What's new

ASUS GT-AX6000 vs GT-AXE11000 vs RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

Thinking of getting one of these 2 routers since the AX86U PRO seems like it will never release. I am interested in good coverage and low latency. I thought the GT-AXE11000 would be the obvious choice but my confusion is it seems to have a 1.8GHz SOC where are the GT-AX6000 has a 2.0 GHz SOC (correct me if I'm wrong). I would have not thought twice about getting the GT-AX6000 since it has the faster SOC and is slightly cheaper but it lacks 6GHz band so less future-proofing.

what about the RT-AX89X? would that be the better choice?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
What router do you have now? What is your goal with an upgrade? What are your ISP speeds? What about your internal LAN speeds?

Are all your wired connected equipment (or some of them) featuring greater than 1GbE Ports? Do you have WiFi 6E client devices?

The RT-AX89X is an old model today that is a good match for some, but it is nothing I would be looking at going forward.

All the AXE models are great to play with, but they also don't give anything more in terms of stability, reliability, and performance if your network isn't based on higher than 1GbE speeds for both WAN and LAN. They certainly don't have anything 'future-proof' about them with Gen 2 products coming down the pipe sooner than later and WiFi 7 products possibly eclipsing everything before that too.

Depending on the router you're upgrading from, the GT-AX6000 can offer ~20% or more increase in throughput, and is the most balanced (hardware) router to buy today if your ISP and LAN connections are 2.5GbE or less.

What router do you have now? What is your goal with an upgrade? What are your ISP speeds? What about your internal LAN speeds?

Are all your wired connected equipment (or some of them) featuring greater than 1GbE Ports? Do you have WiFi 6E client devices?

The RT-AX89X is an old model today that is a good match for some, but it is nothing I would be looking at going forward.

All the AXE models are great to play with, but they also don't give anything more in terms of stability, reliability, and performance if your network isn't based on higher than 1GbE speeds for both WAN and LAN. They certainly don't have anything 'future-proof' about them with Gen 2 products coming down the pipe sooner than later and WiFi 7 products possibly eclipsing everything before that too.

Depending on the router you're upgrading from, the GT-AX6000 can offer ~20% or more increase in throughput, and is the most balanced (hardware) router to buy today if your ISP and LAN connections are 2.5GbE or less.
I have a Nighthawk AX6 RAX50 cheap router

My internet speed is 1gbps down and 300 up. My laptop is connected via the wired connection and I don't have WiFi 6 clients at the moment but I do care about future proofing somehow and the most important is low latency

Last edited:
Told my wife to go to the mall and the GT-AX6000 was out of stock so she got the GT-AXE11000

As long as you can return the GT-AXE11000 (if it doesn't work out for you), all good!

As long as you can return the GT-AXE11000 (if it doesn't work out for you), all good!
I have the box sealed right next to me. I can only return it if it isn't opened (In Dubai, customer service is not as great as you guys in the US have where you can test a product and return it within a certain amount of time if you don't like it) so my only concern is with the slightly slower 1.8GHz Processor on the GT-AXE11000 vs the 2.0 GHz on the GT-AX6000 hurt in any way in terms of website loading/latency?

Last edited:
snap! I didn't realize there is a newer GT-AXE16000 which isn't available here in Dubai locally yet that has the 2.0 GHz CPU I think I won't even bother opening the GT-AXE11000 and end up feeling like I just spent an arm and a leg on yesterware hardware so I'll keep it unopened so I can return it tomorrow and get the GT-AX6000 from another store.

The only justification for older HW is price point.

It's certainly not worth paying MSRP for last gen hardware, but theres an argument if a product is nearly half the cost and performs competitively.

IE: There are 4x4 AC W2 routers from 2017 that absolutely destroy modern entry 2x2 AX routers in regards to general range/penetration as one key aspect. (generalization)

Not saying a 2x2 AX router is 100% worse as throughput is generally better on newer HW, though it may not penetrate as well as a higher end 4x4 (or 8x8 teamed) router.

The same goes from overall design... I had bad luck with my GT-AX6000, though it may be the overall profile of design or simply amplification being faulty on my specific sample vs my home layout. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the the RT-AC86U 3 years ago and still loving it, I wish I could have AX for the 2.4 (more stable for my IOT network, but I took care of that with an cheap AX travel router from GL.iNet) but besides that the AC of the 5.0 it's more than enough for my 1gb connection :cool:

Just got the AX6000 and straight out of the box without any tweaks using the latest ASUS firmware, I am getting an A Grade in Buffer bloat on my 1gbps down/300 mbps up connection where my previous Netgear Nighthawk AX6 would get a C or B grade

buffer.png

Result

Last edited:
Just got the AX6000 and straight out of the box without any tweaks using the latest ASUS firmware, I am getting an A Grade in Buffer bloat on my 1gbps down/300 mbps up connection where my previous Netgear Nighthawk AX6 would get a C or B grade

View attachment 46335
This was my experience as well after buying the GT-AX6000 recently. I get all A's now where before it was always C's. I have Xfinity 400Mbps/10Mbps but I'm getting 475/12 with the overprovisioning they do. I'm coming from a RT-AC66_B1 so it's a vast improvement all around and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited: