What's new

ASUS GT-AX89X and GT-AX11000 AIMesh w/2.5G Ethernet backhaul speed issue with GT-AX11000 on 5Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrblackcity

New Around Here
Hello everyone as listed in the title I have a GT-AX89X as my main router have 2 gig internet and with a 10G sfp+ copper adapter running at 2.5G to feed my node GT-AX11000. No matter what I do I cant connect no faster than 288 mbps on 5ghz on the second unit. I tried disabling the second 5 ghz, reducing signal power, channel changing, even channel bandwidth from 40 to 160. If I run them as individual routers I get full speed, but once it goes into AIMesh I have nothing but issues with the second unit. I do want to make it clear there is no issue with the AX-89X so I feel like this might be a setup issue or software issue. I also have the latest firmwares on both units as well. I even tried tring the latest 388 beta on the AX-89X to see will that uncover anything.

Thank you in advance.

Is Smart Connect enabled? Are you using QoS on the 89X? I found having these on impacted my wireless speed on my main router and the nodes.

rt-ax89x 10Gbps.jpg

Asus says SFP+ interface is not compatible with 1 Gigabit data rate.
That's why I use the 1 Gbps to my node RT-ax86u. I get around 900 Mbps on both.
My plan is 1Gbps
I also don't use the 388 software on the RT-AX86U because the 89X doesn't have 388 yet. see my signature.

I think I figured it out, the reason I was getting low TX, RX rates on my node router and I don't know if that's a fact but I changed my security to wpa/wpa2 I was on wpa2/wpa3 (possible bug with asus firmware on AX11000) I'll do more testing and I'll report here. Thank you for your quick responses.

Well I lied 20 minutes later everything went to TX 286.8 and RX 286.8 on the 5ghz band and to answer the previous questions no QoS and no Smart Connect.

Heres what I'm talking about with a low phy rate.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.33.58.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.33.58.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.28.29.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.28.29.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 102
If you go through the RT-AX89X threads on the forum, you'll see there've been a number of issues with the SFP+ port such as the copper transceiver module plugged in getting uncomfortably hot and affecting wired and wireless speeds. Before I got my 10Gbe switch I'd simply use the 1G (RJ45) ports on the RT-AX89X to run wired ethernet backhaul to both my GT-AXE11000 AiMesh nodes and that worked out pretty well in terms of both wired and wireless speeds.

Like the post earlier, the SFP+ port supports only 1G or 10G speeds. You can see that in the GUI's LAN tab, under the Switch Control tab as well. Yours might have been detected as 1G which will impact Wifi speeds on the AiMesh node due to overhead.

If there is a 2.5G ethernet backhaul, you should be able to see it in the GUI's AiMesh tab, click on the node and the Network tab on the right. Under Uplink Type there should be a 2.5Gbps symbol.

Heres what I'm talking about with a low phy rate.

Do you see similar low link rate reported on each client? Is each client connection reported in the router Wireless Log using the expected number of spacial streams (NSS), typically 2 or 3?

OE

If you go through the RT-AX89X threads on the forum, you'll see there've been a number of issues with the SFP+ port such as the copper transceiver module plugged in getting uncomfortably hot and affecting wired and wireless speeds. Before I got my 10Gbe switch I'd simply use the 1G (RJ45) ports on the RT-AX89X to run wired ethernet backhaul to both my GT-AXE11000 AiMesh nodes and that worked out pretty well in terms of both wired and wireless speeds.

Like the post earlier, the SFP+ port supports only 1G or 10G speeds. You can see that in the GUI's LAN tab, under the Switch Control tab as well. Yours might have been detected as 1G which will impact Wifi speeds on the AiMesh node due to overhead.

If there is a 2.5G ethernet backhaul, you should be able to see it in the GUI's AiMesh tab, click on the node and the Network tab on the right. Under Uplink Type there should be a 2.5Gbps symbol.
Thank you for your reply, I have no issue with wired speeds. I'm having issues with 5ghz on my AIMesh client. Wireless works great on the 89X

I've found on my 89X that the speed shown on the screen captures you posted wasn't completely accurate. Sometimes it was artificially low and sometimes it was artificially high. Have you guy a speed test on those 5GHz clients to verify they won't go faster than the speed shown on your router GUI?

I've found on my 89X that the speed shown on the screen captures you posted wasn't completely accurate. Sometimes it was artificially low and sometimes it was artificially high. Have you guy a speed test on those 5GHz clients to verify they won't go faster than the speed shown on your router GUI?
I have and it generally correlate with the speeds that is listed on the webgui.