What's new

ASUS GT-AXE16000 losing connection after changing settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GamerKingFaiz

New Around Here
I've noticed this happening awhile now but finally decided to dig into it tonight.
I upgraded to the latest stable (non-beta) firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24329 and began testing.

I found adding or removing a DHCP reservation in the webgui reliably takes down my network.
Pings to local IPs (e.g. 192.168.1.3) and external IPs (e.g. 1.1.1.1) all start failing until the router is done applying the change.

Here are the logs that I captured from the router's System Log tab. Hopefully someone can deduce what may be causing this problem.

I see errors regarding bond0, so I wonder if the LAN1 & LAN2 port that I have bonded are causing troubles for the router, or if that error is just a red herring.

Normal operation. Changing a DHCP reservation restarts the DHCP Server and the WIFI so the client(s) get the new settings.

Should restarting WiFi also disconnect wired clients? Because another time I remember getting disconnected was when I disabled the guest network on the router.

Are there certain operations that guarantee a disconnect? I wish it was more clear so that I don't have my wife yelling at me for what I thought was to be a simple change. 😅 Some warning before you confirm would be nice. 😀

Restarting the wifi will most certainly disconnect clients until it comes back up.

Best limit your dinking with things to times you have the network all to yourself.

I guess I was hoping it could maintain connection to wired clients.

It'd be really nice if it gave a warning prompt, letting you know that this action will take down the network temporarily.

If the settings you're changing affect only the radios (like channel or wifi class) but not any routing / firewall / bridging functions the wired network may stay up. Never really paid that close attention.

Should restarting WiFi also disconnect wired clients? Because another time I remember getting disconnected was when I disabled the guest network on the router.

Are there certain operations that guarantee a disconnect? I wish it was more clear so that I don't have my wife yelling at me for what I thought was to be a simple change. 😅 Some warning before you confirm would be nice. 😀

Changing anything on DHCP will "disconnect" everything depending on DHCP. For those to get the new setting. It would be really odd otherwise, some clients would have old settings, some new.
That's one of those operations. Another is changing mostly everything on wifi. That will not affect wired clients, just all wireless.
Port forwarding - at least first one will restart routing and disconnect everything.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!