What's new

ASUS GT-BE98 Pro Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Read as:

Please help, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're the only hope. 🙏

Last edited:
Read as:

Please help, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're the only hope. 🙏
I won't be actively using it until I get source code for it, so I can't really help with testing/debugging. I recommend people with issues to contact Asus. If there are any real issue, I see no reason why they wouldn't address them. It may just take some time. It's very possible that the product was rushed out, but let's be honest: that's the case for 90% of products these days. Even games often have a "day 1 patch" available, meaning that between the "went gold" date and the moment the product shipped, a lot of missing fixes were still being worked on. That obviously mean they knew they were shipping an unfinished product.

MLO is also still MIA because upstream the SOC manufacturer hadn't finalized it yet on their own end. I suspect most people missed the fine prints on Asus' marketing that indicated that MLO was expected to be added "at a later date".

How many times on these forums have multiple people advised against rushing out to buy a new $700 product before they have even read a single review about the product?

For a quick test I did AiMesh an RT-BE96U with it, so I could ensure it worked (I have no Wifi 7 client).

1708975254396.png

I have no real way to test the actual throughput however, I don't have any client with anything faster than 2.5 Gbps Ethernet.

Question: How is the 10 GbE port performing in Upload latency with the BE98 Pro?

Just curious since AXE16K 10GbE ports have crappy upload latencies, at least here it gaves me C grade line in bufferbloat tests (+60ms upload) whereas my AX86U gave me A/A+ with the same ISP/spee
I was able to get close to 5gbps up/downloads from my MAC MIN M2. However the internet speed test from the router is still bad, around 4gbps down/3.3gbps upload. this is pretty much same as AXE16K numbers, no difference at all. 10gbps lan speeds are almost close to 9gbps up/down.
The major annoying issues are
- intermittent slow Wi-Fi. When it works, I was able to get 2100mbps on my s24ultra
- USB disk streaming chokes frequently
-The router memory slowly maxes out to 2GB. May be a memory leak issue.

Do I count?
LOL, We are eagerly waiting for your firmware support on this router. :)

Last edited:
There is a huge gap between Asus' marketing and development lately. Even the cheapest RT-AX86U Pro model is still unfinished product - doesn't have the advertised long time ago Pro firmware. It was released in late 2022, now is 2024 already. Also not very clear what Asuswrt 5.0 is going to be. This Asus published page here shows GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro as the only compatible Asuswrt 5.0 models and with screenshots from ExpertWiFi firmware with the white GUI. What is going on? WTF*?

* - For who doesn't know, WTF here in Canada officially means "Where's The Funds". The development funds in this case. More info here. 🤭

Last edited:
nd with screenshots from ExpertWiFi firmware with the white GUI. What is going on? WTF*?
That UI is strictly for ExpertWifi devices, just like the red ROG UI is strictly for the ROG models. Different UIs for different markets.

I was able to get close to 5gbps up/downloads from my MAC MIN M2. However the internet speed test from the router is still bad, around 4gbps down/3.3gbps upload. this is pretty much same as AXE16K numbers, no difference at all. 10gbps lan speeds are almost close to 9gbps up/down.
The major annoying issues are
- intermittent slow Wi-Fi. When it works, I was able to get 2100mbps on my s24ultra
- USB disk streaming chokes frequently
-The router memory slowly maxes out to 2GB. May be a memory leak issue.

LOL, We are eagerly waiting for your firmware support on this router. :)
I can usually only get 400 mbps down but 1 gbps up when doing wifi speed tests using my ISP's speedtest.net server. Ethernet is full 1 gbps/1 gbps over the speed test. Same behavior as my AX11000. The speed test built into the firmware only does like 600 down.

That said, it will do the full 1 gbps down over Wi-Fi when actually downloading from a server.

Makes 0 sense to me but I've learned I can only trust Internet speed tests over Ethernet.

I was running my “sample” from 11/30, with 5 nodes. It was running great. Then I got AT&T fiber and had that plus cable modem for about 20 days Dual WAN with load balancing. It was running flawlessly. When I cancelled the cable modem service at the end of January all of a sudden bugginess started creeping in. There is one acquaintance I know from ASUS’s forum that had trouble with the 10 Gig Port as WAN. I was very perplexed as I had been using both 10 G and 2.5 G ports in Dual WAN….

I'm temporarily hiding the posts related to a non public beta firmware as I want to check first with Asus if they are OK with this being publicly shared or not.

In general, people should not share any beta firmware they are provided with unless explicitly allowed to do so by Asus. Some of these images may contain major issues as they have not been properly tested yet, and are generally provided only on a case-by-case basis for specific issues.

I'll republish the posts once I hear back from Asus that this firmware image is OK for being shared.

I am removing the posts, since Asus RD couldn't confirm the origin and they asked for it to be removed. Any firmware provided by them should be considered private, unless they explicitly provide permission to share it, or the file comes from an official source (like their support site).

I was running my “sample” from 11/30, with 5 nodes. It was running great. Then I got AT&T fiber and had that plus cable modem for about 20 days Dual WAN with load balancing. It was running flawlessly. When I cancelled the cable modem service at the end of January all of a sudden bugginess started creeping in. There is one acquaintance I know from ASUS’s forum that had trouble with the 10 Gig Port as WAN. I was very perplexed as I had been using both 10 G and 2.5 G ports in Dual WAN….
The firmware dated 11/30 is so buggy, you would be better off with the factory shipped firmware though it has issues with s24 ultra :)

The firmware dated 11/30 is so buggy, you would be better off with the factory shipped firmware though it has issues with s24 ultra :)
Samsung’s S24-series, like the last several previous models, all have WiFi issues no matter which router is used. The issues are all due to Samsung using proprietary firmware for the WiFi modules, as discussed elsewhere in this forum. Other vendors use the same WiFi chipsets and firmware made by the chipset vendor, and they do NOT have the WiFi issues Samsung’s phones have.

Has anyone heard anything about the next update? This is very disappointing that they have not done a single update for the PRO version. I continue to have issues with my S24 ultra saying its on Wifi 6 and I am standing 5 feet away from the router. I have tried everything on here and contacted Samsung. They have put out 3 updates, so I am thinking its Asus. Also my other non Asus Wifi 7 router works fine.

Has anyone heard anything about the next update? This is very disappointing that they have not done a single update for the PRO version. I continue to have issues with my S24 ultra saying its on Wifi 6 and I am standing 5 feet away from the router. I have tried everything on here and contacted Samsung. They have put out 3 updates, so I am thinking its Asus. Also my other non Asus Wifi 7 router works fine.
Nope it’s Samsung. I have several neighbors with Galaxy S23 Ultras and S24 Ultras; none of them connect to WiFi 6E (6GHz)/7. We’ve tried Netgear, Eero, Linksys, and Asus, same result. Yet iPhone 15’s and Pixel 8’s have no issues connecting to 6 GHz or WiFi 7 (Pixel 8).

The 6 GHz issue has been an issue for Samsung phones ever since WiFi 6E came out.

Nope it’s Samsung. I have several neighbors with Galaxy S23 Ultras and S24 Ultras; none of them connect to WiFi 6E (6GHz)/7. We’ve tried Netgear, Eero, Linksys, and Asus, same result. Yet iPhone 15’s and Pixel 8’s have no issues connecting to 6 GHz or WiFi 7 (Pixel 8).

The 6 GHz issue has been an issue for Samsung phones ever since WiFi 6E came out.
6 GHz is also iffy with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S9, while it works fine with my Pixel 7 and three different laptops (all three used the same Intel AX211 card tho).

OneUI 6 seemed to improve things a bit with the tablet, it went from "impossible to use" to "it works, but it's unreliable".

Samsung issues with wifi ain't new. Wifi on my previous Galaxy Tab S5e was nothing to write home about, with its single stream radio despite the fact that my two previous tablets were dual stream years before that. A lot of people back then had wifi connectivity issues with their Tab S5e.

Yea I don't see samsung ever really fix their wifi issues if they haven't done it for like 4-5 different generation of phones yet. Might convince me to use a different phone in future. We'll see. At least for now my s22 ultra works fairly good with the smart connect feature combining 5ghz with the two 6ghz, after assigning different 6E channels manually.

The 6 GHz issue has been an issue for Samsung phones ever since WiFi 6E came out.I wondewr

The strange thing is my Eero Max Wifi 7 does not have that issue. At work I run Unifi (Ubiquiti) and have 4 of the new Unifi Wifi 7 access points. My S24 Ultra connects perfect every time. Zero 6Ghz issues and always shows Wifi 7.

The strange thing is my Eero Max Wifi 7 does not have that issue. At work I run Unifi (Ubiquiti) and have 4 of the new Unifi Wifi 7 access points. My S24 Ultra connects perfect every time. Zero 6Ghz issues and always shows Wifi 7.
You just actually proved my point that it’s NOT the routers as the cause. It’s a mileage may vary situation. They work for some people but not others, regardless of router vendor and model.

You just actually proved my point that it’s NOT the routers as the cause. It’s a mileage may vary situation. They work for some people but not others, regardless of router vendor and model.
Sorry, lets run that logic.

Phone works with Router 1. Phone works with Router 2. Phone does not work with router 3, means its the phone? I see two good sets and one bad. If the phone works with every other router fine. Then only when using the Asus it has issues, it must be the phone? Sorry your logic does not work. No offense.

I agree Samsung Wifi sucks at 6ghz. I disabled 6Ghz to test and only had 5ghz on, with Wifi 7 enabled. Same thing, 5 feet away and it shows Wifi 6 for the icon when connected and not Wifi 7. It randomly will work.

Other issue is, it will be on Wifi 7, I open a game and start playing. After 10 secs the game says no internet. I have to exit the game. Then checking the Wifi icon, it show Wifi 7 no bars, I am 10 feet from the router and no walls. I then disable and re enable. Then it shows connected Wifi 6.

There's tons of issues with the BE98 Pro and it's not getting any updates. Patience is not the problem here there's one word and it's called Incompetence on Asus's part.

Here's a handful of BE 98 Pro issues.

1) Will not respect AI Mesh rules set by the user as to optimal path for mesh to mesh connections! it will constantly try to choose the "Worst signal path and override the user"
2) Has horrible throughput regardless of the speed of the connection shown in the UI of the router (I have multiples of this router hooked up anywhere from 5-7GBPS to each other yet the link to devices dispute being low dbm and high signal can't output anything worth a damn.
3) Settings won't save or update properly on the ui
4) Constant slown down/freezing of the connections , Example you will try to do a speed test and it will just hang/freeze and then continue and at times it's going example the link speed is 1gbps + on the device but the speed is 1mbps..... through to the net or the network. Then it will reset itself and maybe give you 1/10th or 2/10ths the speed.
5) Device will be in excellent connection -40-50db range high connection rate and it won't even reach 1/10th the speed and it will just constantly fluctuate and freeze and reconnect.
6) Router chooses poor bands that are worse performing if left on auto for the environment.
7) Setting manual channel will cause the router to not output at full capacity.
8) UI doesn't display info at times rebooting etc won't solve it it's just blank at times the connection speed of mesh to mesh nodes some show it others don't no matter what. but all signal strength values do show at the top and the bar.

list goes on and on.. Your a multi billion dollar company with resources and you expect people to be patient how long 3 months? 4 months? 6 months? You do update the None pro but the Pro is left in the dust, oh wait how come? Aren't they the same base with just some minor differences? Or do you have to totally write everything from scratch for the Pro model?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!