What's new

ASUS GuestNetwork in Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mariva

Occasional Visitor
Hi together,

first sorry for my english i try my best to explain.

Im new at this forum and hope someone can help me or give me some advice.

I have 2 of this : Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh AC1900 Dual-Band

One is on in my Base and one on first floor. I configured one of this as MESH, works well.

Now i opened a 2.4Ghz guest network. i thought the guestnetwork goes through mesh too.
but no its only on the master system in the base. so my guest on first floor has no internet.

After this i tried today a custom firmware Merlin RT-AC68U_384.19_0 the new firmware works but the problem with guest network mesh still exists.

Is this possible with this kind of router ? Do i have any change to solve this problem ?

option 2:
i deleted the mesh an made a accesspoint router on my first floor and created the same ssid wlan like on the master system.
now my guest has super internet connection but badly access to my local network. is it possible to create like a guest lan port or something. ?

option 3:

i buy any other solution thats works like i want.

i hope some of you guys know how to solve this issue.

thank you in advance.
greetings

Hi together,

first sorry for my english i try my best to explain.

Im new at this forum and hope someone can help me or give me some advice.

I have 2 of this : Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh AC1900 Dual-Band

One is on in my Base and one on first floor. I configured one of this as MESH, works well.

Now i opened a 2.4Ghz guest network. i thought the guestnetwork goes through mesh too.
but no its only on the master system in the base. so my guest on first floor has no internet.

After this i tried today a custom firmware Merlin RT-AC68U_384.19_0 the new firmware works but the problem with guest network mesh still exists.

Is this possible with this kind of router ? Do i have any change to solve this problem ?

option 2:
i deleted the mesh an made a accesspoint router on my first floor and created the same ssid wlan like on the master system.
now my guest has super internet connection but badly access to my local network. is it possible to create like a guest lan port or something. ?

option 3:

i buy any other solution thats works like i want.

i hope some of you guys know how to solve this issue.

thank you in advance.
greetings

Asus guest WLANs are currently only supported on the router/AP/AiMesh 1.0 root node. And, guest WLANs on an AP are not properly isolated.

However, AiMesh 2.0 in beta here will support guest WLANs with proper isolation on all nodes.

OE

Asus guest WLANs are currently only supported on the router/AP/AiMesh 1.0 root node. And, guest WLANs on an AP are not properly isolated.

However, AiMesh 2.0 in beta here will support guest WLANs with proper isolation on all nodes.

OE
Hi exactly thats my problem too. im would switch the hardware and move away from asus if there anything else that work like i need it.

you tried this beta software on AC67U ? im a bit afraid of beta :p

As an inexpensive solution (maybe temporary), buy one or more repeater/range extenders and use them to propagate your guest SSID (the one on the main router). I have been doing this for years using a $15 US TP-Link (2.4 GHz only) WA855RE. If you must have both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands, use an RE450. I only use the guest SSID for IoT stuff like lights/cameras/controllers. So speed isn't a problem.

you tried this beta software on AC67U ? im a bit afraid of beta :p

I am running AiMesh 2.0 RC2-5 on my 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh.

OE

As an inexpensive solution (maybe temporary), buy a repeater/range extender and use it to propagate your guest SSID (the one on the main router). I have been doing this for years using a $15 US TP-Link (2.4 GHz only) WA855RE. If you must have both 2.4 & 5 GHz bands, use an RE450. I only use the guest SSID for IoT stuff like lights/cameras/controllers. So speed isn't a problem.
Hi Ronald,

ye i tried this already but its not satisfied, still bad connection and i dont like an setup like repeaters.

i already started the installation of this beta firmware i will give it a chance and hope the best :)

i will write my results

Be sure to flash the firmware, reset to factory defaults, and then configure the firmware... in that order.

OE
Yep made it this way. works until now. i setup all again fresh and opened an guest wifi. unfortunately my phone cant connect to this guest network.
passwort is correct , in ends up with an failure: bad ip config.

i removed it already and tried again.

you have any hint ?

thanks again.

EDIT: Hd to switc the guest wlan setting to: Sync to AiMesh Node : router only.

i thought this should be sync to all nodes ???

Last edited:
Yep made it this way. works until now. i setup all again fresh and opened an guest wifi. unfortunately my phone cant connect to this guest network.
passwort is correct , in ends up with an failure: bad ip config.

i removed it already and tried again.

you have any hint ?

thanks again.

EDIT: Hd to switc the guest wlan setting to: Sync to AiMesh Node : router only.

i thought this should be sync to all nodes ???

Is it an iPhone? Did you forget the client connection and try again?

The guest WLAN setup lets you choose router only or all nodes... I'm not sure what you are seeing there. Select all nodes to sync the guest WLAN to all nodes.

OE

Is it an iPhone? Did you forget the client connection and try again?

The guest WLAN setup lets you choose router only or all nodes... I'm not sure what you are seeing there. Select all nodes to sync the guest WLAN to all nodes.

OE
Nope, Android MIUI.

I dont know, sometimtes it seems to work. sometimes not.

I removed Ethernet Backhaule and switched on my Node to "prefer Ethernet". Now i have atleast WLAN :)

Thank you anyways for your support.

Do we know when or if a stable firmware with Mesh 2.0 releases official from Asus ?

Do we know when or if a stable firmware with Mesh 2.0 releases official from Asus ?

We don't when, but Asus has persisted with AiMesh and is expected to release a stable AiMesh 2.0 firmware.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!