What's new

ASUS Lyra Home Wi-Fi System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry about that. Should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks, it works now.
Going to buy Velop when I get home from vacation tomorrow. Then I can decide between Orbi and Velop.

My Lyra return period is up tomorrow so I will have to return it; I did try with the beta firmware (support was great and emailed me the link upon request) which is supposed to have the performance improvements already, so I doubt the next general release firmware will make any difference for me anyway.

Sorry about that. Should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

By the way, only the 'Total Rank' view works. I assume that is by design for the time being (e.g. while other metrics are being updated)?
I would also love to compare the wifi systems on each individual category. Hope that will be ready soon?

Ran a quick test of backhaul with 11142 firmware. No change in bandwidth. Sent results and logs to ASUS.

Part of the problem could be low signal level, at least as indicated by node connection lines on ASUS app. Question is why. All products are tested under same conditions and have much higher bandwidth.

Question is why. All products are tested under same conditions and have much higher bandwidth.

there are two issues that may come to mind

1. transmission being to close to source as indicated in the test procedure

2. test architecture being incorrect

again , pull the lyra out of the chamber and test the old way in your house , if you get the same results then sure it indicates something else is wrong

if however the signal improves you know where to look

if it doesnt more investigation is needed

still waiting on my test units here but will post when i have repeatable results

Question is why. All products are tested under same conditions

but are the lyra and its functionality the same ? esp those so called active antennas for backhaul ?

if the fw didnt change anything then maybe you need to look at the topology and method and testing in open air might answer a thing or two

Glad I decided to get the eero V1 (just before V2 release at a great price). I waited for ASUS who delayed their release. Thanks Tim, as always, for your review.

Ran a quick test of backhaul with 11142 firmware. No change in bandwidth. Sent results and logs to ASUS.

Part of the problem could be low signal level, at least as indicated by node connection lines on ASUS app. Question is why. All products are tested under same conditions and have much higher bandwidth.

Over on that Amazon thread TKH posted signal strength figures a several days ago:

<Quote>
According to FCC documents, Lyra has a power output

2.412-2.462 GHz 752 mW
5.18-5.24 GHz 108 mW
5.745-5.825 GHz 318 mW

The output power at 5G is underwhelming, considering similar products have a power output of ~800mW at 5G.

For Velop, the output power is

2.412-2.462 GHz 783 mW
5.18-5.24 GHz 765 mW
5.745-5.825 GHz 938 mW
<\Quote>
(Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/R355YWTSJL/?tag=snbforums-20

A query was sent to the ASUS PM about that, but nothing back yet. Any notions about why they'd design it that way.?

Still deciding whether to unpack my Velop (bought last night) and spend time trying it out, or just stick with my reliable and great-performing Orbi. I could then spend the extra few hours going out for a Sunday afternoon with my wife to enjoy my last day before I return back to work after a week long vacation.
Either way I will go out but it is already 1:33 PM...

One thing I like about Velop is that it is expandable (true mesh vs hub and spoke design of the Orbi) but since I get great performance as it is with Orbi, not sure I will benefit from Velop.
Also Orbi has more ethernet ports so it eliminates the need to use a switch (I already have a switch if need be though).
Velop's smaller size is also enticing I must admit.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Curious to hear the experience of others here who have tried both...
Anyway, let me stick to posting about that in the overall wifi system thread, as this is supposed to be a Lyra thread, oops.

Last edited:
I am really disappointed the Velop isn't in the Asus article as a comparison. Is it possible to update the review and include the Velop?

Okay. I'm just not sure why Velop was omitted. It seems to be one of the best-selling Mesh systems on the market.
Velop wasn't retested yet at time of review.

Like you have said, it could be the due to the low backhaul transmission power resulting in poor performance as from those FCC documents? Let ASUS TW do their investigate work and update you accordingly.

I'm curious as well :p

Hi, are you gonna make some firmware to asus lyra in the future?you have good firmware :)

The advertised new firmware that should have come out 2 weeks ago and should fix the horrible speeds is still an empty promise, correct?
I returned my Lyra in the meantime....

It has been stated, by a user who has been running the new beta firmware for a while now and with great results, that Asus was in the process of uploading the new firmware and 'should' be there within 48 hours. We shall see.

Here you goes ;)

ASUS Lyra firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.11272 ~ 15/09/2017

Add

- Dedicated backhaul control options. (administration page)
- Beta support AP mode*. (administration page)

*Please be noted if change Lyra to AP mode, then Lyra under AP mode can’t not be controlled/monitored through Lyra App.
Instead, you can control or monitor Lyra through Web GUI.

Fix

- Guest network not working properly.
- DFS mechanism handling.
- Enhance WiFi credentials sync up mechanism.
- General stability improvement.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 8dcd5e2e11ad3dc7ca19e47b6105f55d

Download ~> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/Lyra/FW_MAP_AC2200_300438211272.zip

Any updates on this review post firmware updates? Debating picking it up after a lackluster experience with Orbi and eero.

Any updates on this review post firmware updates?

things have gone a bit quite on the lyra front , havnt even seen many reviews at all , what was the issue with the orbi for you as the orbi rbk50 set here is still better than the lyra

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!