What's new

ASUS Lyra Home Wi-Fi System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, it's really quiet about these, why is that?
On Asus own forum nothing is going on either...
I'm curious to find out if the latest firmware helped at all. I'm putting in a new WiFi-system at home. Too bad these don't seem to hold up. The orbi gets glowing reviews, but their forum is full of disappointment with some really bad issues. Netgear launches new firmware quite often but often new issues arises or old ones is not solved.
Maybe all this wireless mesh thing is in it's early stages with lots of problems. I can't cope with that, I want a reliable, stable WiFi that just works. I'll go with Ubiquiti Unifi instead and wired AP's... Seems more solid.

Very interesting to hear if you get a reply...
Can't find much about these online, neither user or professional reviews. Amazon has some user reviews, which are not very flattering. It's a shame, I really like the fact they can easily be wallmounted and the specs seem ok.... In theory.
Orbi has better reviews both on Amazon and not least in your tests. But their forum is filled with unhappy customers. Seems for many problems have spread after some time, especially after fw updates where people experience internet dropouts, satellites losing connection and speed dropping. I can live with a small percentage of failing units, but I feel very hesitant to drop that amount of money on something that may or may not work fine.

... But their forum is filled with unhappy customers...

I have yet to see a manufacturer's own support forum filled primarily with people singing the praises of the product ;) Almost all posts in such forums are always going to be about problems.

I've had the Orbi since it launched last fall, and although I've never had any major issues with it, it's admittedly not always perfect (but what router is?)

Overall, it's been a very strong and impressively consistent solution for me, since I don't have the capability to set up wired APs.

But I think this whole concept of mesh & mesh-like wireless systems is proving to be a much tougher nut to crack than anticipated for all manufacturers... Such systems introduce exponentially more wild-card variables in terms of hardware & software interoperability across various devices and physical setups, so it's often maddening for manu's and end-users alike to diagnose why the very same system will work perfectly well well in one environment, but be an utter trainwreck in some other environment.

I have yet to see a manufacturer's own support forum filled primarily with people singing the praises of the product ;) Almost all posts in such forums are always going to be about problems.

I've had the Orbi since it launched last fall, and although I've never had any major issues with it, it's admittedly not always perfect (but what router is?)

Overall, it's been a very strong and impressively consistent solution for me, since I don't have the capability to set up wired APs.

But I think this whole concept of mesh & mesh-like wireless systems is proving to be a much tougher nut to crack than anticipated for all manufacturers... Such systems introduce exponentially more wild-card variables in terms of hardware & software interoperability across various devices and physical setups, so it's often maddening for manu's and end-users alike to diagnose why the very same system will work perfectly well well in one environment, but be an utter trainwreck in some other environment.
Yeah, of course, the unhappy are probably far more likely to post on forums, expressing their feelings and searching for help. I totally understand that, but I get a little hesitant because from what I read over there many have the system working fine, and then after a update problems start to occur...
But otherwise I agree with you 100%, I think there are so many factors in a system like this so it's inevitable problems will surface.
I'm happy for your positive experience. I'd probably be more interested in the SRK-60 system because of the wall-mounting possibility.
I will probably go with as unifi AP system though, then I can hade Network cables on the attic, drive the AP's with POE and not having to worry about power cables aswell..

Edit: If you have time, please enlighten me of your findings on the orbi, positive and negative?
Connection/speed stability? Range? Fw updates?

I have the RBK50 (router and just 1 sat), and 100/10 Comcast service. My Orbi is my main routing unit on my modem (it's not an AP).

I get ~120/12 on all devices connected to router or sat anywhere in my house and front/back yard (smaller city lot), so coverage and speeds are consistently really great for me.

Some of the firmware releases have been better than others (of course), but I've never had show-stopper issues with any of them.

If the firmware seems to be a relatively minor maintenance release, I don't do a factory-reset, but whenever I have the time to go through that process with new firmware, I will... I've always been a big believer that can clear out any lingering gremlins.

Beyond that, it's then just some trial-&-error trying to get a configuration that works well for you. That starts with finding a good spot for your sat unit(s), and then playing around with software setting-options.

And I'd say that's the most maddening part, but that element of experimentation is necessary with any router. What works well for one user may not work at all for another user, so it really does boil down to spending time tinkering with the options for your own environment.

But with these mesh/mesh-type systems, that process is compounded by the fact that you are dinking around with what's effectively 2,3, or more "routers".

None of these mesh-type systems are yet as "fire-&-forget" as the manufacturers would like to you to believe, but we all gotta start somewhere!

but I feel very hesitant to drop that amount of money on something that may or may not work fine.
Then don't. The signs all point to something not quite right with the product.

I have the RBK50 (router and just 1 sat), and 100/10 Comcast service. My Orbi is my main routing unit on my modem (it's not an AP).....

Sounds great!
Many video reviews I've seen seem to conclude the Orbi has both great range/speed and is probably the best among these new WiFi systems regarding this.
I like the dedicated backhaul channel and those extra lan-ports aswell...
If there were fewer complaints by long time users I'd probably buy it...

Then don't. The signs all point to something not quite right with the product.
No, I'll go for a unifi system.
USG, US-8 switch 60w, UAP AC-LR for my main area + probably another LR or Lite to reach the further part of the house.
You have no plans to review the Unifi LR? Would be interesting to see how it compares to the Lite. Specs look similar, but the LR supposedly has better antennas for some extra range. Altough range of course depends on the client aswell....
I hope for a little bit stronger signal within 30-40 feet of the AP.

I have it. It seems to work OK as long as you don't care about Parental Controls; the app for that is an absolute joke. I have detailed reviews on Amazon and iTunes app store for the app. There's other weird bugs in the software too, like saying wireless stuff is attached to wired, and missing host names, etc. If you have a specific question, I can try to answer. No real issues with connectivity, phones and tablets always seem to have a decent connection, but I haven't really tested to see how aggressively they attach to 5GHz vs 2.4. I have better radio coverage throughout my property than I had with two airport extremes--for whatever that's worth. VPN works fine, kids seem to not complain about lag in games anymore, no more buffering when streaming 4K movies...

I have it. It seems to work OK as long as you don't care about Parental Controls; the app for that is an absolute joke. I have detailed reviews on Amazon and iTunes app store for the app. There's other weird bugs in the software too, like saying wireless stuff is attached to wired, and missing host names, etc. If you have a specific question, I can try to answer. No real issues with connectivity, phones and tablets always seem to have a decent connection, but I haven't really tested to see how aggressively they attach to 5GHz vs 2.4. I have better radio coverage throughout my property than I had with two airport extremes--for whatever that's worth. VPN works fine, kids seem to not complain about lag in games anymore, no more buffering when streaming 4K movies...

Sounds like really annoying stuff?
Having to turn off built in features as a fix for problems is not satisfactory.
How's Asus support?
One thing I've seen regarding Netgear is that they have 90 days support, after that you need to pay. You'd think a company should step up and acknowledge flaws in their products and offer free support until common major issues are solved?

Asus support is good to a degree in that they actually respond and have been proactive to some degree in acknowledging the issues. So now it's just a waiting game to see if they actually fix them at some point.

Well that's something anyway...
But I can't help feeling a bit depressed when support is considered pretty good because they actually respond?
It's really hard to get qualified help, that goes for many products. You just give up calling when you've been thru 3-4 people, everyone asking if you restarted the product, more advanced help than that is rare.

Here's another fun one: The Lyra App's 'PIN' protect feature seems to be implemented client-side only. So nothing stops anyone connected to your network (like your kids) from downloading the app to their iPhone and manipulating router settings (like parental controls).

Here's another fun one: The Lyra App's 'PIN' protect feature seems to be implemented client-side only. So nothing stops anyone connected to your network (like your kids) from downloading the app to their iPhone and manipulating router settings (like parental controls).

Really? So you don't need to login with your Asus account credentials in each device you use to change settings?

This must have been fixed in the recent app update. I tried to replicate this with the updated app, and now it prompts you for your Asus account credentials when you first install and try to connect to the Lyra. But one of my kids has the version of the app 1 release prior and he was able to just happily modify his parental controls...

Heard back from ASUS. Said new firmware and app was released last week that improve performance and stability. But latest I find on the ASUS US and Global sites is Version 3.0.0.4.382.11272 2017/09/15.

I'm also told there is another release coming in the next couple of weeks that will make it about as good as it can get for performance.

Heard back from ASUS. Said new firmware and app was released last week that improve performance and stability. But latest I find on the ASUS US and Global sites is Version 3.0.0.4.382.11272 2017/09/15.

I'm also told there is another release coming in the next couple of weeks that will make it about as good as it can get for performance.

A follow-up review to see if performance improves would be very interesting...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!