What's new

ASUS MERLIN Carrier-grade NAT and DDNS issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zillah

Regular Contributor
Hi

According to the link above 7 months old there is no solution unless I have got public ip address

Basically I have got ASUS RT-AC5300 with MERLIN firmware v386.3

My ISP is small ISP and they are using Carrier-grade NAT address as per attached

I know that is not a public ip address

My ISP offers static ip address for $5 I guess this is a go ??

Thx

Attachments

• The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address..jpg
    The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address..jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 307
  • WAN IP address.jpg
    WAN IP address.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 273
  • static ip address $5.jpg
    static ip address $5.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 278
Even if you have the DDNS obtain the real public IP (by setting the check to "External"), the fact that you are behind CGNAT means you can't use any port forwarding anyway. This isn't an issue with DDNS, it's a limitation of CGNAT itself. The router cannot do anything for you about this.

I see
Thx for pointing to port forwarding I totally forgot it
Only way to port forward is to aske your provider to open some ports for you.

Thx octopus
You meant first i need to ring my provider and ask them to open some ports forwarding if they are happy to do so then next step would be to pay to get public ip address ?

Thx octopus
You meant first i need to ring my provider and ask them to open some ports forwarding if they are happy to do so then next step would be to pay to get public ip address ?
You never get public ip address. Only port forwarding. That is CGNAT problem. Yes, Maby you can pay extra to get public ip number.

... then next step would be to pay to get public ip address ?
Yes, if the static IP service is a true public IP address that's allocated to you and not another CGNAT address. Your screen shot is too small to read and we don't know anything about your ISP to say for sure.

Hopefully this screen now is readable it says : Static ip address,,,,,I will ring my ISP to find out what do they by static ip ? Is it public ip address ?

Attachments

• static ip address $5.jpg
    static ip address $5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 190
My ISP is small ISP and they are using Carrier-grade NAT address as per attached

Not sure if AsusWRT supports IPv6 in their DDNS client, but there are DDNS providers that do offer IPv6 capability (no-ip for example).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!