What's new

ASUS Merlin-WRT Updates - When to set back to default settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Potter

New Around Here
When applying a Merlin-WRT update, how does the user know when it is necessary to reset all setting to default and reconfigure the router or whether it is OK to just apply the update. My question is specific to the RT-AC5300 router.

For example, recently during your last v380 to v384 update you did seem to recommend that settings be set back to deafult but have not provided this same guidance for the most recent 384.0 to 384.2 update.

When applying a Merlin-WRT update, how does the user know when it is necessary to reset all setting to default and reconfigure the router or whether it is OK to just apply the update. My question is specific to the RT-AC5300 router.

For example, recently during your last v380 to v384 update you did seem to recommend that settings be set back to deafult but have not provided this same guidance for the most recent 384.0 to 384.2 update.

Generally, but not always, reset is only required when moving from one major release to another. Eg 382 > 384.
Always check the release notes.

For what you’re proposing, no, not required; but again, check the release notes.

Plenty of posts in this forum on the topic of resets. A search & few minutes reading will give you a complete picture.

Last edited:

As suggested by the man his own self. ;)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Generally, but not always,

t is only required when moving from one major release to another. Eg 382 > 384.
Always check the release notes.

For what you’re proposing, no, not required; but again, check the release notes.

Plenty of posts in this forum on the topic of resets. A search & few minutes reading will give you a complete picture.

Have a look at this for future reference....after reading the change log of course.
Code:
https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/