What's new

ASUS N66U and AC68U - Dropping WAN only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey all. So I was actually having the same problem myself for months until I finally figured out what was happening (but not why) and how to fix it.

First let me start by saying I am using the ac68u with FiOS via MoCA. I have my router set up in the following configuration, which once I solved this problem has been working great: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27666920-How-to-Make-Actiontec-MI424WR-Revision-I-Rev-I-a-Network

So here is what was happening in my situation. With the Actiontec router, I had no issues; with the ac68u, intermittent WAN loss with LAN unaffected.

One day, I was on my 1 and only desktop, and I had Internet, no problem, but then I noticed my cell phone is connected to the LAN, but had no WAN connectivity. Sure enough, the router configuration page also showed no WAN IP. So how could I possibly be online on the desktop? Well as it turns out, my desktop, which has a wired connection, was somehow grabbing the WAN IP! For me, this problem was happening about once every 2 weeks or so, so I wonder if it was occurring whenever Verizon assigned me a new IP. I have no idea how or why the WAN IP was completely bypassing the ac68u, which it had to go through to reach my desktop, but somehow it was. With my desktop assigned the WAN IP, nothing else on my network could connect to the Internet.

Once I figured this out, I was able to solve the problem by assigning my desktop a static IP ON THE DESKTOP ITSELF. I originally tried assigning it a static IP through DHCP, but that didn't work, probably for the same reason that the WAN IP was bypassing the router.

Ever since I set my desktop (which I should mention is the only device on my LAN that is not connected via wifi, but rather via ethernet) to utilize a static IP rather than DHCP, my WAN connectivity issues have disappeared.

Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention, my desktop also lost connectivity after a while. Through many calls to tech support I eventually found out that Verizon detected my house trying to pull 2 WAN IPs (my desktop, and then probably the ac68u trying to reconnect) and responded by cutting off all WAN connectivity.

Hopefully this helps some of you!

Last edited:
Also, on a slightly unrelated note, if anyone is using the same router configuration as me (see my previous post) with FiOS, and you are having issues with On Demand working properly or at all as I originally was, I found a solution to that in some obscure corner of the Internet as well (so obscure I can't find it again!).

So it turns out for some strange reason that it is not enough for the Verizon set-top boxes to be connected to the LAN and assigned any old IP address to function properly. The set-top boxes MUST be assigned an IP in the range 192.168.1.1XX (i.e. 100+). It seems really weird to me that they could have an IP of, for example, 192.168.1.22 and not really work at all, but then work perfectly fine when assigned an IP in the 100+ range, but that's what's going on here.

Just assign all your set-top boxes a static IP via DHCP in the range I just mentioned and you will be golden. My 2 boxes are assigned 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102

Last edited:
Or just give the STB's, if possible, a static IP outside of the DHCP scope, which is probably better...

if DHCP Scope == 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150, then assign them outside of that range..

I'd be curious to see if anyone has any idea how my WAN IP could possibly pass through my router and assign itself to my desktop, as I described above, rather than the router grabbing the IP for itself. As I mentioned, I found a solution, but my solution doesn't address the root cause. I've been really curious about how this could even happen at all.

I'd be curious to see if anyone has any idea how my WAN IP could possibly pass through my router and assign itself to my desktop, as I described above, rather than the router grabbing the IP for itself. As I mentioned, I found a solution, but my solution doesn't address the root cause. I've been really curious about how this could even happen at all.

Time to do a reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration of your router?

Time to do a reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration of your router?

I actually did that a few times before I eventually figured out that the WAN IP was being grabbed by my desktop.

Idk if this matters, but my desktop isn't plugged directly into my router, but rather it is connected directly to a LAN MoCA bridge (which is connected to my ac68u via coax; coax connected to the ac68u via the Actiontec).

While my desktop is connected directly to the coax cable, the MoCA bridge providing the connection is solely a LAN MoCA bridge, which is unable to decode the WAN signal. The Actiontec is required in this setup to function as the WAN MoCA bridge, and the Internet signal then needs to pass back into the Actiontec via the ac68u to be avaliable to all LAN MoCA devices (see my router setup linked to a few posts ago). Without the pass-back from the ac68u, I have no Internet for devices connected to my LAN via MoCA (i.e. my desktop and all my set-top boxes)

Last edited:
I would say your connection does matter. But I unfortunately can't help here.

There are others more knowledgeable in MoCa that will give you better recommendations. Give them some time to come here and help. ;)

I had the WAN-dropout, on my RT-AC68U, at semi-regular interval, starting suddenly after months of high, stable performance. Running wireless mode only. My problem was gone after installing the latest non-beta firmware, a coupe of days ago. BUT, I needed to press the reset button for 10 seconds before the problem was solved - it didn't work just by installing the firmware. So, what I don't know is if it was unnecessary to install the new firmware at all. Try with reset button first, that is my suggestion to anyone having this awfully annoying problem.

Huh. I was having the same thing happening for the past couple weeks. Every couple days or so WAN would drop. Router would still show WAN connected, but no internet. Not sure what it was...I was running the merlin fork and even did a factory reset and reapplied settings and still happened. I finally got tired of it and did a factory reset, upgraded to latest Merlin firmware, and also erased the JFFS that was being used for storing traffic data. I am still seeing if the problem reoccurs. So far it hasn't. Fingers crossed.

I had the RTN66U, RT65, RT10, RT12 and they all are doing the same thing, dropping the WAN with different cable modems. I changed the cat5 many times and I also used cat6. Also power supply. I had the newer RT68U and did the same thing after one week, dropping the WAN ISP. I did a factory reset, 30x3 and all that, nothing helped.
This has been happening for years and years and years, regardless if one runs stock or custom firmware. Is a shame because they make good hardware routers.
Is really incomprehensible to me how Asus cannot fix their WAN dropping issue on most of their models for so many years now. There are hundreds if not thousands or reports of this issue all over the internet. And no is not power supply or cat5 or ISP. Is something with their software and or software/hardware combo. The N66U is probably one of the best N consumer router it was an awesome router as far as range and speed, until it started dropping the WAN ISP constantly. I was going to buy another N66U but just reading the newer 2015 reviews same issues remain dropping the WAN. Ill check back end of the year or next year.

I would suggest that Asus work with as many ISP as possible and try to find the root cause of the issue. Run traces from both ends real time, check logs, debug, etc. This should not be too difficult to find and fix.

Last edited:
Thank God i am not alone. I am facing such issues too. I have tried couple of modems to narrow down the issue (linksys AM300, dlink-2730, both is bride mode). I have tried both Merlin and stock firmware.

This is a part of the log file from Asus router,. I have tried on asus forum and anandtech, no help from either. Hope i can get some insight here

Jun 23 09:14:30 pppd[1375]: No response to 10 echo-requests
Jun 23 09:14:30 pppd[1375]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jun 23 09:14:30 pppd[1375]: Connect time 7.0 minutes.
Jun 23 09:14:30 pppd[1375]: Sent 3267789 bytes, received 46084346 bytes.
Jun 23 09:14:30 dnsmasq[261]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Jun 23 09:14:30 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserver xxxxxxx for domain local
Jun 23 09:14:30 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserver xxxxxxxx#53 for domain local
Jun 23 09:14:30 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserverxxxxxxxx
Jun 23 09:14:30 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserver xxxxxx
Jun 23 09:14:31 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Jun 23 09:14:31 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Jun 23 09:14:36 pppd[1375]: Connection terminated.
Jun 23 09:14:36 pppd[1375]: Sent PADT
Jun 23 09:14:36 pppd[1375]: Modem hangup
Jun 23 09:14:46 pppd[1375]: PPP session is 34570 (0x870a)
Jun 23 09:14:46 pppd[1375]: Connected to 00:02:0e:70:06:a0 via interface eth0
Jun 23 09:14:46 pppd[1375]: Using interface ppp0
Jun 23 09:14:46 pppd[1375]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 23 09:14:52 pppd[1375]: PAP authentication succeeded
Jun 23 09:14:52 pppd[1375]: peer from calling number 00:02:0E:70:06:A0 authorized
Jun 23 09:14:52 pppd[1375]: local IP address xxxxxxxxx
Jun 23 09:14:52 pppd[1375]: remote IP address 192.168.1.224
Jun 23 09:14:52 pppd[1375]: primary DNS address 1xxxx
Jun 23 09:14:52 pppd[1375]: secondary DNS address 10xxxxx
Jun 23 09:14:52 rc_service: ip-up 1455:notify_rc start_firewall
Jun 23 09:14:52 dnsmasq[261]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Jun 23 09:14:52 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserver xxxxxxxxxx.5#53 for domain local
Jun 23 09:14:52 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserver xxxxxxxxxxxx.5#53 for domain local
Jun 23 09:14:52 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserver xxxxxxxxxx.5#53
Jun 23 09:14:52 dnsmasq[261]: using nameserverxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#53
Jun 23 09:14:52 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_eth0)!
Jun 23 09:14:53 wan: finish adding multi routes
Jun 23 09:14:53 rc_service: ip-up 1455:notify_rc stop_upnp
Jun 23 09:14:54 rc_service: ip-up 1455:notify_rc start_upnp
Jun 23 09:14:55 ddns update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Jun 23 09:14:55 ddns update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Jun 23 09:14:55 ddns update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 03:44:54 GMT^M Server: Apache/2.4.9 (Unix) PHP/5.5.14 OpenSSL/1.0.1h^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.14^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html^M ^M
Jun 23 09:14:55 ddns update: retval= 0, ddns_return_code (,200)
Jun 23 09:14:55 ddns update: asusddns_update: 0
Jun 23 09:14:55 ddns: ddns update ok
Jun 23 09:14:57 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

I wonder if there is an Asus rep on this forum that can help, maybe open a trouble ticket.

I have a Gibabit switch, if I connect it to the cable modem first, give it a minute, then connect the Asus to the switch. I wonder if that would work better.

I suspect this is where the trouble happens, when my wan goes down, router tries to connect to fast with my isp and screws up my net. Can some one explain these settings to me.
Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437025615726.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437025615726.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 877
@RMerlin, can you throw some light here

TCP/IP settings
TCP connections limit
TCP Timeout: Established
Default: 1200
TCP Timeout: syn_sent Default: 120
TCP Timeout: syn_recv Default: 60
TCP Timeout: fin_wait Default: 120
TCP Timeout: time_wait Default: 120
TCP Timeout: close Default: 10
TCP Timeout: close_wait Default: 60
TCP Timeout: last_ack Default: 30
UDP Timeout: Assured Default: 180
UDP Timeout: Unreplied Default: 30

@RMerlin, can you throw some light here

TCP/IP settings
TCP connections limit
TCP Timeout: Established
Default: 1200
TCP Timeout: syn_sent Default: 120
TCP Timeout: syn_recv Default: 60
TCP Timeout: fin_wait Default: 120
TCP Timeout: time_wait Default: 120
TCP Timeout: close Default: 10
TCP Timeout: close_wait Default: 60
TCP Timeout: last_ack Default: 30
UDP Timeout: Assured Default: 180
UDP Timeout: Unreplied Default: 30

They're all standard Linux Kernel settings. Do a Google Search, I'm not going to repost pages of descriptions copied from other sites documenting them.

Thanks at @RMerlin, i will do that,, but does this have anything to do with the wan drop issues?

Totally unrelated. Those are about TCP and UDP sessions established by your clients as they connect to remote services such as websites.

Same issues for me, latest Merlin FW 378.55, on an AC68U, keeps dropping the WAN. Very frustrating, I have to keep putting back my trust WRT54GS with Tomato. Pity these things can't send ASUS error messages.

I originally had issues on an on a AC66U which (I thought) went TU as a Standard Router, with constant reboots (different issue probably, but now on latest Stock F/W as an AP and it hasn't rebooted once).