What's new

ASUS N66U and AC68U - Dropping WAN only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just thought I'd chime in with a similar issue and the resolution. One of my clients had an issue with a loss of WAN connection on a fairly consistent basis a few weeks back. The DSL provider Router/Modem was the Actiontec V1000H setup in transparent bridge mode, this setup was working for a good 5 months with no issues (RT-N66U) then they started reporting that some of the computers would loose internet access. Spent countless hours trying to track down the issue with the provider tech and couldn't find the issue. Had them ship out just a bridging modem (Actiontec T2200M) and since putting it in the problems disappeared.

One thing that we did discover when replacing the modem was that one of the user had bypassed the router and had jacked directly into the original actiontec modem. They were using streaming services so I suspect that that was causing some issues, which we couldn't replicate with the new modem.

When the network did drop for the clients they would still be able to ping the router but not the internet. I wouldn't be able to access the router remotely either until they rebooted the modem. Very oddly while the ping would stop to the Internet and RDP connection session to their cloud provider would drop they could still setup a ShowMyPc connection which I could then access and get to their computer (behind the RT-N66U), no issues reported in the syslog on the router.

My best guess at what was happening was that the Actiontec V1000H was going sideways and started dropping connections.

This is really interesting! I have the same issue. Had the Asus RT/N56U and it worked fine but I wanted the AC standard so I bought RT/AC68U that was updated to the latest firmware and I had drops all the time. Exactly the same issue you are mentioning... WLAN and LAN works fine but internet drops out. Becaus it worked fine with my RT/N56U it cant be ISP, Modem or cable issues.

I changed firmeware to latest Merlin and that stabalized it a bit for at time but now the issue is starting to reapear.

EDIT: My ISP are trying to figure out whats wrong. Might not be my hardware after all.

Last edited:
This happened to me 3 times in the last few months. I have an AC68U with cable modem. Each time I have to power cycle the router to fix the wan issue.

I've got the same issue. I've got the latest Merlin Firmware as well. Might drop back a level and see if it fixes the issue.

I have FIOS and for the life of me can't figure out what happened to WAN either. My WNDR3700 had been working fine for close to 5 years. I replaced with it a AC68U and WAN drops for no reason at all 3x over 2 days. Each time verizon has to reset the network on their end. Power cycling the AC68U didn't fix it. I suspect there may be an issue with the dual WAN, but I had mine off.

Anyway, unless someone has figured out a fix, the 68U is already boxed up for a return.

I would occaisionally have issues where my AC68U would drop the WAN connection, but LAN would be fine. Like others have described, when I would log in it would appear everything was normal and connected, but I wouldn't be able to get out on any devices. If I turned the WAN off and back on it would then say Disconnected and take me though setup again. Rebooting the router wouldn't fix this issue, but rebooting the modem and going through the setup wizard again would temporarily.

This would happen once a week or every two weeks, but about a week ago it started happening every single day. It also seemed to happen primarily overnight. When I would go to bed, it would seem to be fine, but then when I woke up the next morning it wouldn't be working.

I had tried just about everything I could think of and nothing seemed to make any difference. I found this thread and saw UrbanHaggis and ca509 on page 1 discussing downgrading the firmware to the ASUS official 3.0.0.4.376.3626 and since doing that it seems to have resolved the issue. It seems like I never had any issues like this at all until about a year ago, probably around the time I moved off of this firmware to a newer version. Even though it's kind of crazy to just sit on a firmware that's over a year old, it's worth it to not have the issues.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is experiencing this issue or has more information to add.

So it's August 2016 and this issue still persists apparently. I recently purchased an AC-68U and had sporadic dropped connections on a few 2.4 GHz wireless devices. Sometimes multiple drops per hour.

Sooo, after much searching and even installing the newest Merlin firmware I gave in and called Asus support. Below are their exact instructions that have worked for me (no dropped connections for 3 hours!)

1. Log into router and click on Wireless - Professional settings.

2. Change RTS threshold to 2307.

3. Change beacon interval to 50.

4. Click on Wireless - General settings and change the channel from auto to one of these values: 1, 6, 11

5. Repeat steps for 5ghz if that's also having issues.

Hopefully this helps someone else as it did me. Made this account just to share, happy trails everyone.

Has anyone managed to solve the issue of the WAN connection dropping intermittently? My Asus 4G-AC68U still has this problem. I have replaced the box etc etc but no luck.

I've been having the same issues on my old router AC87U. I get random WAN disconnects, which the only way to fix it is by a reboot. My modem and router haven't been changed in years, so the only thing I can think of is downgrading the firmware version, which I guess I'll try.

Adding another data point here. Random wan disconnects that are only solved by rebooting the AC66U. This has been ongoing for several years.