What's new

Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Issue - NAT Issue With Two Xbox One Consoles

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BiggShooter

Regular Contributor
Does anyone have multiple (2+) Xbox One gaming consoles (X or S) connected to the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000? Is so, do you have Open NAT on both consoles?

I have a Xbox One X (wired connection) and a Xbox One S (wired connection) connected to the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 and both consoles show Strict NAT. With my previous router (XR500) I was able to get Open NAT on both consoles (with Instant On enabled). I never had an issue with multiple consoles achieving Open NAT when I was using the Asus RT-AC5300.

Thanks for the replies :)

Mines only got one attached however i'll try and get this online tonite or tomorrow and check with two consoles.

Have you checked the NAT kind with his router? https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21
Remember that can be a factor.

Did you have any more progress on this since Saturday?

Mines only got one attached however i'll try and get this online tonite or tomorrow and check with two consoles.

Have you checked the NAT kind with his router? https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21
Remember that can be a factor.

Did you have any more progress on this since Saturday?

Let me know what kind of NAT (Open, Moderate, Strict) you get with two Xbox One consoles connected to the GT-AX11000. I have NOT checked the 'NAT' kind with this router. I've had no progress with this since Saturday. I actually connected my Xbox One X directly to the Netgear CM1200, along with the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000. My ISP doesn't block a second connection, so I figured a direct connection from the Xbox One X to the Netgear CM1200 is best anyway. Both consoles (Xbox One X / Xbox One S) have OPEN NAT.

Ok so using mostly default settings, seems the 2nd xbox, mine only gets Moderate NAT on the box dash board. I haven't set up any OPEN NAT features as of yet.
I presume one reason is the NAT kind is PAR NAT and ASUS doesn't support FULL CONE NAT. Tried to launch the game and Syncing Data for MW failed twice.

I had to shut down and move the 2nd xbox to the other WAN port on my CM1100 to get OPEN NAT.

have you changed the udp port in the advanced network settings on the xbox?

No. When UPNP is enabled on the router, both xboxes pickup different port numbers. 1st one online always gets the 3074, while the 2nd one gets something different.

So I was able to come back to this today. Wire connected 2 xbox game consoles to the AX11000. Both here hard powered OFF with the hold and press of the front power button. Rebooted the router as well.

NetGear CM1100 cable modem.

Turning on the first one, It reported Moderate NAT. I did the NAT Type Test on the 1st xbox and after it was completed, it now reported OPEN NAT. I looked at the port address and it was some 50K number. I was expecting to see 3074.

I turned ON the 2nd xbox console. It reported Moderate NAT. I ran the same NAT Type Test on the 2nd xbox and after it completed, it reported double NAT detected. It reported using some port address that was not 3074. I happened to go back in and set a manual port number and selected 50070 and applied the change. I ran the NAT Type Test again and now it reported OPEN NAT on the 2nd xbox.

I went back to the 1st xbox and ran the NAT Type Test again on it and after it completed, it reported Moderate NAT and Double NAT detected.

I went and ran a NAT Kind test from we certain web site and it reports that the GT-AX11000 uses Port Address Restricted Cone NAT. This is of course by default from ASUS. This also inhibits two or more game consoles from getting OPEN NAT while on line at the same time in some cases. Seem to be playing a small part in all of this oh this model router.

Hoping that ASUS or others can help with any kind of configuration to get OPEN NAT on multiple game consoles online at the same time.

Have you checked the Open NAT tab on the router (left side)?
Has anyone tried using this option, does it work as advertised?

Manual port forwarding should be able to be used for this but it's a pain to setup and manage and if you have multiple devices that need this for the same game then you might also need to configure the devices. But the router Open NAT interface looks like it could help reduce the burden on the router at least and manual port forwarding is the best way to take control of this functionality to get reliable NAT traversal.

I haven't tried it, I haven't needed to, but it looks like you can add more than one instance of a game profile. If it does work and adding multiple instances works too, and profiles are available for your games, that would be a great way to manage the manual port forwarding rules.

If there's no profile for a game you want then it would get harder, you would need to find the correct ports yourself and add a manual profile. Not easy but possible.

Looking at it you might need to set a DHCP reservation for the device, perhaps not, that's something you'd need to check.

It would be interesting to see what the Open NAT feature does with the port forwarding rules when two devices are using the same game profile ... to work out if you do need to do anything special on the device for port configuration ...

Ian

Last edited:
I have the PF enabled under Open NAT. I did attempt one manual profile addition. However this was with just one xbox at the time. I noticed that when the xbox was removed or turned OFF, I could not find the profile that I manaully setup under OPEN NAT. Not sure if this is by design or a defect. I think you can only add 1 IP address for each manual profile entered.

I do need to go back and maybe factory reset and setup from scratch. Not enable anything and see.

This was the initial post by same user which kicked off on the RT-5300 a few years ago:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upnp-multiple-xbox-one-gaming-consoles-nat.35324/

I also started this after BiggShooter started the upnp multiple consoles nat post:
https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21

Last edited:
Those threads are very long, I read some of it and perhaps I'll got back to it when I get time.

What is curious is that I checked the ipfilter rules after adding a profile and can't see any rules relating to it.
I guess there must be a user space service running for the Open NAT GT router feature, probably using netfilter, but haven't got around to check and really all that can be done is perhaps identify the daemon.

Do you have 1 or multiple game consoles? Just curious.

Do you have 1 or multiple game consoles? Just curious.

Was that addressed to me?

Anyway, no I don't, we don't have two XBox consoles in the house.
So I can't test anything related to that.
I am however interested in the topic and that's why I'm here on the thread.

There are several computers littered around the house which are used for various games.

Ok. Well mostly this deals with having two or more game consoles, Xbox and I presume PS is effected as well and probably PC, getting OPEN NAT on the networking settings and then also getting OPEN NAT in the multiplayer online games that the consoles are playing at the same time. Some routers can help with this, some seems to have troubles.

If you review the badmodems link, this explains what this is all about.

Ok. Well mostly this deals with having two or more game consoles, Xbox and I presume PS is effected as well and probably PC, getting OPEN NAT on the networking settings and then also getting OPEN NAT in the multiplayer online games that the consoles are playing at the same time. Some routers can help with this, some seems to have troubles.

If you review the badmodems link, this explains what this is all about.

I'm familiar with port forwarding but haven't really constructed any rule sets for probably about 15 years.
And, TBH, never really became intimately familiar with the rule options.

The Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 now supports 'FULL CONE' Nat Type.
:D

Yay. ;)

Did you still need an answer to your original question?

I setup my RT-N66U with two xboxes to allow open NAT on both.

Did you still need an answer to your original question?

I setup my RT-N66U with two xboxes to allow open NAT on both.
I do not, but thank you for asking. I am able to achieve open NAT on both Xbox gaming consoles (Xbox Series X / Xbox One X) using the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000. :D

Just to add, in my experience, the most reliable way for multiple consoles to get an Open NAT at the same time, whether Xboxes and/or PlayStations, is via UPnP and Full Cone NAT.

Did you have to do anything special to achieve Full Cone on the AX11000 now? I have been interested in this router for some time but had been avoiding it because of multiple Xbox Ones.