What's new

Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Issue - Packet Loss (Xbox)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BiggShooter

Regular Contributor
Current Home Network set up (connected via Cat-6 Ethernet cable): Netgear CM1200 >> Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 >> Netgear S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch >> Netgear HP ProCurve Switch >> Xbox One S

ISP: 200 down / 12 up

After placing the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 online this weekend, I checked the "Test Network Speed & Statistics" on my Xbox One S. It seems my download speed is rather inconsistent (between 45Mbps - 175Mbps), and my upload speed as well (5Mbps - 9Mbps). I'm also seeing 'Packet Loss' (between 1% and 4%). I've done a hard rest on the Xbox One S. I've rebooted the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

When I connect an Ethernet cable between the router and Xbox One S and 'Test Network Speed & Statistics', the speeds (download / upload) are consistent with my ISP subscribed speeds (200 down / 12 up), and I have NO (0%) Packet Loss. When I return to my current Home Network set up (described above) and 'Test Network Speed & Statistics', my speeds remain consistent with my ISP subscribed speeds (200 down / 12 up), and I have no (0%) packet loss. It's only after the Xbox One S remains powered down ('Instant On' mode) for the night that I begin to experience the inconsistent download / upload speeds and Packet Loss.

I do have 'Adaptive QoS' enabled, and manually entered my upload / download speeds. I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some troubleshooting suggestions to help resolve this issue. I'm almost certain I have most / all the settings configured properly, but perhaps I overlooked something to cause the above issues. I didn't have this problem with the Netgear XR500 Gaming Router.

Thanks for the replies.

Current Home Network set up (connected via Cat-6 Ethernet cable): Netgear CM1200 >> Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 >> Netgear S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch >> Netgear HP ProCurve Switch >> Xbox One S

After placing the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 online this weekend, I checked the "Test Network Speed & Statistics" on my Xbox One S. It seems my download speed is rather inconsistent (between 45Mbps - 175Mbps), and my upload speed as well (5Mbps - 9Mbps). I'm also seeing 'Packet Loss' (between 1% and 4%). I've done a hard rest on the Xbox One S. I've rebooted the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

When I connect an Ethernet cable between the router and Xbox One S and 'Test Network Speed & Statistics', the speeds (download / upload) are consistent with my ISP subscribed speeds (200 down / 12 up), and I have NO (0%) Packet Loss. When I return to my current Home Network set up (described above) and 'Test Network Speed & Statistics', my speeds remain consistent with my ISP subscribed speeds (200 down / 12 up), and I have no (0%) packet loss. It's only after the Xbox One S remains powered down ('Instant On' mode) for the night that I begin to experience the inconsistent download / upload speeds and Packet Loss.

I do have 'Adaptive QoS' enabled, and manually entered my upload / download speeds. I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some troubleshooting suggestions to help resolve this issue. I'm almost certain I have most / all the settings configured properly, but perhaps I overlooked something to cause the above issues. I didn't have this problem with the Netgear XR500 Gaming Router.

Thanks for the replies.
I’ll check my Xbox when I get home and let you know my results.

Thanks for the replies.

Turn off QoS.

Turn off QoS.
I turned off 'QoS' and I'm still having issues. I've done just about everything I can think of. I actually get better wireless speeds (using iPhone XS and Speedtest App) than I do wired speeds (using Xbox One S and 'Test Network Speeds & Statistics'). I'm not sure what is going on.

I turned off 'QoS' and I'm still having issues. I've done just about everything I can think of. I actually get better wireless speeds (using iPhone XS and Speedtest App) than I do wired speeds (using Xbox One S and 'Test Network Speeds & Statistics'). I'm not sure what is going on.

My son had similar problems with his XBox One S, I'm assuming the symptoms were the same although I didn't check for packet loss and this was over wireless.

I put in a power line adapter connected directly to the router and that resolved his problems.

I also thought the problem could be due to dynamic QoS because we didn't see similar problems with Orbi or Velop.

But that packet loss you see is a separate problem and means QoS isn't going to be the only change needed, if in fact it is causing a problem.

I wonder if you are having some problems with the switch in the router, I did when I first got mine.
I saw messages in the log, can't remember exactly what they said now, but they made me think there were communication problems with it.
I swapped out several cables to newer ones and the switch problems are mostly gone now, I still have difficulties with the 2.5G port on reboot.

So I think the switch is very fussy about the cables used and this is fairly easy, straight forward change to check if this part of your problem.

I was able perform some troubleshooting steps last night.

Xbox One S > HP ProCurve Switch > Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - After turning on the Xbox One X, I cleared / reset the Network Settings, and ran a 'Test Network Speed & Statistics' test. Initially, speeds (200 down / 12 up) were consistent w/ my subscribed ISP speeds with NO (0%) packet loss, and latency was 30. After checking both 'Test Network Speed & Statistics' and 'Test Multiplayer Connection' I began to see inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% - 2% packet loss. I did reboot the Asus router, as well as hard reset the Xbox One S during troubleshooting.

Xbox One S > Netgear S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch > Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - Inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% packet loss. I did reboot the Netgear S8000 switch, Asus router and Xbox One S during troubleshooting.

Xbox One S > Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - Inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% - 2% packet loss. I did reboot the Asus router and Xbox One S during troubleshooting.

Xbox One S > Netgear CM1200 (modem) - Inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% packet loss. I did reboot the Netgear CM1200 and Xbox One S during testing.

I did run PingPlotter and determined the DNS Server number (1.1.1.1) I was using was showing packet loss (1% - 2%). I changed to the Google DNS Server number (8.8.8.8) and it was faster with no packet loss. I did change to the Google DNS Server numbers (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4), but haven’t had a chance to test / troubleshoot the issue(s) I’m having.

I did check the Ethernet cable (Cat 6) used to connect devices from the main level to the second level in our home. It is not damaged, nor does it show any signs of wear.

I'm not sure what to think or where to go with this. I'm at a loss. :confused: I'm hoping for some suggestions / additional troubleshooting steps. Thanks for the replies. :)

Last edited:
I did check the Ethernet cable (Cat 6) used to connect devices from the main level to the second level in our home. It is not damaged, nor does it show any signs of wear.

Right, and I'm using primarily cat 5e cables.

Nevertheless, when I had problems with the router switch I swapped out what appeared to be perfectly good cables and manged to get rid of the messages in the log and the router was much more stable.

Your situation sounds a bit different though, your using cat 6 cables so they should be fairly new and should be in good shape but looking in the log to see if your getting anything that looks like it could be router switch problem is still worth doing.

Right, and I'm using primarily cat 5e cables.

Nevertheless, when I had problems with the router switch I swapped out what appeared to be perfectly good cables and manged to get rid of the messages in the log and the router was much more stable.

Your situation sounds a bit different though, your using cat 6 cables so they should be fairly new and should be in good shape but looking in the log to see if your getting anything that looks like it could be router switch problem is still worth doing.

And I was talking about the cables plugged into the router itself (including the cable to the modem), that's what I had trouble with, the router switch seems very fussy, but you are wise to check all the cable connections.

I'm not seeing any packet loss on my xbox connected to the AX11000>CM1100. Though mine doesn't have any switches in between.

How was the change from using cloudfare DNS to Google DNS? I'm using my ISP DNS here.
I was able perform some troubleshooting steps last night.

Xbox One S > HP ProCurve Switch > Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - After turning on the Xbox One X, I cleared / reset the Network Settings, and ran a 'Test Network Speed & Statistics' test. Initially, speeds (200 down / 12 up) were consistent w/ my subscribed ISP speeds with NO (0%) packet loss, and latency was 30. After checking both 'Test Network Speed & Statistics' and 'Test Multiplayer Connection' I began to see inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% - 2% packet loss. I did reboot the Asus router, as well as hard reset the Xbox One S during troubleshooting.

Xbox One S > Netgear S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch > Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - Inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% packet loss. I did reboot the Netgear S8000 switch, Asus router and Xbox One S during troubleshooting.

Xbox One S > Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 - Inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% - 2% packet loss. I did reboot the Asus router and Xbox One S during troubleshooting.

Xbox One S > Netgear CM1200 (modem) - Inconsistent speeds, as well as 1% packet loss. I did reboot the Netgear CM1200 and Xbox One S during testing.

I did run PingPlotter and determined the DNS Server number (1.1.1.1) I was using was showing packet loss (1% - 2%). I changed to the Google DNS Server number (8.8.8.8) and it was faster with no packet loss. I did change to the Google DNS Server numbers (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4), but haven’t had a chance to test / troubleshoot the issue(s) I’m having.

I'm not sure what to think or where to go with this. I'm at a loss. :confused: I'm hoping for some suggestions / additional troubleshooting steps. Thanks for the replies. :)