What's new

Asus router app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The app is now in the Apple app store. It doesn't work for me: it never gets beyond attempting to log in.

Just installed the app on my iPhone 6 and it connected right up with my AC68P running the alpha 380.57_alpha4-gb5eb46f Merlin FW. Nicely done app.

Just installed the app on my iPhone 6 and it connected right up with my AC68P running the alpha 380.57_alpha4-gb5eb46f Merlin FW. Nicely done app.

Excellent. I've told Mike Pan, the developer, that the topic has been updated to include the Apple version of the Asus Router app.. I'm sure he'll be pleased to read your comments.

Has anyone gotten this to work with an iPad Mini 4 running the latest iOS? My router is a brand new 68U rev. B1 purchased last week from Amazon.com and now running Merlin firmware version 378.56_2.

I can launch the app, but tapping on SIGN IN immediately pops up an alert box with the following message:

NOTICE
Connection failed

Checking the ADVANCED tab reveals only "Authentication" settings for HTTP and HTTPS. Of the two, I can't change anything for the HTTP side, with the PORT permanently locked in on port 80, which I believe is the default I am using on the 68U anyway. HTTPS's port is set at 8443 and tapping that number does bring up a keyboard, so unlike the HTTP side, the secure side could use a different port than what the app comes set to.

SO... That is where I am at with this app. I had been looking forward to having router access via my iPad Mini 4, so hitting this brick wall right at the beginning was a major disappointment. Although another user here just showed me a screenshot of what lies on the other side of this brick wall of a log-in screen!

Lets just say, I'm really glad I didn't spend a heck of a lot of time trying to get this thing to work! Even though this thing just came out a few days ago, it looks like one of those EARLY iPad apps that were nothing more than an old iPhone app with the word iPhone scratched out and iPad written in with Crayon! ;)

Why are most factory supplied mobile apps so freaking LAME? :(

I have two routers on my network: a RT-AC66U and a RT-AC87U both in AP mode and both running Merlin's 380.57 firmware. When I fire up the ASUS router app (iOS) while connected wirelessly to either AP, I get "Searching for ASUS router" for about 45 seconds, and then "No ASUS router found."

It's probably some config issue on the routers, I just can't figure out what it is. Any help is appreciated.

I have two routers on my network: a RT-AC66U and a RT-AC87U both in AP mode and both running Merlin's 380.57 firmware. When I fire up the ASUS router app (iOS) while connected wirelessly to either AP, I get "Searching for ASUS router" for about 45 seconds, and then "No ASUS router found."

It's probably some config issue on the routers, I just can't figure out what it is. Any help is appreciated.

You saw in post #20 that the app similarly couldn't find routers set to AP mode? I got an answer from the developer after I told him that the app got stuck logging me in and he advised me that the app hasn't been tested with Merlin's fork, which is perfectly reasonable. In any case, the app simply might not detect APs even running Asus firmware. Given the choice between running Merlin firmware and the app, which, in any case, is another entry route into the router, I'll stick with Merlin.

Thanks for the response. I guess I missed post #20. Maybe a future version will work with AP mode.
You could contact the developer direct and double check with him. If you private message me I can send you his email address or you can contact him through the app. He's a very helpful chap and won't shoot you down for using Merlin.

You could contact the developer direct and double check with him. If you private message me I can send you his email address or you can contact him through the app. He's a very helpful chap and won't shoot you down for using Merlin.

Considering that a good chunk of the ASUS router community uses Merlin, and RMerlin has the full support of ASUS in terms of offering his variants to the factory stuff, I would hope not! ;)

Although I must say that based on my 1st impressions as described above, I am not impressed by this app's first release version at all! :( Its not like I am running some exotic firmware on long lost prototype hardware!

This is a brand new 68U with a time tested release version of Merlin for god sakes! How hard can it be to handle communication with something so bleeding common?

Running Router ac68, AP ac66.
App finds Router, but nothing happens when I try to login

Running merlin 55, and iphone 5s.
To old Router fw?

Running Router ac68, AP ac66.
App finds Router, but nothing happens when I try to login

Running merlin 55, and iphone 5s.
To old Router fw?

I got a permanent swirling circle after I tried to log in (RT-AC68U), which I assume is what you mean by nothing happens. The developer later told me Asus couldn't guarantee the app would work with Merlin's branch "....So please use official firmware for the best performance and compatibility." Fair enough.

"To old Router fw?" I'd sleep on it before doing anything hasty! How ever good such an app might be, it still presents another entry path into your router. And how often does one really need to be logging into it?

it has nothing to do with Merlin's FW versions, it doesn't work at all even on Asus FW!!!

There isn't any description of this funny app how it works and what devices are supported, it's really not worth the time to spend with.

...."Connection failed" even so on my AC5300 ;-)

I know it does not help, but I can connect to both of my routers. The thing is, it's just a gimmick really. I use it only to show off to my guests.

There's a update to this app out now. Whilst it still recognises I'm using non-standard firmware on my RT-AC68U, there's now an option that says something like: I still want to keep using the app, thereby overriding the message and allowing the app to function. (Maybe that was always there and I've only just noticed?)

It now supports remote access (for those brave enough to allow it). A samba glitch is fixed. Custom device nickname is fixed. And some other fixes.

This isn't a recommendation to use the app (and certainly not a recommendation for remote access), just info for anyone that might have ditched it previously because it didn't seem compatible with Merlin. Definitely worth giving it a second chance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!