What's new

Asus router keeps rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

achacko

New Around Here
My router all of a sudden keeps rebooting. It doesnt stay long enough to do a firmware update. Tried hard resetting and everything I could find but nothing works. Does this mean its fully dead. It turn on, LEDS light up and after like 30sec restarts. This had been happening for a while I dont know what bricked it because they was no auto upgrade enabled.

My router all of a sudden keeps rebooting. It doesnt stay long enough to do a firmware update. Tried hard resetting and everything I could find but nothing works. Does this mean its fully dead. It turn on, LEDS light up and after like 30sec restarts. This had been happening for a while I dont know what bricked it because they was no auto upgrade enabled.
You didn't say the model but the RT-AC86U had a few issues apparently. I'd have a look at the Power Supply as a first thing to check.
If you have access to a PS with the same rating (Volts/Amps/Polarity) give that a go first?

You didn't say the model but the RT-AC86U had a few issues apparently. I'd have a look at the Power Supply as a first thing to check.
If you have access to a PS with the same rating (Volts/Amps/Polarity) give that a go first?
Its RT AX55. Hmm let me see if I can find a PS with same rating

Its RT AX55. Hmm let me see if I can find a PS with same rating
I see from your Reddit Post you tried to update the FW using the ASUS Tool? Did the rebooting issue start after that?
btw Does the RT-AX55 not have an option to upgrade the FW via the WebGUI?

In any case, I had a look at "RT AX55" rebooting on Google, there's a few folks with rebooting issues with that model.

But going back to your ASUS Tool attempt, it might be worth:

A. Resetting the firmware first (choose your OS from the dropdown) and select the Tool ASUS Firmware Restoration version X.X."
THEN upgrade the FW in the WebGUI (not using the ASUS Tool).

OR

B. Ensuring you have the correct FW for your model (AND Version) trying the Asus FW rescue mode (this is actually similar to (A) above).

Last edited:
I see from your Reddit Post you tried to update the FW using the ASUS Tool? Did the rebooting issue start after that?
btw Does the RT-AX55 not have an option to upgrade the FW via the WebGUI?

In any case, I had a look at "RT AX55" rebooting on Google, there's a few folks with rebooting issues with that model.
But going back to your ASUS Tool attempt, might be worth

A. Resetting the firmware first (chosoe your OS and select the Tool ASUS Firmware Restoration version X.X."
THEN upgrade the FW in the WebGUI (not using the ASUS Tool).

OR

B. Ensuring you have the correct FW for your model AND Version) trying the Asus FW rescue mode?
The rebooting started before that. I tried to update using the methods but it failed because the router doesnt stay on for long enough

Actually just tried a different PS and it seems to be holding power for longer and the router is functioning again. Let me give it couple more hours and see if it happens again. Thanks for the help!

The rebooting started before that. I tried to update using the methods but it failed because the router doesnt stay on for long enough
OK thanks, that's useful. I'd be leaning towards a PS issue but it might be setting related if you made changes recently.

Did you happen to make any changes to any settings e.g. TrendMicro or anything?

If it's not HW, then if you can somehow get the FW Updated (Restoration Steps as above), then reset it to scratch and redo the settings, it's probably the way to go.