What's new

Asus Router Model recommendation for 40 user

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any contemporary home router can easily handle 40 users. It's not the 1990's any more.

40 concurrent wireless users might be another matter but the OP has just stated that most of the clients are connected by Ethernet.
Forty users are going to have multiple devices which is different than 40 connections. Still wireless connections are going to be weak on the wireless side. If they are anything like my granddaughter she uses 3 devices. As she is using her desktop she has her iPad running zoom and her iPhone to text with. There would be a lot more devices than 40.

Forty users are going to have multiple devices which is different than 40 connections. Still wireless connections are going to be weak on the wireless side. If they are anything like my granddaughter she uses 3 devices. As she is using her desktop she has her iPad running zoom and her iPhone to text with. There would be a lot more devices than 40.
That's my point. It's not about the number of users, it's understanding the traffic flow and volume. You can't just make a blanket statement that "home routers are not designed for 40 users", that's just meaningless. The number of users is not the problem.

Home routers are definitely not designed to serve 40 users. Average family has 4 users. It can be a family with more kids, grand parents living together, or few families sharing the same house, but rarely 40 in a single home. If there are so many people, more space is needed. More space means single AIO router can't cover the space anyway. Some manufacturers (like Netgear) have up to 32 devices per radio in user manuals. Apparently number of users is a problem for AIO routers, unless someone wants to test the equipment beyond its design capabilities.

Home routers are definitely not designed to serve 40 users. Average family has 4 users. It can be a family with more kids, grand parents living together, or few families sharing the same house, but rarely 40 in a single home. If there are so many people, more space is needed. More space means single AIO router can't cover the space anyway. Some manufacturers (like Netgear) have up to 32 devices per radio in user manuals. Apparently number of users is a problem for AIO routers, unless someone wants to test the equipment beyond its design capabilities.
What we're calling "home" routers should probably have been referred to as "consumer" routers, i.e. non-business class. The OP hasn't given any specific details for his use case. Are these "users" really just devices in a home (e.g. phones, TV's, etc.) or is this an office with 40 people? We don't know.

or is this an office with 40 people?

Based on previous conversations, I'm assuming we are talking about the new office a business had to move in. Multiple wired PC's are also in support of business environment theory. If this is the case, I still believe @Asusrouterlover is looking at wrong equipment with limited capabilities by design and limited expansion options in the future.

Based on previous conversations, I'm assuming we are talking about the new office a business had to move in. Multiple wired PC's are also in support of business environment theory. If this is the case, I still believe @Asusrouterlover is looking at wrong equipment with limited capabilities by design and limited expansion options in the future.

Ah, OK. If that is the case then I'd agree that an Asus router is not a good choice. But that's not because of any technical limitations on the "number of users". Any Asus router could handle an office of 40 people if they're just reading their emails and surfing the web.

In a business environment there are more important considerations, like physical build quality, warranty/SLA, frequency of security updates, VLAN support, IDS, PCI compliance, complex firewall rules, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I guess, @Asusrouterlover is just sticking with what he is familiar with. In my experience 30-40 people on time sensitive voice/video calls + web + NAS used and doing backups to the cloud may come too much for a consumer router to handle, even if most PCs are wired. I'm dealing with performance issues on my own networks with 80+ active clients as we speak. The newer content is much heavier generating few times more traffic from my local NAS. Multiple Cisco WAP571 access points hold well, but Cisco RV345 routers barely keep up. My end-of-year upgrade plans have to happen now.

I guess, @Asusrouterlover is just sticking with what he is familiar with. In my experience 30-40 people on time sensitive voice/video calls + web + NAS used and doing backups to the cloud may come too much for a consumer router to handle, even if most PCs are wired. I'm dealing with performance issues on my own networks with 80+ active clients as we speak. The newer content is much heavier generating few times more traffic from my local NAS. Multiple Cisco WAP571 access points hold well, but Cisco RV345 routers barely keep up. My end-of-year upgrade plans have to happen now.
Sounds like you need to transfer from using your RV345 router to a Cisco layer 3 switch to control the local LAN. The RV345 router should just match the internet bandwidth and not do anything with the local LAN like routing or DHCP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!