What's new

Asus Router not going through VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GrantWoj

New Around Here
Hey everyone, having an issue with my VPN Client and really hoping to figure it out, Tech Support was not very helpful. I have an OpenVPN Client running on my ASUS RT-AC66U, using Nord VPN. It's connected to the VPN, I can see that via the blue checkmark, but also the logs are showing that it successfully connects.

The issue I'm having is that nothing is being sent through the VPN, I'm connected but it's not being utilized. I spoke with Nord VPN, they said it was a DNS Routing Issue and to call ASUS. I talked to them and the person I was talking with just made me turn on a VPN Server and change a few settings, which didn't help.

I'm new to VPNs so have no idea where to start with what Nord VPN said is a routing issue, I tried to change the DNS Server manually under WAN settings, that did nothing, now I'm at a loss and ASUS said they'd try to get back to me in 24-48 hours, so any help would be appreciated.

The original MIPS RT-AC66U from 2012? This router may not work with NordVPN due to minimum OpenVPN version requirements they have. Even if it connects and works the speed will be capped under 20Mbps.

Hey everyone, having an issue with my VPN Client and really hoping to figure it out, Tech Support was not very helpful. I have an OpenVPN Client running on my ASUS RT-AC66U, using Nord VPN. It's connected to the VPN, I can see that via the blue checkmark, but also the logs are showing that it successfully connects.

The issue I'm having is that nothing is being sent through the VPN, I'm connected but it's not being utilized. I spoke with Nord VPN, they said it was a DNS Routing Issue and to call ASUS. I talked to them and the person I was talking with just made me turn on a VPN Server and change a few settings, which didn't help.

I'm new to VPNs so have no idea where to start with what Nord VPN said is a routing issue, I tried to change the DNS Server manually under WAN settings, that did nothing, now I'm at a loss and ASUS said they'd try to get back to me in 24-48 hours, so any help would be appreciated.

In the VPN client screen look for the prompt - 'Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel?' set it to Yes (all)

'Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel?'

This is only available in VPN Server settings. VPN Client in Asuswrt (the version for this router) is ON or OFF - all the clients or none. I believe this is a second thread about the same issue - if the router is MIPS AC66U. The last official firmware available for this model is about 2.5 years old. It's EOL.

Sigh, sounds like I should just upgrade my router then. It was working fine till a few days ago, then it started blocking my internet access, so had to remove any VPN data from it, when I reset it all back up, this happened.

Anyway, thanks everyone. I've wanted to upgrade my router for a while now anyway just haven't seen a reason to do it.

One way to find if your router is older MIPS AC66U or newer ARM AC66U B1 is the location of the USB ports.

This is the newer ARM model with one USB port at the front, still supported:

1676131618477.png

This is the older MIPS model with both USB ports at the back, End-of-Life now:

1676131672871.png

I ended up just buying an RT-AX88U, decided it was time to upgrade anyway. Turns out I had the B1 though, pretty sure it had the USB on the front.