What's new

Asus Router RT-AC68U - stock firmare - Please help setup PIA VPN within my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I didn't change anything on the modem.
I was just asking if that was something you recommend (put the modem into bridge mode)
- I am unsure if the firewall from the modem could be interfere with my router when I attempt to enable a VPN connection.
You keep saying your modem in bridge mode.
is your modem a router?
because if it is then you are having problems because you are trying to setup 2 routers and that is not the same.

To clarify

my cable modem is a Motorola SB6183
I have NEVER made any changes to this modem.

This modem and router have never had an issue, but I was wondering if something is interfering with my router when setting up the VPN.

To clarify

my cable modem is a Motorola SB6183
I have NEVER made any changes to this modem.

This modem and router have never had an issue, but I was wondering if something is interfering with my router when setting up the VPN.
You just said it again.
this modem and router.
I looked at this brand and its a modem that's cool
there is nothing wrong with your devices. you are just doing something wrong.

check your inbox I sent you a private message

Last edited:
This is your problem:

Code:
Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: cipher final failed

Try a Google search for that error message. According to this site, it seems you might not have the correct auth digest configured, or not the correct cipher.

Like yorgi said, keep initial setup simple. Just connect your PC to the router, then to the modem. Make sure all settings are the same as his attachment. I was unsuccessful at first, but then tried the second VPN slot, and that worked perfect. Follow his words, and you'll be up and running in no time. Good luck!

Problem resolved :)
got his VPN to work no problem with the 380. firmware

we where trying to get 3 VPN clients up and running on AES-128-CBC

Big problem!!!!
One cannot successfully get more then one client to go on AES-128-CBC
If you try to connect more VPN clients the routers freaks out, it leaks DNS
The router's VPN crashes and you think you are on your VPN but you are NOT.
You will either end up on your ISP or if you have 2 VPN clients connected
the second VPN client's IP will show which is not the end of the world but the router doesn't like this AES.

If you choose to have only one VPN client, there are no issues but who am I to guarantee that.
I had successfully had 2 clients to work with my 87U but as soon as I made change I had major problems and the only way to resolve them was going back to blowfish-cbc and cold booting the router.

PIA came out with this AES Christmas time. They put out a patch for openVPN but this patch cannot be implemented to our routers as we cannot update the firmware.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...stock-openvpn-with-strong-encryption-settings

Read more about AES here:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/pi...-but-not-working-on-asus-routers.30360/page-3

I strongly Advise people NOT to use AES-128-CBC or AES-256-CBC with Merlin Routers
because these encrypt-ion's are too new and have not been tested therefore don't be PIA's Beta tester and and up getting screwed because you leaked your DNS while leeching a bad movie :(

Last edited:
There's no patch required. In fact, that blog entry does state that...
So why do you think when i used more then 2 clients at the same time I got into weird problems?
I never had issues using blowfish, this only happened with the AES and not only on my router
3 others that I tested gave same results.
Can it be the new firmware may have a small VPN bug?

PIA forum

ca_rsa4096.crt is the 4096bit RSA CA certificate included in our desktop app and client encryption patch (pia_openvpn_patch.tar.bz2). Here it is for convenience:

So why do you think when i used more then 2 clients at the same time I got into weird problems?
I never had issues using blowfish, this only happened with the AES and not only on my router
3 others that I tested gave same results.
Can it be the new firmware may have a small VPN bug?

Routing conflict most likely, especially if you connect both tunnels to the same server, or to one which uses the same subnet.

PIA forum

ca_rsa4096.crt is the 4096bit RSA CA certificate included in our desktop app and client encryption patch (pia_openvpn_patch.tar.bz2). Here it is for convenience:

That patch is for their client, and is designed for OpenVPN 2.2.2. Asuswrt uses OpenVPN 2.3.10...

Routing conflict most likely, especially if you connect both tunnels to the same server, or to one which uses the same subnet.

That patch is for their client, and is designed for OpenVPN 2.2.2. Asuswrt uses OpenVPN 2.3.10...

That makes total sense, a routing conflict. It's not a bug!

I am connecting to a US and a Canadian server from PIA. You think they have the same subnet mask even though they are in different parts of the planet?

So why is it that I have been running 2 servers like this using blowfish and never had this routing conflict, as soon as I use AES encryption bam routing conflict?

I must say I never had this issue when I used only one server with AES encryption.

Is there something I can do on my end to avoid this conflict?

So what you are basically saying is just because we have 5 clients that can be active at the same time, its better that when using more then one client that they are from a different company?

I was able to connect with stock firmware by downloading the files yorgi specified. But, I had to change WAN DNS servers on the router. I used Google's, but I'm sure any public DNS servers will work. That was done by going to the WAN interface GUI on the router and selecting NO to Connect to DNS Server automatically and than adding the appropriate addresses.