What's new

ASUS RP-AC56 1200mbit extender completely not working in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

upload_2016-9-29_22-42-14.png

Still going strong with no issue here.

Could you provide details on the configuration you set on both the router side and the access point side of things? I have an Asus RT-AC68 router and an RP-AC56 access point/repeater and have had no luck setting it up to operate in access mode mode, just like everyone else here. Based on the recommendation from maroy1986, I downgraded to the original firmware but it doesn't change anything.

Thanks.

I just got an AC56, which caused me to find this thread. When connected as an AP, my laptop cannot get to the Internet. Is that problem the same one that others here are having? It looks like it goes back to Amazon. It has the latest firmware.

I just got an AC56, which caused me to find this thread. When connected as an AP, my laptop cannot get to the Internet. Is that problem the same one that others here are having? It looks like it goes back to Amazon. It has the latest firmware.
Yes this is it. Try to downgrade the firmware to the first available version. That's what I did and it runs flawless since... Sometime my android phone still complain it cannot find internet connection while being connect to it but that's the only device complaining, the others works fines. Might be device related.

Yes this is it. Try to downgrade the firmware to the first available version. That's what I did and it runs flawless since... Sometime my android phone still complain it cannot find internet connection while being connect to it but that's the only device complaining, the others works fines. Might be device related.
I'm not sure I want to go there, but I'll give it some consideration. Thanks!

New firmware released on Asus support page .... Ver 3.0.0.4_378_6791.....
Interesting... I might have a look at it this week-end... I'll see, it still going strong with the initial firmware over here. But since it fix some security issue for once, it might worth it...

Interesting... I might have a look at it this week-end... I'll see, it still going strong with the initial firmware over here. But since it fix some security issue for once, it might worth it...
For what it's worth, I returned mine. It's not worth the fight. I got a Ubiquiti unit that's working perfectly.

You're lucky. I found this issue in Access Point mode after the delay I could return it was over, so I'm stuck with it. Better try to squeeze what I can from it. Right now I'm at 33 days of uptime without issues in access point mode, still on initial firmware. I'm getting my full internet speed on it which is 120/20 mbps so I have nothing to complain really since I bring it back to the first firmware.

Of course, Ubiquiti are mostly the best thing you can get right now in WIFI Products :) Good choice!

Looking good over here after upgrade, and never had sucess with other firmwares. Maybe this is it, finaly..... hope so...

Looking good over here after upgrade, and never had sucess with other firmwares. Maybe this is it, finaly..... hope so...
So far so good here too with the latest firmware you point out yesterday! Let's hope it will be stable. It also fixed the weird issues I was having with android device that wasn't able to connect to the extender. That's nice.

I had the issue reported by several here in this thread - roaming from my regular router (RT-N66U) to the RP-AC56 in AP mode took 5 minutes before the client got an IP adress. With the IP adress, everything worked fine. Roaming back worked immediately.

After several back-and-forth with ASUS support, they sent me the new firmware (3.0.0.4.378_6791-g9e554d0). I installed it, and all tests I've done so for seems to indicate that the issue is gone. I can move between the two areas back and forth, and seems to get a connection with no delay.

I'm giving the latest firmware a go - I received a replacement from ASUS - still struggling with IP addresses / Internet access from the device, but, it is stable from the fact that it doesn't constantly need rebooting.

Let's see how this goes...

edit: DHCP passthrough (i.e. from my DHCP server) is working, internet access is working, and even reasonably hand off too from router downstairs to when I go upstairs... early days yet!

Last edited:
Same - seems a lot more stable.

Out of interest do you use a different SSID to your router, or do you use the same and hope it "roams" from one to the other?

Same - seems a lot more stable.

Out of interest do you use a different SSID to your router, or do you use the same and hope it "roams" from one to the other?
Still using separate SSID, I love to know where I'm actually connected. I guess this is a personnal preference... My laptop is configured to always switch to the strongest signal available so it switch between the router and the extender flawlessly.

Still using separate SSID, I love to know where I'm actually connected. I guess this is a personnal preference... My laptop is configured to always switch to the strongest signal available so it switch between the router and the extender flawlessly.

I think that's sensible, I do the same, and just set my router to disconnect when the SNR drops to less than -70dB - seems to offer a good compromise and sort of "roams". Ideally I'd love the same SSID - but for that you need to spend a bit more for higher tier gear.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!