What's new

ASUS RT 5300 Firmware issues and I can't downgrade, Could use help thanks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
Hi, My router speeds went from 500 Download to around 100, I checked and my router has the newest firmware which I did not download. I have had this spped issue in the past when i updated the firmware but this time I did not.

I am trying to go back to this one which I know worked well, It appears as if it is installing but after reboot I am still on the newest Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072 2020/09/03

I want this one ....Version 3.0.0.4.384.81219 2019/11/0741.66 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81219
Security fix
- Fixed a DDoS vulnerability. Thanks for Altin Thartori's contribution.
I do have a Imesh node which is also both a 5300 .

Any help would be great. Thank you

New firmwares will now automatically update to the latest version, making downgrading impossible unless you downgrade to a version old enough to not have the auto-upgrade functionality.

Hi, My router speeds went from 500 Download to around 100, I checked and my router has the newest firmware which I did not download. I have had this spped issue in the past when i updated the firmware but this time I did not.

I am trying to go back to this one which I know worked well, It appears as if it is installing but after reboot I am still on the newest Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072 2020/09/03

I want this one ....Version 3.0.0.4.384.81219 2019/11/0741.66 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81219
Security fix
- Fixed a DDoS vulnerability. Thanks for Altin Thartori's contribution.
I do have a Imesh node which is also both a 5300 .

Any help would be great. Thank you

Seems like the first step would be to reset the new/current firmware and configure again.

OE

So It updated on its own, I don't like that as I have had problems with every up date I tried since the one I posted above. It really slows my router down. I am really not good with this stuff, I have tried to reconfigure it but I have not had any luck. Do we know which firmware version I could load up that will not have the auto update? I could try it and see what happens. I have heard good things about the merlin stuff but I am nervous about messing something up and I wont be able to fix it.

I have two 5300 one is a node.

So It updated on its own, I don't like that as I have had problems with every up date I tried since the one I posted above. It really slows my router down. I am really not good with this stuff, I have tried to reconfigure it but I have not had any luck. Do we know which firmware version I could load up that will not have the auto update? I could try it and see what happens. I have heard good things about the merlin stuff but I am nervous about messing something up and I wont be able to fix it.

I have two 5300 one is a node.

After you're done being afraid of it...

Reset each router, configure one from scratch, and add the node.

My install notes might offer some clues sans any tri-band detail.

OE

If I reconfigure I would still have the same Firmware correct? Because I have reset them back to default in the past but they still would have speed issues until I downgraded the firmware.

If I reconfigure I would still have the same Firmware correct? Because I have reset them back to default in the past but they still would have speed issues until I downgraded the firmware.

The reset loads the factory default values for the current firmware. The current firmware remains, but is reset to a known good starting point. Sometimes a firmware upgrade has issues because it doesn't start with its default values. This is explained here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

I suggest that before you ditch the firmware upgrade, clean install it by resetting it and configuring it from scratch. Then if you still have issues, troubleshoot those and/or downgrade to the firmware of your choice. And be sure to reset that firmware before configuring it.

Lately, Asus firmware has been updating automatically. So this may spoil any plan to downgrade. Another reason to give the current latest firmware a fair shot... a clean install.

OE

Please bare with me as I am trying to learn this stuff, So every time the router updates the firmware I have to do a factory reset and reload my settings? The one reason I am hesitant to do this is because I had to pay a guy to come set this up when I used Nano stations to send wifi to an access point (Asus AC3100 router) out in my shop and also to run my Security system there. I saved his settings but I am assuming if I do a Reset on the router and then install the back up I made it would then just reset everything back and it would not actually be a clean install am I correct on thinking this?

Please bare with me as I am trying to learn this stuff, So every time the router updates the firmware I have to do a factory reset and reload my settings? The one reason I am hesitant to do this is because I had to pay a guy to come set this up when I used Nano stations to send wifi to an access point (Asus AC3100 router) out in my shop and also to run my Security system there. I saved his settings but I am assuming if I do a Reset on the router and then install the back up I made it would then just reset everything back and it would not actually be a clean install am I correct on thinking this?

You are correct... restoring a saved configuration will negate any benefit from performing the reset.

You could look into the speed slow down first... try to prove it's not the router. Can you wire a PC directly to the ISP box and perform a speed test?

But you will still be left with a router that wants to auto-update. A clean install is likely in your future.

OE

I get close to 500 Plugged into the router ( I pay for 400 ) If I set the router 5 G 1 Band to 20/40/80 and manually select channel 40/44or48 I get 450 Speed If I leave it on auto it seems to like channel 36 and the speeds are around 120. 5G 2 band if I leave it on 20/40/80 and auto I get speed of are 110, I can not manually select a channel on the 5G2. If I select 40 and leave the channel Blank as I can't select anything I get speeds of around 300.

2.4 I get speeds of just over a 100 .

Before I was able to leave everything on 20/40/80 and auto and the 5 G 1 and 2 bands always gave me similiar sppeds in the 400's. But any time firmware changed I had the above issues untill I reverted the Firmware back.

I get close to 500 Plugged into the router ( I pay for 400 ) If I set the router 5 G 1 Band to 20/40/80 and manually select channel 40/44or48 I get 450 Speed If I leave it on auto it seems to like channel 36 and the speeds are around 120. 5G 2 band if I leave it on 20/40/80 and auto I get speed of are 110, I can not manually select a channel on the 5G2. If I select 40 and leave the channel Blank as I can't select anything I get speeds of around 300.

2.4 I get speeds of just over a 100 .

Before I was able to leave everything on 20/40/80 and auto and the 5 G 1 and 2 bands always gave me similiar sppeds in the 400's. But any time firmware changed I had the above issues untill I reverted the Firmware back.

Those speeds are promising... the ISP provision appears ok. Finding the best performing fixed-channel (not Auto) is a worthwhile exercise.

Someone else will have to comment on the tri-band details.

When measuring WiFi 'speed', be sure to consider the client connection link rate speed which can be a function of band, protocol, antennas/streams, client processing overhead, etc. These wireless client affects can be the limiting factor... the client's link rate speed is a useful indicator of what to expect.

But ultimately, I think a clean install is in your future, if only to rule out any dirty firmware upgrade issues.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!