What's new

ASUS RT-86U Merlin and NordVPN pre-configured/custom configuration and DNS settings ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is probably the question that should have been asked first, but why are you using a VPN at all? Please don't say security.
Privacy - prevent my ISP from gathering info about what websites we visit. Prevent websites/companies from tracking us all over the internet, gathering info into a comprehensive profile.

Normally the default setting (your ISP's servers) are the fastest. However some people prefer to use Google, Quad9, etc.
I don't know what Quad9 is, but for privacy reasons, I try to avoid Google when possible. Are there other DNS servers that promise not to log your info?

250Mbps is more than enough for streaming Netflix, etc. However, using a VPN tunnel will add latency which can cause problems for things like video calling or VoIP. Those services may not even work at all over a VPN, depending on how they're implemented.

Uh-oh. This is a big problem then. We use a Spectrum VoIP phone as our "landline". And we use video calling through GrandPad (app/device for seniors), and sometimes thru Signal and FaceTime.
How can I work around this? Is there a way to quickly turn VPN off, temporarily, as needed?

I wasn't even thinking of our "landline" being affected... is there a way to keep it off the VPN?

Privacy - prevent my ISP from gathering info about what websites we visit.
Fair enough. But now you're placing your trust in a commercial VPN provider that operates outside any legal jurisdiction.

Prevent websites/companies from tracking us all over the internet, gathering info into a comprehensive profile.
In reality VPNs don't achieve that. Websites/companies have much more effective ways of tracking you than by IP address.

I don't know what Quad9 is, but for privacy reasons, I try to avoid Google when possible. Are there other DNS servers that promise not to log your info?
There are whole threads on these forums that discuss the pros and cons of various DNS services.

Uh-oh. This is a big problem then. We use a Spectrum VoIP phone as our "landline". And we use video calling through GrandPad (app/device for seniors), and sometimes thru Signal and FaceTime.
How can I work around this? Is there a way to quickly turn VPN off, temporarily, as needed?

I wasn't even thinking of our "landline" being affected... is there a way to keep it off the VPN?
That is what VPN Director is for. It allows to the select which devices go through the VPN and which don't.

If commercial VPN providers are not trustworthy, and if I can't use the VPN to keep companies from tracking me, then maybe I shouldn't bother trying to use a VPN. (I could still use a VPN app on mobile devices, when traveling.)

I will be offline for about an hour or so... back soon.

Paid for VPNs can't offer privacy or security. Just how the internet works. Regardless of their marketing claims.

The only VPN you can trust is the one you own both ends of. And even then, if you browse to the world wide web, that trust/privacy/security goes out the window.

If you're online, you're not private. Nor secure.

Ever.

If commercial VPN providers are not trustworthy

Public VPN servers are well known and some sites will refuse services when such connection is detected. You'll be asked to turn the VPN off, you'll be asked to authenticate yourself more often, your speed will be limited to the router's CPU capabilities, your latency will be higher. If you really don't need this hiding from your ISP (depending on what country you live in) - it creates more trouble than benefit. Your VPN privacy ideas will affect your entire family's Internet experience. Do you like sleeping on the couch? 🤭

I could still use a VPN app on mobile devices, when traveling.

Even this is not needed. You can connect back to your home router using the built-in VPN server and use your home ISP instead. No need to pay NordVPN.

@L&LD: So are you saying a VPN is worthless? Would Mullvad or Proton offer better privacy, in terms of them being less likely to share my info?

If I am home on my own wifi, using Brave or Firefox as my browser, does going thru a VPN help with privacy at all?

@Tech9 - I can understand why Netflix or other such service might not allow you to connect thru a VPN. But the site I was trying to reach is just a support forum for users of the (antiquated) Squeezebox Radios. I can't imagine that they would care that I was trying to connect thru a VPN. I think maybe it is something else that has caused this error msg - something incorrect in the way I set up the VPN.

But if what both you and @L&LD are saying is that I shouldn't bother with the VPN, I am at a point where I am ready to throw in the towel, and try to get a refund from Nord. (Or at the very least, stop trying to use the VPN on the router, and just use the app on my computer, which is easy to turn on and off.)

I don't travel much, but if I do, I guess I can use a free ProtonVPN acct (since I have no idea how to connect back to my home router using "the built-in VPN server").

Last edited:
What about Mullvad or Proton?

Just two more of the many online business companies trying to get some money from you.

So are you saying a VPN is worthless?

I have NordVPN account and use it from time to time to access services not available in my region. Works well for this purpose.

does going thru a VPN help at all?

Help with what? You make NordVPN your ISP and pay them on top of what you pay your local ISP. It helps NordVPN, I guess. 😷

Last edited:
ISP's like Spectrum are known to sell your information. I was hoping that reputable VPN companies would not.

If you are after eliminating all information leaks you won't be able to sleep well and you'll probably get sick. This is the 21st century reality. If you want to use something online you pay with your data. This is valid for seemingly offline services as well. We have discussed the cabin in the woods options before. It was a fun thread.

I am not going to freak about about controlling all data leaks. But yes, I would like to keep that info down to a trickle. And I really resent companies that are selling my data EVEN THO I am a paid customer. If they want more $ from me, they should offer a more expensive tier that does not involve your data being sold. (Like some companies make you pay to remove ads.) I pay for my email, bec I prefer that my email company not rifle thru my mail. (This is probably of limited effectiveness, since everyone else I know insists on using gmail. Still, it makes me feel a little better.)

Last edited:
It all comes down to who you trust more and who advertises the services offered better. Folks with public VPN questions and all network through VPN ideas stop by quite often. Seems like VPN companies do quite successful advertising. Most use scare tactics how you are basically walking bare naked through the rainforest when surfing Internet. It's up to you what are you going to do. Your router, your network, your money. Just don't go overboard because your family members will start to complain at some point.

Read this, it's shorter:

Ok, I will. After I get some fresh air.

Meanwhile, as you said, family members are complaining - internet radio disconnecting every 5 min! So I turned the Service state to OFF on the VPN Client > OpenVPN Client Settings page. I guess later I should reset the WAN > DNS servers to Spectrum's servers.

I guess later I should reset the WAN > DNS servers to Spectrum's servers.

You can choose other DNS provider, there are many to choose from. Most folks use malware filtering DNS services instead of default ISP DNS. My personal opinion - for home use CleanBrowsing is very consistent and good enough. They have free DNS filtering in three different packages. Paid options are available as well, but not needed.

Last edited:
Is the VPN limitation of about 250 Mbps reasonable

By the way, your specific XT8 model will be limited to around 100Mbps on OpenVPN. This speed is not guaranteed, perhaps less in real life.

The CPU in this model is ARMv7 type without AES instructions. Only ARMv8 CPUs with AES instructions can do about 250Mbps on OpenVPN.

Sorry if you need to go out and get fresh air again. 😒

Last edited:
@L&LD: So are you saying a VPN is worthless?

Yes. Any paid for VPN is worthless for the marketing claims they have (and the use of scare tactics to get you to believe you need them).

Save your money. There is nothing you can do. Unless you own the whole internet.

your specific XT8 model will be limited to around 100Mbps on OpenVPN
:( So that's not good enough for surfing? streaming netflix? zoom?

And will OpenVPN still be used if I were to use the Nord app (or some other VPN's app), without applying it to the router?

Last edited:
So that's not good enough for surfing? streaming netflix? zoom?

Still good enough for family use with all surfing, streaming, etc. Not sure about time sensitive video applications like Zoom with added latency over VPN. Your "up to" speed is going to be 1/3 of the "up to" ISP line you pay for. At the end of the day you'll be paying more for lower speed and quality Internet connection. Comes as a result of your own privacy chasing decisions. The VPN company gets your money and you live with the limitations, but have the false sense or extra privacy and security.

Last edited:
And will OpenVPN still be used if I were to use the Nord app

Yes, but the device you use it on may have different processing power and speed limits. Today's computers will do easily 300Mbps on OpenVPN, but the speed and latency also depends on the server you connect to. How far, how busy, what connection to Internet it has, etc. Commercial VPNs don't guarantee any speed. In this case only the traffic from/to the device running the VPN App will go through VPN. The rest of your devices will go through your ISP. NordVPN allows up to 6 individual devices per account.