What's new

Asus RT-86U with BT Smart Hub 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
My current set up is RT86U connected to Virgin Media Modem(100mb). I have couple of 6 switch boxes connected to the router and the PC to it as well. There are some WIFI devices in use as well.

I am planning to move over to BT Fibre (BT have confirmed I can get FTTP with up to 900mb speed). Can I run the BT Smart Hub 2 in a modem mode as I do with VM one now? The Asus 86U is setup as "WAN connection - Automatic IP). This set up is important for me as the BT hub can provide a Digital Voice line as well. Asus 86U, I believe, is a better performer than the BT smart hub 2.

My current set up is RT86U connected to Virgin Media Modem(100mb). I have couple of 6 switch boxes connected to the router and the PC to it as well. There are some WIFI devices in use as well.

I am planning to move over to BT Fibre (BT have confirmed I can get FTTP with up to 900mb speed). Can I run the BT Smart Hub 2 in a modem mode as I do with VM one now? The Asus 86U is setup as "WAN connection - Automatic IP). This set up is important for me as the BT hub can provide a Digital Voice line as well. Asus 86U, I believe, is a better performer than the BT smart hub 2.

BT Smart Hub 2 : Enable Bridge mode. Disable DHCP and some options.
Read this.

Read this.
Saw that post - did not realise we had AT & T available here in UK. What other options do you mean by "some other option" apart from the AT & T post please.

Read this.

Probably best to ask on the BT forums for a definitive answer. From the looks of it only the Business Smart Hubs have a Bridge mode, but that might have changed.

Last edited:
Saw that post - did not realise we had AT & T available here in UK. What other options do you mean by "some other option" apart from the AT & T post please.
ATT in UK?:eek: . They only provide Enterprise and Roaming services in UK. Anyway...It doesn't matter. Just disable those options like WiFi, firewall something like that.
Read this. The options from following link. This is the most common and easy way to use your own router. Sometimes you should use MAC Clone.
Otherwise just disable those options.

Last edited: