What's new

ASUS RT-AC1900P and low speed on iOS via WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FatTomato

New Around Here
I’m using an Asus RT-AC1900P router linked via Ethernet (Cat8) bridge to an identical RT-AC1900P and for the life of me I can’t establish a solid WIFi network that will download more than 80Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 200Mbps on 5Ghz on any of my Apple devices (Apple iPhone XS Max and a 4th Gen iPad). When I hard wire my MacBook into my router I get 450-500Mbps Down, which is not nearly as fast as the advertised 600Mbps but still much better than 200Mbps. I tried changing channels, I tried extending the width of the channel and nothing seems to work? Is there something else I should look at? A friend told me to look at the uplink speed of the devices in question but I don’t know what the speed is for any of my Apple devices, so I can’t accurately know if the client is working properly or if it’s a router issue, can someone help? The more I read the more I get confused because the info isn’t really solid on what The problem is. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

iPhoneXS Max and iPad 4th Gen gets 80Mbps on 2.4 and 200 Mpbs on 5G with asus surfboard 6190 and AsusRT-AC1900P and I donno what I need to get it faster

I’m using an Asus RT-AC1900P router linked via Ethernet (Cat8) bridge to an identical RT-AC1900P and for the life of me I can’t establish a solid WIFi network that will download more than 80Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 200Mbps on 5Ghz on any of my Apple devices (Apple iPhone XS Max and a 4th Gen iPad). When I hard wire my MacBook into my router I get 450-500Mbps Down, which is not nearly as fast as the advertised 600Mbps but still much better than 200Mbps. I tried changing channels, I tried extending the width of the channel and nothing seems to work? Is there something else I should look at? A friend told me to look at the uplink speed of the devices in question but I don’t know what the speed is for any of my Apple devices, so I can’t accurately know if the client is working properly or if it’s a router issue, can someone help? The more I read the more I get confused because the info isn’t really solid on what The problem is. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

iPhoneXS Max and iPad 4th Gen gets 80Mbps on 2.4 and 200 Mpbs on 5G with asus surfboard 6190 and AsusRT-AC1900P and I donno what I need to get it faster

Ethernet is full duplex and WiFi is half-duplex plus other overhead and subject to the WiFi protocol and antennas/streams in affect, so 200 Mbps may be about it. Wait for better advice here!

OE

What distances from the router are you testing WiFi from? What firmware are you running? When was the last time you fully reset the router, AFTER flashing the firmware you want to use?

You can try new SSID's (so that the microcode stored with the old ones isn't used) or you can alternately 'forget', reboot, and then re-associate every device to start them off 'fresh' (a new SSID is much simpler).

The following may also help, but keep in mind what @OzarkEdge states above, if the ISP is only giving you 5/6ths or less of your paid-for speeds, then that is another avenue you want to explore after you've made sure your internal network is operating as fast as possible.

When testing WiFi, you should be at least 10 feet away from the router or more, line of sight. You should also be using a plugged-in to AC power computer (not a handheld device) that has been set to it's highest performance mode. The computer should be connected internally to at least 2 antennae or more for the WiFi module inside.

What distances from the router are you testing WiFi from? What firmware are you running? When was the last time you fully reset the router, AFTER flashing the firmware you want to use?

You can try new SSID's (so that the microcode stored with the old ones isn't used) or you can alternately 'forget', reboot, and then re-associate every device to start them off 'fresh' (a new SSID is much simpler).

The following may also help, but keep in mind what @OzarkEdge states above, if the ISP is only giving you 5/6ths or less of your paid-for speeds, then that is another avenue you want to explore after you've made sure your internal network is operating as fast as possible.

When testing WiFi, you should be at least 10 feet away from the router or more, line of sight. You should also be using a plugged-in to AC power computer (not a handheld device) that has been set to it's highest performance mode. The computer should be connected internally to at least 2 antennae or more for the WiFi module inside.

Using stock Asus software and stock AiMesh that comes with their hardware.

software is latest release.

I understand why youstate to test with a computer ba handheld, however, since I have theee kids and each use a handheld to stream video from the internet, wouldn’t it be best to gauge my speeds and how my wireless network acts with handhelds?

I honestly don’t use the wireless network on anything other than handhelds, I have a desktop that is hard wired in and so is my laptop.

Lastly, can you elaborate on what you spoke about re:SSIDs, I’m curious about whst you wrote. If you could paste a link that would be great thanks.

Oh and BTW is the 2x2 MIMO feature of the iPhone XS used by the Asus RT-AC1900P, or would I have to purchase a “better” router to use that feature?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!