What's new

ASUS RT-AC3100 flipping out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can't post with thoughts of how it effects 3rd party applications. In addition my post was light hearted in regards to the length of posts and how long it takes to get to the bottom of the page when members feel compelled to post 12 inches of log files.
That's fine, I wasn't serious either, sure didn't to start a war over it. Post on...

I took a leap of faith and changed all of my wireless settings back to typical (out of the box defaults) and the issues seem to have magically gone away. Makes no sense at all. The only thing I have done was move my Samsung SmartThings Hub to the basement (out of the room) and placed the router on a vented grille.

Neither of these changes should have resulted in the strange issues experienced previously. I'm baffled.

ASUSWRT RT-AC3100_3.0.0.4 Thu Feb 25 01:51:37 UTC 2016
user@(none):/tmp/home/root# uptime
18:51:33 up 4:35, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04

In my experience location is a big deal with wireless gear. If the grill was metal then that could cause problems. It was listed as mistake #1 in something I recently read in the blog listed below. Here's the relevant passage:

"Mistake 1
• Access points with integrated omni-directional antennas (where the max gain is sideways) are placed among or above metal air ducts, grids and large lamp reflectors.
• Outcome: A lot of reflections and refractions cause multiple copies of the signal to arrive at receivers, thereby dropping the data rates. As the radio waves reflect in random directions, the signal strength suffers at both ends."

http://7signal.com/blog/10-wi-fi-antenna-placement-mistakes/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

In my experience location is a big deal with wireless gear. If the grill was metal then that could cause problems. It was listed as mistake #1 in something I recently read in the blog listed below. Here's the relevant passage:

"Mistake 1
• Access points with integrated omni-directional antennas (where the max gain is sideways) are placed among or above metal air ducts, grids and large lamp reflectors.
• Outcome: A lot of reflections and refractions cause multiple copies of the signal to arrive at receivers, thereby dropping the data rates. As the radio waves reflect in random directions, the signal strength suffers at both ends."

http://7signal.com/blog/10-wi-fi-antenna-placement-mistakes/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
No metal grill. Plastic. I've been doing networking for a long time as I do Cloud Engineering. Never seen these issues before.

What is even more strange is so many others using various models reporting similar issues as well. Makes me wonder if there was a firmware big introduced in a prior build that went undetected.

Regardless, I am running again and that's all that matters to me thoguht it would be nice to have a post mortem to understand that cause of the failures to behind with.

Now it's time to work on tuning again as all of my prior settings are lost and I am using defaults. I prefer to never use 100% of the default settings as I have some devices that dislike the ASUS defaults.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe the more these wireless routers are tweaked for better performance that the more susceptible they are to the same issues we've always had - interference, obstacles. Particularly AC routers that use more and more of the available 5GHz bands simultaneously. That and firmware always takes time to optimize.

I can't post with thoughts of how it effects 3rd party applications. In addition my post was light hearted in regards to the length of posts and how long it takes to get to the bottom of the page when members feel compelled to post 12 inches of log files.
FYI, for future reference... The spoiler tag does a good job of hiding material until you want to see it. And works with tapatalk.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!