What's new

Asus RT AC3200 hardware issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jnk

New Around Here
Hi there

My router has been problematic since day one. This frustrates me a lot. I`m a person who likes to fix my own problems so, therefore, i seek help here instead of getting it replaced. I know there exist many threads for similar issues but none of the answers work. My router keeps disconnecting some devices, (not completely, but to a degree where it is useless) on my network for some seconds. It is also very unstable. Sometimes the internet is really slow and needs a long time to load sites. A refresh of the browser fixes the problem. The wireless signal strength, in general, is weak.

After purchase, i updated the router to FW 382.50624. It was then all my problems started. Tried countless times with reboot, flash, reset, initializing, power cycle. Then i decided to try Merlin. Updated to 384.11. Same problems. Tried the same things. Even downgrade to FW 380.66 with Asus software. Same problems. Now i use 384.11_2. Have tried every combination of all the settings available. And my current settings on Merlin have decreased numbers of disconnects, but it still happens a handful of times per day. There is a lot of wireless equipment in my neighborhood but no one is on my channel and bandwidth. There is also no Bluetooth devices in my house, neither in the immediate vicinity of my location. I do not have a microwave. So, therefore, i concluded that interference likely is not the cause. I have also done basic stuff, like move the location of the router, and so on. Speedtest shows as close to my network speed as it can get (100 down/20 up). Replaced all wires (Cat 6) and modem. Also, my ISP checked their lines and HFC to my house.

Now i literally have 25.000 DHCP «error» messages in the log. Every device has a static IP. My errors are DHCPREQUEST (BR0), DHCPPACK (BR0) and sometimes eth3: disconnect weak signal strength station, eth3: remove client from monitoring list. But these seem to be normal. Lease time set to 7 days.

I do use smart connect. Use channel 100, 36 and 13. 80MHz for 5GHz 1/2 and 20MHz for 2.4GHz. Do only have one WiFi 4 device. Have tried unplugging it. My other devices do have and use WiFi 5. Mostly Apple devices. At first, i thought that the WiFi sleeping thing on Apple devices was the problem but have done everything possible to either counter or disable that. No difference.

Temperatures are around 50-60 degrees Celsius. At most i have around 10 devices connected at the same time. My wired PS4 has no problems at all. Do not use any USB ports, QoS, Traffic Analyzer or AiProtection but have tried them all without success. CPU load sits at around 1-3% and RAM is around 24 %. H/W Ver.: R4.12

Maybe a hardware issue and not software?

Hope at least one person can read this exam and help with my frustration.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Have done exactly that now. Can`t tell if the problems have been fixed yet, but will let you know tomorrow. Did notice that 5GHz-2 band not showing up for about 15-20 min after the last reboot (which is new to me) and over 300 DHCP messages in the log (as described above). :)

Hi there

My router has been problematic since day one. This frustrates me a lot. I`m a person who likes to fix my own problems so, therefore, i seek help here instead of getting it replaced. I know there exist many threads for similar issues but none of the answers work. My router keeps disconnecting some devices, (not completely, but to a degree where it is useless) on my network for some seconds. It is also very unstable. Sometimes the internet is really slow and needs a long time to load sites. A refresh of the browser fixes the problem. The wireless signal strength, in general, is weak.

After purchase, i updated the router to FW 382.50624. It was then all my problems started. Tried countless times with reboot, flash, reset, initializing, power cycle. Then i decided to try Merlin. Updated to 384.11. Same problems. Tried the same things. Even downgrade to FW 380.66 with Asus software. Same problems. Now i use 384.11_2. Have tried every combination of all the settings available. And my current settings on Merlin have decreased numbers of disconnects, but it still happens a handful of times per day. There is a lot of wireless equipment in my neighborhood but no one is on my channel and bandwidth. There is also no Bluetooth devices in my house, neither in the immediate vicinity of my location. I do not have a microwave. So, therefore, i concluded that interference likely is not the cause. I have also done basic stuff, like move the location of the router, and so on. Speedtest shows as close to my network speed as it can get (100 down/20 up). Replaced all wires (Cat 6) and modem. Also, my ISP checked their lines and HFC to my house.

Now i literally have 25.000 DHCP «error» messages in the log. Every device has a static IP. My errors are DHCPREQUEST (BR0), DHCPPACK (BR0) and sometimes eth3: disconnect weak signal strength station, eth3: remove client from monitoring list. But these seem to be normal. Lease time set to 7 days.

I do use smart connect. Use channel 100, 36 and 13. 80MHz for 5GHz 1/2 and 20MHz for 2.4GHz. Do only have one WiFi 4 device. Have tried unplugging it. My other devices do have and use WiFi 5. Mostly Apple devices. At first, i thought that the WiFi sleeping thing on Apple devices was the problem but have done everything possible to either counter or disable that. No difference.

Temperatures are around 50-60 degrees Celsius. At most i have around 10 devices connected at the same time. My wired PS4 has no problems at all. Do not use any USB ports, QoS, Traffic Analyzer or AiProtection but have tried them all without success. CPU load sits at around 1-3% and RAM is around 24 %. H/W Ver.: R4.12

Maybe a hardware issue and not software?

Hope at least one person can read this exam and help with my frustration.

Thanks.

get rid of smart connect - you dont need it - just another frivolous addition to complexity and an additional something that can go wrong. Assign your own band to devices.

Did notice that 5GHz-2 band not showing up for about 15-20 min after the last reboot (which is new to me) and over 300 DHCP messages in the log (as described above). :)
300 or 25k error messages and in which time interval?
Others here will read 25.000 as 25 with fractional part.

Last edited:
i have 3 ac3200 running none have any problems one has been running for over 6 years , rock solid , of course no apple devices , get rid of smart connect for sure , that i had trouble with , constant disconnects .

I did not enable smart connect after following L&LDs guide. So far so good. Only thing is that 2.4GHz band is very slow while Speedtest is fast. Only AC devices. So i disabled it for good.

Examples from the log:

dnsmasq-dhcp[243]: DHCPACK(br0)
dnsmasq-dhcp[243]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)

Showing up for every device on my network multiple times with different time interval. Don`t know for sure what exactly this is, but nothing is wrong so i guess it's just there.
Also noticed that some devices renewed IP before lease time ended. While they have static IP. So it automatically changes back to the set IP. Maybe issue with DHCP? Or is it normal?

Anyhow, thanks to L&LD for the excellent guide.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!