What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yup done that bud.

Took it a step further and reflashed latest firmware with a full wipe after - still got the same prob :(

Are we ok to downgrade back to older firmware?

I'm having issues with my RT-AC3200 and our mobile and tablets. The WiFi throughput is really lacklustre, testing with SpeedTest-app we normally see 0,5-2mbit down and 1mbit on our 120/120mbit connection. I've figured we can't expect awesome results on mobile phones and tablets, but this is horrible.

All clients are within 6-12 meters from the router, which is looked in a high spot with free visibility and there are no walls between the router and the clients. When I switch to our RT-AC68 which is running in Access Point mode I'm getting 25mbit+ down and upload.

We are seeing the same thing with our MacBooks, the connection information within Mac OS X is claiming link speeds of 100-150 mbps even when we are really close to the router on 802.11ac. And testing with Speedtest.net we are normally seeing 2-10mbit, connecting to the RT-AC68 access point we are seeing link rates of 650mbps+ and Speedtest.net results in full 120/120mbit speeds.

I have tried to run Merlin firmware, latest official BETA-firmware and everything but the horrible throughput persists. Is this normal behaviour and to be expected when using the Broadcom X-Stream aka Smart Connect? I also notice that most of the client keeps having random dropouts from time to time when connected to the RT-AC3200...

Now that Asus have announced the ac-5300 i guess from asus' track record we can forget any decent level of support/new firmwares for this one. Only got mine a month or two ago :(

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'm having issues with my RT-AC3200 and our mobile and tablets. The WiFi throughput is really lacklustre, testing with SpeedTest-app we normally see 0,5-2mbit down and 1mbit on our 120/120mbit connection. I've figured we can't expect awesome results on mobile phones and tablets, but this is horrible.

If you have universal beamforming enabled, might try turning that off - there was another thread where an observation was made that certain devices would drop down to very low data rates with beamforming enabled..

But you can't really control beamforming while you have Smart Connect activated? Aren't you supposed to leave all advanced options alone when using Smart Connect?

Now that Asus have announced the ac-5300 i guess from asus' track record we can forget any decent level of support/new firmwares for this one. Only got mine a month or two ago :(

Asus's track record says otherwise - they've always been good in providing firmware updates for their past generations. They still support the RT-N66U for instance.

Also, RT-AC5300 is more or less the same platform as the RT-AC3200, only a newer chipset. But it's the same Xstream environment, with the same band steering tech. Most firmware improvement for the RT-AC5300 will also directly benefit the RT-AC3200.

Loved my old N66U without doubt but in all honesty it was u who made that router what it is dude :) I still recommend it but only with merlin firmware.

Your updates are incorporated by Asus quite often

This one needs some TLC from you too pls bud. Loads of bugs a year on after release. :(

Good to know the new one is similar and we will benefit from it. Unlike both my rampage iv motherboard and phoebus soundcard which both still dont have fully compatible win10 drivers.

Last edited:

Asus has the best long term support , n16 has been supported for 7+ years , longer than most other manufacturers support routers , Example netgear 3700 v1 lost support 6 years ago , bought at the same time as the rt-16 linksys wrt-600 same ,

Asus has the best long term support , n16 has been supported for 7+ years , longer than most other manufacturers support routers , Example netgear 3700 v1 lost support 6 years ago , bought at the same time as the rt-16 linksys wrt-600 same ,

Glad to hear this about their routers. I'm going off experience owning loads of other Asus kit - for example the Black Edition Rampage IV motherboard - BIOS still in beta, no win10 drivers - its just been abandoned much like most of their sound card drivers etc.

Would love to see Asus change the config on this router though so we can get things like Trend engine updates without having to upgrade firmware. This way we can stay with a stable firmware release without having to worry about things like AV being out of date.

Would love to see Asus change the config on this router though so we can get things like Trend engine updates without having to upgrade firmware. This way we can stay with a stable firmware release without having to worry about things like AV being out of date.

Signatures are already automatically updated, checks are done on a daily basis.

I was thinking more the Trend engine rather than the signatures bud.

for example - each new firmware revision includes:
Security fixes
- Updated TrendMicro security engine.

I was thinking more the Trend engine rather than the signatures bud.

for example - each new firmware revision includes:
Security fixes
- Updated TrendMicro security engine.

The engine is tied to the firmware code, it's not just a drop-in update. That's why it comes with firmware upgrades.

One thing I have noticed is the 5G-2 band keeps going from 100/80 to 116/20 or 132/20.
It never automatically returns to 80Mhz bandwidth, only after I reboot the router. I have the 5G-2 bandwidth set to 80Mhz in the WiFi setup.

I am guessing this is DFS/TPC in action although it's difficult to tell as there is no logging of these events.
Is this normal operation or should consider this a fault?

Thanks.

Anyone successful using the PIA (Private Internet Access) vpn with the rt-ac3200? Did you require alternate firmware?

Same question here. I have been able to setup the profile (using the OpenVPN method) and it connects. Once its connected however I get no internet access at all.

Reactions: Duc
Question to you guys.
How is 2.4 ghz channel performing on your router?I have virgin media 150mb cable,5ghz work perfect(speed 120-150) but 2.4ghz slow specially on my LG3 phone its like limited to 50mb even if i put phone near router speeds stays same around 50mb.Had the same issue with asus laptop changed few settings speed on 2.4ghz is around 100mb.But phone is the same only 50mb. Is this normal for 2.4ghz?
Thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!