What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 (Main) to 2 X RT-AC68 (node) = Nintendo Switch Disaster

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wayne

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

Have been using RT-AC5330 as main and connected to 2 x RT-AC68 as nodes (hardwired).

So far all the devices work great! Great Range, Great Speed! Even my Digital Lock (Wireless) work fabulously. Even from one node to another is so seamlessly.

Now here come the thing -

Jus got the Nintendo Switch, this fellow can connect 2.4GHz and move from node to node BUT it can't detect the 5GHz from the both the Nodes.

I get weak 5GHz mainly because it connect through the Main Router RT-AC5300 which is located in my "Server Room (Kitchen)". So while the Nintendo Switch is in the living room or bedroom, it doesn't connect to the 5GHz through the node.

Any guys here have this teething problem?

Regards Wayne

Hi Guys,

Have been using RT-AC5330 as main and connected to 2 x RT-AC68 as nodes (hardwired).

So far all the devices work great! Great Range, Great Speed! Even my Digital Lock (Wireless) work fabulously. Even from one node to another is so seamlessly.

Jus got the Nintendo Switch, this fellow can connect 2.4GHz and move from node to node BUT it can't detect the 5GHz from the both the Nodes.

I get weak 5GHz mainly because it connect through the Main Router RT-AC5300 which is located in my "Server Room (Kitchen)". So while the Nintendo Switch is in the living room or bedroom, it doesn't connect to the 5GHz through the node.

Regards Wayne

It's always something!

It's worth noting that you just got the Nintendo Switch.

How about a little test... remove a 68U from the AiMesh and configure it as a standalone router with some new SSIDs (WAN service not required). Try to keep things in the same coverage areas. Then see if the Switch freely connects to its WLANs as you expect it to.

OE

I would guess RT-AC68U will use the same channel RT-AC5300 on the 2nd 5GHz radio.
Just make sure 5GHz on nodes are using UNI-1 channels (lower ones). Nintendo Switch can't connect to high channels, like >100.

There may be another issue because RT-AC68U are not supporting smart connect. Don't quote me on this. It used to be like this but I stopped following with 68U updates a while back.

Abandon AiMesh if you're using it since you've got hardwired backhaul. Put the two "remote nodes" into AP mode. You can then individually assign channels to all bands/all nodes per the environment you've got by using a tool like WiFi Analyzer or similar. AiMesh forces frequency overlap. AND you won't have to manage separate SSIDs. The client will be able to select as intended since the frequencies and reception can then steer the connection as designed. Don't hack up your network.

Hi Guys,

Regards Wayne
From what I understand about Aimesh, It uses a dedicated wireless backhaul. So even if you have it wired it will still use the 5ghz as the wireless backhaul. The 5300 is triband so you have an extra 5ghz. The 68u is dual band so unfortunately it uses the 5ghz band as dedicated backhaul and 2.4ghz for devices. The ssid is hidden but has _dwb at the end of name. you would need to replace the 68u's with triband routers to get a 5ghz band throughout the house, when using aimesh. I wish they had a way to disable it for people that use a wired connection.

The Nintendo Switch has the most basic WiFi implementation known to man. We have 3 in our house and we are using AIMesh with an 86U main and a 68U Node. Often the Switches will connect to the first signal it will find and lock itself onto it even if its only a 0-1bar 2.4GHz signal from the furthest access point. Going into the internet connection page and reconnecting to the same network will most of the time get it to find the closest 5GHz network and it will stay on it. The Switch will not auto switch networks or bands even if a much stronger one is available to it, as long as it has some kind of connection it will cling onto it for dear life.

Also 2.4Ghz on the Switch is absolute trash compared to the 5GHz the 3 Switches in my house are all bad and the 4 my mate owns all have weak signals on the 2.4Ghz network.

My house is tiny and to be honest AIMesh is pretty overkill for me, I installed it because I could as I had upgraded to an 86U due to having more devices on my network and I didn’t want the 68U going to waste. Without AIMesh I can actually get an almost full signal on my iPhone in every room of the house apart from my daughters room and the bathroom where it will hop between max signal and 2 out of 3 bars but still perform well.
I installed the AIMesh primarily for my daughters Switch as the WiFi hardware isn’t the greatest so I thought sticking a node closer to it would help and it does when the Switch eventually connects to it. Every other device roams perfectly between the 2 routers no issues. The Switches all report a much weaker connection to the routers when compared to other devices right next to them.

Hopefully the new 386 firmware Asus are getting users to test with the extra roaming features may fix the Switches but I’m not holding out much hope as the Switch WiFi is pretty bad.

This is because there is a limitation on the hardware of the Nintendo Switch. It can only connect to channels 36 to 48 of the 5GHz signal. Anything higher than that it can't detect anymore. It's a hardware limitation of the Nintendo Switch. Try changing the wifi channel between 36 to 48 then you'd be able to detect and connect to it.

This is because there is a limitation on the hardware of the Nintendo Switch. It can only connect to channels 36 to 48 of the 5GHz signal. Anything higher than that it can't detect anymore. It's a hardware limitation of the Nintendo Switch. Try changing the wifi channel between 36 to 48 then you'd be able to detect and connect to it.
That is false, my Nintendo Switches can connect to DFS channels. I’ve seen them on 52, 60, 100, & 108.

Last edited:
That is false, my Nintendo Switches can connect to DFS channels. I’ve seen them on 52, 60, 100, & 108.
Hmmm my Switch is an Asian version and it can only connect up to 48. Could there be a different model of the Switch?

Hmmm my Switch is an Asian version and it can only connect up to 48. Could there be a different model of the Switch?
Must be, mine are European PAL models and they definitely do the DFS channels.

Maybe not a different hardware model but definitely some kind of software region locking I reckon.

Oh! So it’s the damn Switch!

Give up on it’s wireless capability, got myself the Ethernet adapter, dock it, connect it to one of the Aimesh Router AND I’m done with it!

I have a Nintendo Switch - connected to channel 161 on the 5Ghz band with no issues. I have a mix of 68U's and one 86U on my AiMesh network (as nodes). Since the 86U is located in the same room as the Switch, it has been connecting to that particular node. Using a GT-AC5300 as the primary router, located in the basement so the Switch is always connected to one of the AiMesh nodes on the 2nd floor. Wifi 5Ghz bands are set manually to 80Mhz with manual channel assignments - ch 48 on 5G-1 and 161 on 5G-2. Haven't noticed any issues with Wifi connectivity otherwise.

Last edited:
I have a Nintendo Switch - connected to channel 161 on the 5Ghz band with no issues. I have a mix of 68U's and one 86U on my AiMesh network (as nodes). Since the 86U is located in the same room as the Switch, it has been connecting to that particular node. Using a GT-AC5300 as the primary router, located in the basement so the Switch is always connected to one of the AiMesh nodes on the 2nd floor. Wifi 5Ghz bands are set manually to 80Mhz with manual channel assignments - ch 48 on 5G-1 and 161 on 5G-2. Haven't noticed any issues with Wifi connectivity otherwise.
My Switches mostly behave just now and again they choose the wrong node/frequency to use and they refuse to give it up rather than change to the stronger signal.

That being said AIMesh is overkill for me and if I dropped back to one router I wouldn’t have much of an issue. My AIMesh node was primarily to boost signal to my daughters room (devices start to drop to 2 out of 3 bars on 5GHz, but still decent throughput) and to get a boost into the patio area of my garden so I can use airplay a bit more reliably. I am still in the experimental phase with it all right now and still deciding whether to keep it as a mesh or drop back to one.