What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 Smart Connect Rule Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BiggShooter

Regular Contributor
I recently purchased the ASUS RT- AC5300 and have found it to be a very solid performing router. Unfortunately, I had to return / exchange it due to a manufacturer defect (antenna connector loose which caused antenna to not stay in desired position). The replacement should be here in a few days.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to come up with a good configuration for the Smart Connect Rule settings? I was having some issues with devices [specifically the Nest Cam] not being able to connect with a reserved IP address. I did get this resolved by changing the 2.4GHz radio RSSI setting to 'Greater Than -90dBm' and changing the 'VHT' setting to 'All' on all the wifi radios. There also seemed to be an issue with almost all of the 5GHz devices on my network being directed to the 5GHz-2 wifi radio.

I'm looking to set up a specific rule / specific set of rules that would balance out the 5GHz devices between the two 5GHz wifi radios. I'm hoping some ASUS RT- AC5300 users might be able to share their settings, or maybe come up with a set of rules that might allow a more "balanced" setting for 5GHz devices. I thought maybe a set of rules that is based off of signal strength. Thanks for taking time to respond and offer ideas / suggestions to the Smart Connect Rule settings feature the ASUS RT-AC5300 provides users.