What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 Won't Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Occasional Visitor
here's is my problem my router firmware is MERLIN and i already downloaded the latest Merlin firmware for my router but when i try to install it I get an error something cant install because it's not a official Asus firmware i never ever had a problem updating the firmware

Did Asus make the routers so Merlin can't be installed

I chatted with a Asus technician and he told me to just use the latest Official Asus 5300 firmware 300438646065

What firmware version do you currently have installed as shown at the top of the GUI interface?

What is the exact filename of the firmware file you are trying to install?

Right now it has version 386.3_2
New version is 386.4_0
It should work. There have been a few reports of people having difficulty installing 386.4 but they usually succeed after rebooting the router and trying again. Some have resorted to flashing back to stock firmware and then flashing Merlin.

I'm assuming that you've extracted the file from the zip before trying to install it.

It should work. There have been a few reports of people having difficulty installing 386.4 but they usually succeed after rebooting the router and trying again. Some have resorted to flashing back to stock firmware and then flashing Merlin.

I'm assuming that you've extracted the file from the zip before trying to install it.
I know what to do cause I've updated many times but like i said now it's giving me that error I'll try rebooting i hope that works i don't want to reflash to stock

I know what to do cause I've updated many times but like i said now it's giving me that error I'll try rebooting i hope that works i don't want to reflash to stock
try putting the router in emergency mode and flash with cfe miniwebserver.

try putting the router in emergency mode and flash with cfe miniwebserver.

OR save your settings, do a factory default reset, then flash new firmware and do another factory default reset and then
TADA, reapply your saved settings.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to put in a post in hopes that this might show up on a google search and/or it might help someone in a way I wish helped me when I was looking for an answer...

I have just spent the last 2 days hard on this issue and the last 2 weeks in general troubleshooting things here n there because this router was just not playing nice with my two new Pixel 7 Pro. I couldn't get passed the "To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware." even though I was attempting to flash the official firmware from Asus support page to revert the router as far back to out of the box as I could. It would look like it's flashing and updating, but it would just stay stuck on 3.0.0.4.386.48377.

I then turned my attention to installing the more up-to-date recent Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, but could never update the firmware no matter what I tried (You don't know how many times I factory reset -- before, after, days before updating the firmware -- and how many times I rebooted the router -- pressing the power button, unplugging the power cord, every combination or order on which turning it off & on). I even hard reset it in the hopes of erasing the NVRAM, but it would still not allow me to update the firmware; again, it would look like it's uploading and flashing, but stating the "To comply with regulatory amendments..." and never change.

Now while I'm sure I could forcefully flash the firmware through rescue mode and cfe web interface -- which I was going to do next when all else failed -- I was able to go without it by doing one simple thing; I was able to finally get passed the "To comply with regulatory amendments..." and flash the custom firmware (still using the normal web interface) merely by flashing it while hard-wired connected to the router (via ethernet) vs. what I had been doing for weeks by only doing it through wifi.
I was avoiding doing it through ethernet because the router is in a hard to get to place and the ethernet port was hard to reach to and I only had a very short spare ethernet cord. But once I managed to get my laptop connected to it through the ethernet cord, the firmware flash went through perfectly!

I doubt that this solution will apply to all problems & issues with firmware updating and one would most likely need to resort to rescue mode/cfe web interface, but in particular to the issue of the "To comply with regulatory amendments..." causing the firmware to not be updated or blocking it from flashing, this has a good chance of doing the trick!

Before resorting to rescue mode, if all else fails, consider this simple idea...

Hope this helps someone like it would've helped me....

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!