What's new

ASUS RT-AC66R Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.726

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin,

why would the backup save prefs/settings and so on that are not exposed to the user in the first place?

a restore should not apply to your internal values of 500/580/600 example.

There are a lot of settings in the firmware that are related to low-level settings of the router. MAC addresses, for example.

These settings are still modifiable by the end-user, only they have to do it using the nvram command through telnet, not the webui.

All i use your firmware for is the additional monitoring of the router, I dont ever use Aicloud so i guess ill skip this update, unless it offers some amazing speed boost.

Per IP traffic monitoring was highly inaccurate in older versions, so that might be a good reason for you to upgrade if you use that specific monitoring feature.

has any one tried AirPlay using the secondary router when 2 AC-66Us are in media bridge mode? I cant get AirPlay to work on secondary router without using a hack I found on asus-rt merlin site concerning using igmp proxy .

Lately I have had other issues where all devices connected to the secondary router can't connect to the internet but can work fine internally. my ps3 for example gets assigned an IP address of 169.*.*.* .

Dont know if the igmp proxy work around is the culprit but since I don't know networking well, I am hoping that this 726 firmware may have a fix ..

thx

has any one tried AirPlay using the secondary router when 2 AC-66Us are in media bridge mode? I cant get AirPlay to work on secondary router without using a hack I found on asus-rt merlin site concerning using igmp proxy .

Same issue I have with Airplay. It seems like the AC66 doesn't relay the Bonjour protocol or handle mDNS properly. Hoping they fix it officially soon. In the interim, I went with a Linksys WUMC710 bridge.

Lately I have had other issues where all devices connected to the secondary router can't connect to the internet but can work fine internally. my ps3 for example gets assigned an IP address of 169.*.*.* .

Dont know if the igmp proxy work around is the culprit but since I don't know networking well, I am hoping that this 726 firmware may have a fix ..

thx

First, I don't have an AC-66, but I believe this is an issue that goes further back and also effects RT-N66s. I have no idea how Asus defines their media bridge mode, or exactly how it works. I have 2 x Linksys APs running DD-WRT in bridge mode on my network, and my AppleTV is seen behind them OK for AirPlay. There was another guy on here just the other day that I was posting with, who I believe used DD-WRT in its bridge mode instead of Asus's native bridge mode, due to problems similar to yours.

I also have 3 TiVos, 2 of which are behind my Linksys bridges. Both of my bridges are running on 5ghz band (though used to have one on 2.4ghz), yet I just noticed I have IGMP snooping off for 2.4ghz, but enabled for 5ghz. I mention this only because TiVos also use a lot of Bonjour/aka Apple Zero Config to talk to each other. All 3 have been able to see themselves no matter how my IGMP snooping was set, and can still see each other now.

The following two points I'm just throwing out there for people brainstorming how/why some media bridges work and some don't, not necessarily asking for help on my DD-WRT issues or expecting answers in this thread (though feel free to PM me if you'd like! ;))

- For the record, I'm going to throw in that though I have IPV6 address to my router and many of my machines, that DD-WRT doesn't have IPV6 fully up and integrated yet, so my two bridges aren't passing along IPV6 chatter.

- I can't see MAC addresses through the bridge (at least, on the bridge's side of things). This is a known DD-WRT thing and I really can't quite figure out what's going on, the "friendly names" I've assigned the MACs behind the bridges in my DHCP reservation list actually show up in the list of connected devices, and sometimes it will even correctly ID the bridges as "routers" w/ the IP addresses I have reserved for them (I'm talking about just in the list of connected devices). So, even though it looks kind of opaque, it actually still works just fine and I don't have the WDS problems of mandatory WEP encryption and more or less 802.11G speeds.

I'm playing around with Wireshark on a desktop that plugs into a switch, that then plugs into my RT-N66 (so I'm not even sure if the traffic that I'm seeing is of any value), but I did find it interesting that I got those lines in red regarding MDNS (Bonjour) the first line is something about my NAS talking to the AppleTV, and the second red line is my AppleTV's IP.

ELJwGgn.jpg

Then a few lines down (highlighted w/ cursor, line is bright blue) 2 of my Tivos are asking to find each other via ARP and it was one of the bridges that was doing the asking.

And I do have spanning tree on, I'm not sure if I need it, but I figured maybe I should since I have a router/AP, 2 x bridges, and an auxiliary AP on my network.

To OP, sorry this probably doesn't answer your question (except maybe to give it a try by loading DD-WRT or other f/w on your bridged router?), I'm more kind of documenting some weirdness of bridges in general.

If anyone thinks this post goes too many directions let me know and I'll move or edit it.

Thx

Same issue I have with Airplay. It seems like the AC66 doesn't relay the Bonjour protocol or handle mDNS properly. Hoping they fix it officially soon. In the interim, I went with a Linksys WUMC710 bridge.

Are you connecting the Linksys WUMC710 bridge to the rt-ac66u/r ? If so are there any other issues you have had ? I am assumming that the mDNS and Bonjour protocol work flawlessly in this setup?

thx

First, I don't have an AC-66, but I believe this is an issue that goes further back and also effects RT-N66s. I have no idea how Asus defines their media bridge mode, or exactly how it works. I have 2 x Linksys APs running DD-WRT in bridge mode on my network, and my AppleTV is seen behind them OK for AirPlay. There was another guy on here just the other day that I was posting with, who I believe used DD-WRT in its bridge mode instead of Asus's native bridge mode, due to problems similar to yours.

I also have 3 TiVos, 2 of which are behind my Linksys bridges. Both of my bridges are running on 5ghz band (though used to have one on 2.4ghz), yet I just noticed I have IGMP snooping off for 2.4ghz, but enabled for 5ghz. I mention this only because TiVos also use a lot of Bonjour/aka Apple Zero Config to talk to each other. All 3 have been able to see themselves no matter how my IGMP snooping was set, and can still see each other now.

The following two points I'm just throwing out there for people brainstorming how/why some media bridges work and some don't, not necessarily asking for help on my DD-WRT issues or expecting answers in this thread (though feel free to PM me if you'd like! ;))

- For the record, I'm going to throw in that though I have IPV6 address to my router and many of my machines, that DD-WRT doesn't have IPV6 fully up and integrated yet, so my two bridges aren't passing along IPV6 chatter.

- I can't see MAC addresses through the bridge (at least, on the bridge's side of things). This is a known DD-WRT thing and I really can't quite figure out what's going on, the "friendly names" I've assigned the MACs behind the bridges in my DHCP reservation list actually show up in the list of connected devices, and sometimes it will even correctly ID the bridges as "routers" w/ the IP addresses I have reserved for them (I'm talking about just in the list of connected devices). So, even though it looks kind of opaque, it actually still works just fine and I don't have the WDS problems of mandatory WEP encryption and more or less 802.11G speeds.

I'm playing around with Wireshark on a desktop that plugs into a switch, that then plugs into my RT-N66 (so I'm not even sure if the traffic that I'm seeing is of any value), but I did find it interesting that I got those lines in red regarding MDNS (Bonjour) the first line is something about my NAS talking to the AppleTV, and the second red line is my AppleTV's IP.

ELJwGgn.jpg

Then a few lines down (highlighted w/ cursor, line is bright blue) 2 of my Tivos are asking to find each other via ARP and it was one of the bridges that was doing the asking.

And I do have spanning tree on, I'm not sure if I need it, but I figured maybe I should since I have a router/AP, 2 x bridges, and an auxiliary AP on my network.

To OP, sorry this probably doesn't answer your question (except maybe to give it a try by loading DD-WRT or other f/w on your bridged router?), I'm more kind of documenting some weirdness of bridges in general.

If anyone thinks this post goes too many directions let me know and I'll move or edit it.

Thx

Would you know if this user had installed DD-WRT on the rt-ac66u? The DD-WRT website is currently using a Beta version firmware for this particular model ..

thx

374.726 firmware crippled my 2.4Ghz bandwidth. It was stuck at 216Mbps. Had to go back to 374.130 to get a 450Mbps connection back. I was losing 10MBps with the latest firmware. Flashed back & all is good again.

Would you know if this user had installed DD-WRT on the rt-ac66u? The DD-WRT website is currently using a Beta version firmware for this particular model ..

thx

Not off the top of my head (I'm on my phone right now) but if you search my posts, or do an advanced search on my posts + bridge, you should be able to find it.

I will update this reply if I find it later.

Just picked up a 66R at Bestbuy. Updated firmware from the admin screen and it installed 3.0.0.374.130

Are you connecting the Linksys WUMC710 bridge to the rt-ac66u/r ? If so are there any other issues you have had ? I am assumming that the mDNS and Bonjour protocol work flawlessly in this setup?

thx

Yes - using the RT-AC66U as the router and the WUMC710 as the bridge, Airplay seems to work fine with my receiver as a target.

Previously, with 2 RT-AC66Us (one router and one media bridge), there was nothing I could do to get Airplay to function. I also tried it with one as router and one as repeater and still no success.

Yes - using the RT-AC66U as the router and the WUMC710 as the bridge, Airplay seems to work fine with my receiver as a target.

Previously, with 2 RT-AC66Us (one router and one media bridge), there was nothing I could do to get Airplay to function. I also tried it with one as router and one as repeater and still no success.
Thx, I will consider this as my fallback option, I am going to install DD-WRT on the bridge, I have heard that that option works as well.

in case any one is interested I was able to install dd-wrt on both my primary and client bridge and the airplay issues I had have gone away. There is a youtube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG3fVNT18Pc ) that shows how to do just that and tutorials are present on the dd-wrt website on how to set up the client bridge.

I didn't have to do any thing special to get airplay to work, thankfully.

The version of the kong firmware referenced in youtube is a little old, there are newer versions available on kongs website. He recommends installing the HIGHMEM version for the rt-ac66u in case any one is interested.

my lan transfer speeds seem to be a little slower than the stock asus firmware, but that could be a configuration issue that can be rectified, but for me that is the least of my worries.

i am just glad I chose a router whose firmware can be easily replaced if the stock can't do what I need it to do.

Is there a way to do scheduled URL filter?

The Network Services Filter is not good enough! I don't want to enter all the ip addresses. And it doesn't work for youtube, because it shares the same range of ip addresses as google :mad:. Also the schedule is for all the entries in the filter table; would be nice to be selective.

All these functions are available on the old Netgear 3700! :(. I might have to use it again.

Is there a way to do scheduled URL filter?

The Network Services Filter is not good enough! I don't want to enter all the ip addresses. And it doesn't work for youtube, because it shares the same range of ip addresses as google :mad:. Also the schedule is for all the entries in the filter table; would be nice to be selective.

All these functions are available on the old Netgear 3700! :(. I might have to use it again.

URL filtering is getting harder to do these days, as many sites are switching to SSL by default.

Running for more then 3 days now on this firmware with native ipv6, dhcp-pd enabled and hardware acceleration enabled and no sudden reboot did occur. For this configuration the restart issue seems to be fixed.

Running for more then 3 days now on this firmware with native ipv6, dhcp-pd enabled and hardware acceleration enabled and no sudden reboot did occur. For this configuration the restart issue seems to be fixed.

After 8 days a sudden reboot still did occur. With ipv4 only I managed to get more then 20 days uptime and that ended because I decided to install this firmware...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Time Server won't connect

I have the Asus RT-AC66R and installed the latest FW (3.0.0.4.374.979) to see if that would correct the problem that it won't connect to pool.ntp.org - which it did not. I have tried rebooting, resetting to no avail - any advice as to what to do next?

Thanks!

I have the Asus RT-AC66R and installed the latest FW (3.0.0.4.374.979) to see if that would correct the problem that it won't connect to pool.ntp.org - which it did not. I have tried rebooting, resetting to no avail - any advice as to what to do next?

Thanks!

Here's what I did to fix the NTP problem with .979.....

I used north-america.pool.ntp.org instead of pool.ntp.org then I rebooted the router. (I live in north america).

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I haven't had any problem since I made that change.

Here's the list of servers:

http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/69-deciding-which-ntp-pools-to-use/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!