What's new

Asus RT-AC66U and VLANs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amandlaman

New Around Here
Hi,

I live in Spain and have a fiber optic internet connection with Movistar... I recently got an Asus AC66U router and I want to use instead of the crap router included in the package from the ISP. (Comtrend WAP-5813n)

However, it seems for a router to work with Movistar fiber it needs to support VLANs and 802.1q and 802.1p which it seems the latest official firmware from ASUS does not do.

Does the asuswrt merlin address this issue? Does any other firmware compatible with Asus RT AC66U do this?

I appreciate your help!

Hi Amandlaman,

The Asus AC66U should work fine with VLANs and is reportedly working directly connected to the ONT in other countries. Also the Original firmware seems to be very nice and allow you console access to the embedded linux system and even install software inside it.

To setup VLAN connection, Select the WAN menu, under the "Special requirements from ISP" section select "Manual" and in the "Internet" subsection, put the VLAN ID in the VID field, it should do the trick. PS: As you can see you can forward IP telephony net to physical port 3 :).

Hope it helps.

Thank you, that solved it quickly and easily. I guess I had put too much faith in the opinions on another forum. Works like a charm now. Very happy with this router.

Hi Amandlaman,

The Asus AC66U should work fine with VLANs and is reportedly working directly connected to the ONT in other countries. Also the Original firmware seems to be very nice and allow you console access to the embedded linux system and even install software inside it.

To setup VLAN connection, Select the WAN menu, under the "Special requirements from ISP" section select "Manual" and in the "Internet" subsection, put the VLAN ID in the VID field, it should do the trick. PS: As you can see you can forward IP telephony net to physical port 3 :).

Hope it helps.

I can't find this on my firmware ? where is this under WAN to set to "Manual"
I only have Host name and Mac adress to select under "Special requirements from ISP"

Hi Amandlaman,

Hope it helps.

Hi guys,

I have this dark knight and i want to put it directly connected to my ONT (vodafone PT ) by the way.

I can configure everything but i come across an issue called VOIP. After i set all the vlans needed, i can have tv box and internet , but i can't have voip.

As nefeli said you can set to LAN 3 the voip....can you explain better? To do that i have to have a rj45 phone right?

Hi Amandlaman,

Hope it helps.

I signed up here only to say thank you. You made my day! God bless you man.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!