What's new

Asus RT-AC66U - find out HW-Revision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gekap

New Around Here
I just got a brandnew RT-AC66U from Amazon, and I'm very interested to flash it with Asuswrt-Merlin. As I can read on the Asuswrt-Merlin website HW Revision B1 is not supportet. How can I find out the HW-revision of my router? - there is nothing written about a HW-revision number on the sticker on the downside of my router, I doublechecked that...

thanks for help! Gerald

Last edited:
Ok, so it's not the newest model then. Can we see a picture of the label on the box or router?
Either way it should work with the latest RMerlin.
From what I know the newest model has non removable antenna, some have successfully flashed that model with the RMerlin version for the rt-ac68u.

Ok, so it's not the newest model then. Can we see a picture of the label on the box or router?
Either way it should work with the latest RMerlin.
From what I know the newest model has non removable antenna, some have successfully flashed that model with the RMerlin version for the rt-ac68u.
sure:
Capture.JPG

You have the older single core version of the router not the RT-AC66U_b1 with a dual core processor and the USB 3 port in the front. The Merlin FW listed as for the RT-AC66U should work for you.
If you spent more than $129.99 for the old version you may want to return it and order a new version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320325

You have the older single core version of the router not the RT-AC66U_b1 with a dual core processor and the USB 3 port in the front. The Merlin FW listed as for the RT-AC66U should work for you.
If you spent more than $129.99 for the old version you may want to return it and order a new version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320325
I paid less then that. And I'm happy to have the old version, because it's full supportet by Merlin FW. And I'm wondering why you recommend the new version, because I can't run Merlin on it! - what's the reason for your recommendation?

Actually, I am running Merlin on mine! Used the AC68U fw and everything works! I have run the router with the Asus fw and Merlin and can find no performance benefit for either but like the control and features of 380.63-2. It is not official as there could be confusion as to which fw to use. Many people do not read carefully....

The new version has a
I paid less then that. And I'm happy to have the old version, because it's full supportet by Merlin FW. And I'm wondering why you recommend the new version, because I can't run Merlin on it! - what's the reason for your recommendation?

Dual core 800 MHz dual core cpu vs 600 MHz single core.

Actually, I am running Merlin on mine! Used the AC68U fw and everything works! I have run the router with the Asus fw and Merlin and can find no performance benefit for either but like the control and features of 380.63-2. It is not official as there could be confusion as to which fw to use. Many people do not read carefully....

First... while I am newish to post here, I'm not new to posting. So, I apologize first thing for hijacking the thread but I've done a bit of searching and this is the closest that matches my issue and is somewhat timely.

I too recently purchased the RT-AC66U B-1 from Amazon (got here 2 days ago). Got the HW rev. right from the side of the new sealed box. It does not have a USB3 port on the front and the antenna are detachable. I've noticed in RMerlin's post (and John's fork) that the '66U except B-1' has been dropped from the officially supported list. So, I just about have the nerve to flash the latest stable release for the 66U and I stumble in here and I'm a bit confused. bbunge and Pierino are you saying any B-1 HW should be flashed with the 68U firmware?

Mynpo, you have the original AC66U. You should use the Merlin firmware for the AC66U. There is another thread that discusses the differences between the versions.

Thank you both... bbunge, I'll be off to look for that thread. I haven't come across it yet.

Believe it or not I actually tried to read through the change logs to see if that was mentioned but I didn't get very far.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Last edited:
Hello,

Does anyone know what should be printed on the box to get the dual-core?

Just got at box where label said: "H/W Ver.: B1" but it is the 'old' one with single core, detachable antenna's , and 2 x USB 2.0, so not the ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 which is dual-core and says RT-AC68U when you log on telnet.

It has FW:
3.0.0.4.380_7378

admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type : Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1
processor : 0
cpu model : MIPS 74K V4.9
BogoMIPS : 299.82

thanks

Last edited:
Hello again,

OK , thanks for the prompt response!

I thought that the H/W version actually was the model variant regarding H/W update to new PCB i.e. dual core, but no then... :(
Hope no one else makes the same assumption.

README-merlin.txt states "RT-AC66U_B1 (use the RT-AC68U firmware)"
S0 on a side note, do not load merlin RT-AC68U on RT-AC66U H/W Ver. B1, but model B1 only then, haha :cool:

Last edited:
Hello
I bought my AC66UB1 on Ebay and I am a bit worried because there is no SN, on the back of the router, could someone help me to identify it please ?
Here is the informations i get with ssh command cat/proc/cpuinfo

Code:
root@unknown:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor    : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)

processor    : 0

BogoMIPS    : 1998.84

processor    : 1

BogoMIPS    : 1998.84

Features    : swp half thumb fastmult edsp

CPU implementer    : 0x41

CPU architecture: 7

CPU variant    : 0x3

CPU part    : 0xc09

CPU revision    : 0

Hardware    : Northstar Prototype

Revision    : 0000

Serial        : 0000000000000000

root@unknown:/tmp/home/root#

Thank you in advance
Cedric

@fced Your's is the newer model, the RT-AC66U_B1. It's the same as the RT-AC68U but in a different case.
Thank you for your answer
Do you mean i can install AC68U Tomato firmwares ? I would like to try other versions than freshtomatos (i think to Shibby/advanced tomato)..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!