What's new

Asus RT-AC66U - find out HW-Revision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for your answer
Do you mean i can install AC68U Tomato firmwares ? I would like to try other versions than freshtomatos (i think to Shibby/advanced tomato)..
You'll have to carefully check that whatever firmware you try and install supports the revision of CPU that your router has, the BCM4708C0. See here for the differences.

I think FreshTomato is the only actively maintained version of Tomato (there's a build specifically for the RT-AC66U_B1). AFAIK Shibby and Advanced Tomato haven't been updated since 2017 so I don't know whether they would be compatible with your router.

Last edited:
I would like to try other versions than freshtomatos (i think to Shibby/advanced tomato)

Freshtomato is the only up to date one. Shibby is old and doesn't support the CPU in AC66U B1. Advanced is Shibby with a skin on top. The same skin is available in Freshtomato. No need to go back to old tomato versions. Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin offer better performance, from experience.

Freshtomato is the only up to date one. Shibby is old and doesn't support the CPU in AC66U B1. Advanced is Shibby with a skin on top. The same skin is available in Freshtomato. No need to go back to old tomato versions. Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin offer better performance, from experience.
Hello,

I am aware about the fact they are old, and it is a skin on Shibby, but you know what it is said "it is in the old pot we de the best soup/tea", i know, not in this case... ;)

My problem is i can't send big files on my local ftp servers without disconnecting other devices (not me, the router), yelling childrens are hurting my ears when they get disconnected from PSN each time i send a file with ftp...

I could be wrong, but i notified the same problem with Asus Merlin (could it be something relative to AC66UB1 I don't know), and I never had this problem with my other routers/router firmwares (WRT54GL on Toastman/Teaman/TP-Link Archer C7 on DDWRT).

i asked on forum about ftp disconnecting devices and someone told me "this is why QOS exist", but since I got adsl, and now Fiber, i never had to enable QOS (everybody advised me against QOS - may be because old mips routers can't handle the cpu load).

Also, to get View details/transfer rates on freshtomato we have to enable/disable QOS, and also on my WRT54GL (not compatible with fiber), i never had to enable QOS for it... I have only a 100Mb fiber, but I wonder if it don't disturb CTF for >200 fiber (after all, enabling CTF make the router restart)

I wonder why the router fans stopped to work on their firmwares (Toastman, Teaman, Viteck, Shibby, Polarcloud, TomatoUSB), I know the answer, time, family, childrens, factory router firmwares started to be better year after year (damn, Am I so old ?)...
The only one remaining is Freshtomato, with its little flaws, don't get me wrong, i am a fan.

Anyway don't pay attention, i am just a good old days nostalgic tomato fan.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!