What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.372

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The thing is I want one of my dual wan's to have the remite ipadress and the other one to have my local isp adress

Anyone tried the latest release? Any brave souls out there?

3.0.0.4.372.31_0

When I updated, I think it caused some Natting issues with port forwarding. Teamviewer and Splashtop were not working properly. I will investigate some more.

Anyone tried the latest release? Any brave souls out there?

3.0.0.4.372.31_0

When I updated, I think it caused some Natting issues with port forwarding. Teamviewer and Splashtop were not working properly. I will investigate some more.

TeamViewer shouldn't require any port forwarding since it connects to TeamViewer's own server, allowing you to bypass the firewall.

Ive installed this firmware on dual wan but for some reason one firmware before was bettter on dual wan

Hi Guys, New member here. Finding lots if info and looking to learn more.

I bought an RT-AC66U as a replacement for a D-Link DIR655 which kept losing it's connection. Wish I'd read more forum posts before I bought it :)

I'm having a few issues with the firmware (gone from V270 to V372) and would appreciate any comments re these issues.

1. Router does not automatically reconnect after a reboot, is this normal? Pretty sure the D-Link reconnected after a reboot.

2. When set to my time zone, Perth +8 the time is set one hour ahead. I have to set it to Taipei +8 to get the correct time. (There is no daylight saving in Perth W.Australia)

3. Parental controls. Whilst 372 fixed the offset issue with these I find that whilst I can set the hours ok and save them, if I try to go back in to edit the times none of the light grey "on" times are shown again?? Seems to be I need to delete that control profile and recreate it with any changes I need. This seems very poor implementation.

4. Port forwarding does not seem to work for me. Windows Home Server 2011 is unable to set the router up for port forwarding using UPNP (enabled in firmware) and when I set the required ports manually they still appear closed to WHS and PFPortChecker program.

I have contacted ASUS with the first 3 issues but no real help, issues have simply been forwarded on.

Does anyone here have similar issues and are any of these resolved with Merlin's firmware?

Thanks for any help

Hmmm, do you use the ipv6 DHCP-PD option? In AP-Mode the ipv6 option in the router is disabled. I'm now testing it in router mode with ipv6 disabled and now my linkspeed also stays at 866.5.

Edit:
Nevermind... also with ipv6 disabled it dropped back to 175.5 after a while... the router is more stable though with ipv6 turned off with this firmware, with ipv6 DHCP-PD enabled the router restarts a lot, that doesn't happen with the .270 firmware, it does for all later firmwares including Merlins based on later firmwares.

I've now tested with copying large files from two machines to one machine on 5Ghz over a longer period of time and the linkspeed goes back to 866.5. So this isn't an issue.

I do still have issues with ipv6 dhcp-pd turned on which causes router restarts on newer firmwares.

Hi Guys, New member here. Finding lots if info and looking to learn more.

I bought an RT-AC66U as a replacement for a D-Link DIR655 which kept losing it's connection. Wish I'd read more forum posts before I bought it :)

I'm having a few issues with the firmware (gone from V270 to V372) and would appreciate any comments re these issues.

1. Router does not automatically reconnect after a reboot, is this normal? Pretty sure the D-Link reconnected after a reboot.

2. When set to my time zone, Perth +8 the time is set one hour ahead. I have to set it to Taipei +8 to get the correct time. (There is no daylight saving in Perth W.Australia)

3. Parental controls. Whilst 372 fixed the offset issue with these I find that whilst I can set the hours ok and save them, if I try to go back in to edit the times none of the light grey "on" times are shown again?? Seems to be I need to delete that control profile and recreate it with any changes I need. This seems very poor implementation.

4. Port forwarding does not seem to work for me. Windows Home Server 2011 is unable to set the router up for port forwarding using UPNP (enabled in firmware) and when I set the required ports manually they still appear closed to WHS and PFPortChecker program.

I have contacted ASUS with the first 3 issues but no real help, issues have simply been forwarded on.

Does anyone here have similar issues and are any of these resolved with Merlin's firmware?

Thanks for any help

1) It should reconnect automatically, unless there is something odd with your ISP.

2) There are numerous issues with timezones and DST in the firmware, partly caused by the router using old, outdated DST tables.

3) This is a compatibility issue with IE10. As a workaround you can use Chrome or Firefox (I only tested Chrome myself)

4) By default the router will refuse to forward ports below 1024 (as a security measure) through upnp. You can override that limitation by running the following commands over telnet:

Code:
nvram set upnp_min_port_int=1
nvram commit
reboot

After that, your router will accept to forward restricted ports (below 1024) through upnp.

Why on this firmware on dualwan if i connect to the pptp server I can connect to the network devices but I cant go to internet using send all traffic dame configurarion on a remote place works

Thanks for the super quick response

1) It should reconnect automatically, unless there is something odd with your ISP.

Interesting, I just got a reply from ASUS Tech Support

"If the router reboots it will not reconnect to the internet automatically.
This phenomenon is normal.
That need user to setup procedure again.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for understanding! "

May have to get back to them on this.

2) There are numerous issues with timezones and DST in the firmware, partly caused by the router using old, outdated DST tables.

Hopefully will be fixed in an upcoming firmware as has been reported to their tech team now.

3) This is a compatibility issue with IE10. As a workaround you can use Chrome or Firefox (I only tested Chrome myself)

True, Just tried it in Chrome and works fine, no go in IE10. Thanks.

4) By default the router will refuse to forward ports below 1024 (as a security measure) through upnp. You can override that limitation by running the following commands over telnet:...

This sounds promising. Just need to research Telnet and how to use it :)
I did however try to set the ports required by WHS 2011 (80, 443, 4125) manually and they still appeared closed to WHS? Perhaps I was doing something wrong.

Many thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Merlin you are the best

Telnet using Putty worked a treat once I enabled Telnet in the firmware. WHS 2011 set itself up with no issues and I can now remote access into the server.
Cheers :D

Smallnetbuilder have now retested with final .372 and confirmed what I did. It is slower than older firmware releases, particularly at mid to long distances! I knew this from the signal readings I was measuring. I think the best firmware may in fact be the Beta .372 which actually gave me the highest and best throughput.

There was some indication that the RT-AC66U was not FCC compliant (although a bit irrelevant for me as I am in the UK), but the changes may have been made in view of that (just guesswork by Smallnetbuilder)

They were forced to tweak the transmit levels down when the lawsuit from Netgear started.

I'm not sure if what Tim tested was really the latest 372 FW (he mentionned the git tag - unfortunately I never really keep track of these). The latest one implements implicit beamforming - I've had at least one user reporting BETTER performance at longer ranges since he switched to that firmware.

I'm not sure if what Tim tested was really the latest 372 FW (he mentionned the git tag - unfortunately I never really keep track of these). The latest one implements implicit beamforming - I've had at least one user reporting BETTER performance at longer ranges since he switched to that firmware.

The Beta had the beamforming option in it. Do you think it was non-functional in the Beta?

The Beta had the beamforming option in it. Do you think it was non-functional in the Beta?

No idea. Since it was a beta it's hard to say if it was still a work-in-progress or if that particular functionality was working and enabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!