What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U LAN/WAN buffering (?) problems.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blinkande_Pilen

New Around Here
Hi everyone!
I have a bit of a problem with my ASUS RT-AC66U in combination with streaming IPTV.

Scenario:
I have the latest and greatest Asuswrt_merklin release 3.0.0.4.270.26. (Great job RMerlin!).

I’m connected to a city network and my WAN is currently a 100Mbps.
This is what I use for all internet connectivity and also for streaming TV over a IPIP-tunnel.

The current configuration in the ASUS is that the LAN1-port has two VLANs (1 and 2) so that my IPTV-box can get a public IP-address as well as the ASUS WAN interface.
The reason for the two VLANs on LAN1 is also because I need to share the same physical cable for both IPTV (public) and LAN.

All network interfaces except for the WAN -> ASUS WAN is 1Gbps in my network.

The problem that I have is when I watch TV and someone in my household use internet for surfing I get loads of short macro blockings in the picture.
I’ve tried to use QoS to fix this and set the maximum download bitrate to 20Mbps just as a test but that failed too. It’s not really incoming bandwidth issue, probably more a buffering problem or something.

When I’ve tested this I noticed that one way to force the macro blockings to appear is streaming trailers from Apple or Vimeo. They happily push all the data they can and then the IPTV video is nuked big time. If I set one of my computers to 10Mbps the IPTV works just fine when I stream from Vimeo or other places.
But I can’t really set all my boxes to 10Mbps when I have a 1Gbps LAN.

I noticed that when I look at the traffic monitoring in the ASUS it doesn’t show the data going to the IPTV-box anywhere and that could possibly be because I have WNA IP-address on that box and this could also be the reason why the QoS doesn’t work. (?)

WAN (100 Mbps) -> ASUS RT-AC66U WAN -> ASUS LAN1 (VLAN 1 & 2). -> IPTV-box (WAN IP) VLAN1 ->Computers (LAN IP) VLAN2

Switch Netgear Prosafe Plus GS108E is a box that I have available if it could solve my problem, I haven’t found anything that would help thou.

I’m not sure how to solve this and I’ve tried all sorts of things but always with the same result (fail).
Somehow the traffic to the IPTV-box needs higher priority and/or get the ASUS to do some traffic shaping/control towards the WAN-interface (only for incoming).

So any recommendation is appreciated!

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!