What's new

Asus RT-AC66U possible upgrade - AC87U or R700P - Went for AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

José Ferreira

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Need a litte advice here ...

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U running Merlin fork (john9527) for some time.

I've some issues with wifi range, in 2.4Ghz band. I've a two floor house with 1400 sq ft each, there is some problems in the far places (normal ...).

Also, with some clients (laptops), i've drops in connection, mainly when dealing with streaming video (youtube, ...).

I have an opportunity to replace the AC66U with another one: an ASUS RT-87U or an Netgear Nighthawk R7000P.

Which of this one you would advice, considering the goal to increase wifi range and reduce connection drops (increase quality of connection)?

Thanks,
José Ferreira

I think most on this forum will eventually point you towards a more modern platform, most likely an Asus and Merlin firmware. I would look at a newer AC platform such as the AC86U, or possibly a mid-tier AX model like the AX58U, possibly the AX88U if budget allows.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The two router that i've the chance to acquire are both AC:
- Asus RT-AC87U (I misspelled it ...) - It's a dual band AC2400
- Netgear Nighthawk R7000P. - Dual Band AC2300

So the question is the same: which of those you would advice to replace my own (RT-AC66U), considering the goal to increase wifi range and reduce connection drops (increase quality of connection)?

J.Ferreira.

Roger that. Given your choices, I'd probably lean towards the 87U, mainly for its 4x4 5Ghz radio, versus the 3x3 5Ghz radio of the R7000p. Presuming amplification is similar between the two, the 87U should yield a bit more receive gain for 5Ghz clients, effectively producing a bit more usable bandwidth over distance. For 2.4Ghz, again presuming amplification levels are close, effective range should be almost identical, as they both use the same 3x3 BCM4360 chip.

If you go with the 87U, I would definitely do a full factory reset, then flash with the latest Merlin firmware, then reset again, then configure carefully from scratch.

Last edited:
Roger that. Given your choices, I'd probably lean towards the 87U, mainly for its 4x4 5Ghz radio, versus the 3x3 5Ghz radio of the R7000p. Presuming amplification is similar between the two, the 87U should yield a bit more receive gain for 5Ghz clients, effectively producing a bit more usable bandwidth over distance. For 2.4Ghz, again presuming amplification levels are close, effective range should be almost identical, as they both use the same 3x3 BCM4360 chip.

If you go with the 87U, I would definitely do a full factory reset, then flash with the latest Merlin firmware, then reset again, then configure carefully from scratch.

Thanks.
So, if i decide to upgrade from AC66U to AC87U, do you think i will get improvements in 2.4Ghz range ..?

I would say potentially, yes; perhaps not for clients with the tiniest/weakest radios (many smartphones and the cheaper laptops), but for clients with good chips and enough amplification, I'd say you'll probably notice a bit of a bump.

ok, thanks.
I've a deal for a used RT-AC87U for 90€ (100 $), i wonder if i should go for it or wait and go for an AX later on ...

Hi,
One last question ... ;)

I've seen a promo for the RT-AC86U (160€), i am considering it ... this should be better than RT-AC87U, no?

Thanks.

Yes, much better. Make sure it is a currently produced (2019/2020) version. :)

Both on the box and the router, there should be a label with that information.

Hi, just bought the AC86U last week, with 2020 as date of production ...
Been playing with it for some time, seems a good equipment, but i'm a bit disappointed, must say ...
And the main problem for me is the wifi range. I've lost some range (mainly in 2.4 Ghz), when comparing to AC66U (now working as AP only).

The AC86U is my main router and i intend to stay this way.

So, can you people give some hints on AC86U:
- How to increase Wifi range?
- Asus stock vs Merlin, whats best, considering mainly range?

Thanks very much.