What's new

Asus RT-AC66U rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dezzie

New Around Here
Hey,
I bought an Asus RT-AC66U a few weeks ago. It all went very smooth the first week and then it started rebooting. I've tried everything i've seen googling like installing merlin, try specific ports, disabling the UPNP but nothing seems to work. I've read about some guy who has had his router replaced by asus 3 times without it working. Is there any problems using multiple apple devices and PC's at the same time? Is there any computer programs that can make the router reboot? Any other thoughts about what I should try? I didnt do a factory reset after installing merlin, do i need to do this when i come from asus original firmware?

I've had no help from asus so far, hope u guys can help me.

EDIT;
LOGS
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[445]: version 1.9 started
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[445]: HTTP listening on port 58557
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[445]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Aug 8 13:31:30 rc_service: ntp 437:notify_rc restart_upnp
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[445]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[449]: version 1.9 started
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[449]: HTTP listening on port 42092
Aug 8 13:31:30 miniupnpd[449]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Aug 8 13:31:31 rc_service: ntp 437:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Aug 8 13:31:31 disk_monitor: Finish
Aug 8 13:31:31 disk monitor: be idle
Aug 8 13:31:57 crond[252]: time disparity of 537811 minutes detected

Last edited:
If you've already tried the latest merlin without joy, you might be looking at a bad router. Hopefully, you purchased through Amazon they have a pretty generous return policy.

I've owned a number of ASUS routers over the years, and never had the rebooting router problem. It's often associated with overheating. Do you have the router standing vertically? That might be worth trying. Also try blowing a fan directly on it to see if that helps. If so, I'd return it if you can.

If you can't return it and the fan helps, there are some wild looking fan options I've see people rig up. Like gluing a computer fan to the back of the router. Let's hope you don't have to go that route.

Good Luck!

Hey,
I bought an Asus RT-AC66U a few weeks ago. It all went very smooth the first week and then it started rebooting. I've tried everything i've seen googling like installing merlin, try specific ports, disabling the UPNP but nothing seems to work. I've read about some guy who has had his router replaced by asus 3 times without it working. Is there any problems using multiple apple devices and PC's at the same time? Is there any computer programs that can make the router reboot? Any other thoughts about what I should try? I didnt do a factory reset after installing merlin, do i need to do this when i come from asus original firmware?
Hi,

Could be a simple out of memory or a setting issue: As you did a "dirty update", you should do
1. a factory reset and configure a minimal setup (no Cloud stuff or Adaptive QoS) and test if reboot still happens
2. (if you want Cloud stuff or Adaptive QoS) add a thumb drive and configure a swap file (to overcome memory shortage)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Definitely do a factory reset. So many problems can be alleviated by doing this step. Clearing out nvram is so necessary when going through huge changes in code. Your very limited log shows absolutely nothing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!