What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Auth Method HTTPS Get Chrome NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Objects in Space

Regular Contributor
Using Version 108.0.5359.125 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.2364 64-bit, I am no longer able to access the router login due to invalid Cert in Chrome. Access works properly for the moment using Windows Edge 108.0.1462.46 version.

Router RT-AC68U Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_49703

I have setup the router to use HTTPS only for authentication method without issue in the past after installing the cert per the FAQ instructions at:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034294/

I not sure which version of Chrome the issue started to occur in Chrome.

Using https://router.asus.com:8443/ will result in Privacy error in Chrome:

Your connection is not private​

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from router.asus.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID

Anyone else experiencing this problem when setting in the Administration > System tab > Authentication Method > HTTPS?

For now, I have changed the Authentication Method to Both which allows either HTTP or HTTPS to be able to use Chrome for router login access via the 192.168.1.1 HTTP access.

Your likely seeing that error when using HTTPS because you haven't generated and installed the correct security certificate to your browser/computer.

[Wireless Router] How to enable HTTPS and create a certification on ASUS router?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034294

Edit to add: You may need to remove any existing security certificates associated with the router from your browser/computer and create and install a new one.

Could be the cert has expired and not renewed?

@bennor

Per my original post, I used the same FAQ instructions that you referenced.

I had performed a router reset (pressing and holding the reset button until the power light begins flashing) and setup the router settings.

As part of setting-up the router after reset, I removed the existing Cert from my PC and installed the newly generated Cert from the router. Unfortunately router reset and the new Cert did not resolve the problem.

@Ripshod

The Cert on my PC shows valid from : 5/4/2018 to 5/4/2028 and showing the Cert from the error of the Chrome browser shows the same dates.

Be aware, using Microsoft Edge browser does not encounter this problem with invalid cert when using the https://router.asus.com:8443/ URL.

@bennor

Per my original post, I used the same FAQ instructions that you referenced.

I had performed a router reset (pressing and holding the reset button until the power light begins flashing) and setup the router settings.

As part of setting-up the router after reset, I removed the existing Cert from my PC and installed the newly generated Cert from the router. Unfortunately router reset and the new Cert did not resolve the problem.

@Ripshod

The Cert on my PC shows valid from : 5/4/2018 to 5/4/2028 and showing the Cert from the error of the Chrome browser shows the same dates.

Be aware, using Microsoft Edge browser does not encounter this problem with invalid cert when using the https://router.asus.com:8443/ URL.
Ah. Forgot to mention my router's domain is the same as my DDNS. That works for me.

I forgot to mention that I used Method 1 instructions which I have used many times in the past successfully to setup and install the Cert from the FAQ document.

Off Topic:

When a new firmware is released for my router, I perform the following steps to avoid update/upgrade anomalies that some people have encountered during their firmware upgrades.

1. Download from ASUS website the firmware zip file and extract the firmware file.
  2. Login to the router and install the new downloaded firmware file.
  3. Login to router to confirm router upgrade completed successfully, then logout.
  4. Router reset (pressing and holding the reset button until the power light begins flashing) and setup the router settings including the new Cert to replace existing Cert on my PC.
  5. Save router settings in a new configuration file.

Those are good steps you do, but keep the following in mind.

The Reset button method has been known to not work for many.

The WPS Button method is usually superior.

For some stubborn hardware, all three methods (Reset, WPS, and GUI, including formatting the JFFS and checking the 'Initialize all...' box) are necessary to fully reset the router (and for some of those, even more drastic procedures too aka, the Nuclear Reset guide).

When I see a glitch in the matrix, er, router, re-flashing the same firmware in between resets is what often makes a router that was considered 'gone', work normally again. At the very least, it confirms a hardware problem.

Thank you for the tip about using WPS button for the router reset. I will use the WPS button reset method going forward with future firmware updates/upgrades.

In case it made a difference, I performed the WPS button reset and setup the router settings including the new Cert to replace existing Cert on my PC.

Chrome still gives the error NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID where as Microsoft Edge works when accessing using https://router.asus.com:8443/ URL.

Reported the issue via the Feedback in the router to ASUS.

Below is the reply I received from ASUS support reporting the HTTPS invalid Cert issue when using the Chrome browser.

I am trying to determine how ASUS support could misunderstand the issue I am reporting.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks for sending us feedback. If you forgot your router’s login username or password, you will not be able to retrieve your username and password because ASUS do not save/collect related information. To reconfigure your login credentials, you can reset your router manually by pressing the hardware button on your router.

Detailed information please check Method 2 in the following FAQ.

[Wireless Router] How to reset the router to factory default setting?

*If you do not find the support you are looking for in this email, please contact the local technical support for further assistance or send us another feedback to let us know the issue with more details.

*Note: Your router’s login credential is different from ASUS ID being used to register your ASUS product.

*Please do not reply to this email, as we are unable to respond from this address.

*If encounter any issue, please submit another Feedback form via Web UI or Router app.

Sincerely,

ASUS Team

Reported again the Cert issue with Chrome browser via the Feedback in the router to ASUS support using shorter and hopefully clearer explanations. Also I told ASUS support that I have regained access to the GUI via Microsoft Edge browser.

This time I reported the issue as:

Feedback problem type: Compatibility Issue
Feedback problem description: On OS or Application

I have the same issue with Chrome recently. Edge works fine, so I dumped Chrome and just use Edge on my windows machines.

Most of the time I use Safari on my iPad Pro and it continues to work just fine.

I have encountered the same problem.
On my Edge 110.0.1587.63 (64 bit)

It is definitely not because we did not install the certificate correctly since I have used the certificate for years and it is valid util year 2031.
It seems that the latest chromium (core of Chrome and Edge) does not accept the certificate generated by our router anymore.

A temporary solution: delete the certificate you installed on your PC. This would at least allow you to access your router through https.

Last edited:
I am not experiencing the NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID issue since I installed the latest RT-AC68U firmware 3.0.0.4.386.51255 update using Authentication Method HTTPS and I am using the same version of Edge that you listed in your post and the latest version of the Chrome browser.

I tested logging into the router using both Edge and Chrome browsers without the error on my Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.2604 64-bit system.

When a new firmware is released for my router, I perform the following steps to avoid update/upgrade anomalies that some people have encountered during their firmware upgrades.

1. Download from ASUS website the firmware zip file and extract the firmware file.
  2. Login to the router and install the new downloaded firmware file.
  3. Login to router to confirm router upgrade completed successfully, then logout.
  4. Reset the router using the WPS button method per the recommendation from L&LD forum user as follows.
  5. Power off the router.
  6. Hold the WPS button and Power On the router while continuing to hold the WPS button until the power LED starts flashing. Then release the WPS button.
  7. Setup the router settings including the new Cert to replace existing Cert on my PC.
  8. Save router settings in a new configuration file.

Chrome still gives the error NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID where as Microsoft Edge works when accessing using https://router.asus.com:8443/ URL.

Saw something about simalar issue with more recent Chrome builds - they have been getting much more strict on certs recently...

On Stackoverflow - good discussion on why this is happening on Chrome but not on MSFT's Chrome Fork...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!