What's new

Solved asus rt-ac68u (c1) won't flash to merlin firmware or asus stock firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoGi

Occasional Visitor
is there anyone who can help me.

I have an (old) asus rt-ac68u c1 with DD-WRT firmware (v3.0-r43718).
I would like to upgrade this to merlin firmware.

Only the router does not accept any firmware other than dd-wrt?

I am getting the message through both GUI and firmware restoration flashing successful

but then the router starts up and only the power light turn blue and after about a minute all the lights flash 1x time and router reboot again (looping)
and after that, I can only reset it via the wps button and then put it in recovery mode etc etc..

i don't want to be stuck with DD-WRT firmware and just use merlin firmware like all my other asus routers

I have already tried:
other DD-wrt versions
several old/new merlin firmware
several old/new asus stock firmware
WPS restore.
upgrade by GUI.
upgrade by asus firmware restoration.
erase nvram (telnet)

does someone have a idea or solution to fix this ?

Last edited:
How long are you leaving the firmware restoration tool to complete? It may take an hour or more.

You need to install an older firmware that will fit into DD-WRT's 32MB partition. But the firmware can't be too old otherwise it won't be compatible with the C1's BCM4709C0 processor. Try installing Merlin version 380.57 as that is the oldest (and smallest) version that supports your processor.

If that installs OK you can then update it to a later firmware version.

How long are you leaving the firmware restoration tool to complete? It may take an hour or more.
the restorationtool is within 2 á 3 min finshed succesfull and then i leave the router about a hour do his thing, and hope that after severaltimes (looping?) stop with reboot

You need to install an older firmware that will fit into DD-WRT's 32MB partition. But the firmware can't be too old otherwise it won't be compatible with the C1's BCM4709C0 processor. Try installing Merlin version 380.57 as that is the oldest (and smallest) version that supports your processor.

If that installs OK you can then update it to a later firmware version.

I just saw that on the front housing it says AC1900, but on the back of the router the Asus sticker show AC68u.

any idea where I can download that old merlin version ?

the oldest version I downloaded and used is RT-AC68U_378.55_0

I just saw that on the front housing it says AC1900, but on the back of the router the Asus sticker show AC68u.

any idea where I can download that old merlin version ?

the oldest version I downloaded and used is RT-AC68U_378.55_0

I have found and downloaded the merlin version.

unfortunately, after successful flash with merlin 380.57, still the same behavior :-(

Attachments

• 38075.JPG
    38075.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 218
You can also load my fork version 27E5 as the intermediate step. (See the sticky for 374 LTS)

Hi John,
I am not familiar with this version.
But I like to try all the possibilities :)
where can I download it? :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!