What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U different speeds from different tests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Should I set up the AC68U as a mesh router? I've read you shouldn't mix AC and AX routers.

See if the AX gives you sufficient coverage. Less is more when it comes to wifi, only add a node if you need it. You can mix them in Aimesh but it can impact the speed of the main router so it isn't ideal. So you may want to just set it up as a standalone AP (wired) or repeater (wireless). Or you could use it as a media bridge if you ever wanted to connect a wired device to your wireless.

No, don't set up the old router in AiMesh if you don't need to. First, test/try the new router by itself and only proceed accordingly from there.

There is no difference between wireless backhaul AiMesh mode and Repeater. Both will cripple your speeds by 50% or more.

Simply using the RT-AC68U with the newer router will decrease the new router's performance. If you have wired-capable clients at far distance from the main router, I would suggest you use Media Bridge mode with them instead.

See the links I provided to you before for Media Bridge mode and AiMesh = Repeater mode too.

No, don't set up the old router in AiMesh if you don't need to. First, test/try the new router by itself and only proceed accordingly from there.

There is no difference between wireless backhaul AiMesh mode and Repeater. Both will cripple your speeds by 50% or more.

Simply using the RT-AC68U with the newer router will decrease the new router's performance. If you have wired-capable clients at far distance from the main router, I would suggest you use Media Bridge mode with them instead.

See the links I provided to you before for Media Bridge mode and AiMesh = Repeater mode too.

Ok. Thanks for your guidance.

Got the GT-AX6000 and configured it with latest Merlin (388.2_2). Big upgrade from AC68U (7 years ago), needed to. Seems to be running smooth. Getting 50Mbps at other end of house on tablet.