What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U different speeds from different tests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
I purchased 500mbps plan (Spectrum)
I am wire connected using PC
When I run speedtest.net from browser it shows ~575mbps:
When I run "Internet Speed" from Adaptive QoS (not using) it shows ~183mbps
When I run spdMerlin it shows ~300mbps
see attached

Why are they different download speeds (upload speed is about the same) and which is correct? Why when I run the test through router (browser is running through router too) do I get lower download speeds?

speed test dot net.png
QoS.png
spdMerlin.png

Last edited:
This is a limitation of the RT-AC68U (and similar models). The built-in speed test is restricted by the router's weak CPU and is therefore not accurate. The correct result would be from an ethernet connected LAN PC.

This is a limitation of the RT-AC68U (and similar models). The built-in speed test is restricted by the router's weak CPU and is therefore not accurate. The correct result would be from an ethernet connected LAN PC.

Ok great thanks. That's is what I found out in another forum but wanted to confirm. Do you know if the ASUS RT-AX88U Pro (AX6000) (2.0ghz processor) would perform better (500mbps)? Is there a way to tell which router can handle the throughput? Seems like router (RT-AC68U) is limiting potential speed from ISP. I just checked my wired PC and it's only getting 200-300mbps with 2gpbs NIC. I guess router limits that as well. What's the point of getting 500mbps ISP connection if router limits? Spectrum does offer AX router (Spectrum SAXV1V1S WiFi 6 Router) for $5 per month but reviews are awful. But maybe that would allow 500mpbs throughput?

Last edited:
The RT-AC68U can achieve >900 Mbps throughput in certain configurations. Your own test showed 579Mps. When I used my RT-AC68U I could max out my 660Mbps ISP connection. The problem comes when you enable certain features that disable hardware acceleration (e.g. QoS) or do packet inspection, like AiProtection.

If you want to enable those features without reducing the throughput below 500Mbps you'll need one of the current ax-class of routers. So that's something like the RT-AX68U/86S/86U, GT-AX6000, etc. Raw CPU speed isn't so much of a factor on those models because they use a different hardware platform to achieve their throughput. Where CPU speed would still be a factor is if you were using the router's built-in VPN.

Last edited:
The RT-AC68U can achieve >900 Mbps throughput in certain configurations. Your own test showed 579Mps. When I used my RT-AC68U I could max out my 660Mbps ISP connection. The problem comes when you enable certain features that disable hardware acceleration (e.g. QoS) or do packet inspection, like AiProtection.

If you want to enable those features without reducing the throughput below 500Mbps you'll need one of the current ax-class of routers that use a completely different hardware platform. So that's something like the RT-AX68U/86S/86U, GT-AX6000, etc.

the 579Mps was speedtest.net which in my understanding is a browser using their cpu? Where do I enable hardware acceleration on the router? I don't use QoS or AiProtection so I should be getting better throughput? I do have Diversion and Skynet running, should I disable those? What settings should I look at? Thanks!

Sorry, I'm confused. Can you explain this apparent contradiction.

Hardware (NAT) acceleration should be an option under LAN - Switch Control.

Ok yes, here are the settings:
Jumbo Frame: disable
NAT Acceleration: Auto CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) and FA (Flow Acceleration) accelerator are enabled.
Spanning-Tree Protocol: Enable

Are there other settings I should check to increase throughput?

That should be all you need. I don't know why your PC only got 200-300Mbps when your other(?) PC got 579Mbps. That's a PC issue.

That should be all you need. I don't know why your PC only got 200-300Mbps when your other(?) PC got 579Mbps. That's a PC issue.

Same PC but 579Mbps was achieved through browser on speedtest.net. The 200-300Mbps was using Windows app "Net Speed Meter". Seems like speetest.net is measuring ISP speed and "Net Speed Meter" is measuring NIC>router>ISP speed? Is there a better/best way to test throughput on devices? It seems like speedtest.net and the like give ISP rating but not true client rating.

Interestingly I checked the "clients" in the router and my Galaxy A8 tablet which is right next to router is running 5G @ 433Mbps. So I guess the throughput is there wirelessly but not wired?

Last edited:
Interestingly I checked the "clients" in the router and my Galaxy A8 tablet which is right next to router is running 5G @ 433Mbps. So I guess the throughput is there wirelessly but not wired?

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll trust it's configured right since I am seeing some WiFi devices with higher throughput.

One last question. As I stated above, my Galaxy A8 tablet which is right next to router is running 5G @ 433Mbps according the router client report. But when I run speedtest.net on browser through it the result is 161Mbps. Why not ~400Mbps? Is that a function of the cpu in the tablet (probably)?

One last question. As I stated above, my Galaxy A8 tablet which is right next to router is running 5G @ 433Mbps according the router client report. But when I run speedtest.net on browser through it the result is 161Mbps. Why not ~400Mbps? Is that a function of the cpu in the tablet (probably)?
Mobile devices often don't have a CPU powerful enough to provide a meaningful result, or they are optimised for power efficiency rather than a sustained maximum throughput. Compare the results to those of a wireless laptop that's plugged into the mains.

A 433 wifi link speed is good for about 250 to 300 actual throughput, that is a limitation of how wifi works. Then on top of that your tablet probably cannot process that much data that fast so your speed is further reduced. 160 megs is more than you'll ever use on a tablet anyway.

Wireless throughout on the AC68U is also limited, it depends on what features you have enabled but it will often be lower than what a wired device can achieve. It is a very old router and your 500M plan is pushing its limits on wired, much less wireless. In reality 500M is starting to hit the max you can expect from a typical AC wireless client anyway.

Don't install random unknown desktop apps, who knows what it is doing. Speedtest.net is very accurate and reliable and can be used from pretty much any device.

Long story short, you are getting plenty of speed. If you feel the need to be able to max out your ISP speed on both wired and wifi you should consider upgrading to a router supporting AX or newer wifi (assuming you have devices with support for wifi 6 or later).

Mobile devices often don't have a CPU powerful enough to provide a meaningful result, or they are optimised for power efficiency rather than a sustained maximum throughput. Compare the results to those of a wireless laptop that's plugged into the mains.

Thanks for all your help Colin!

A 433 wifi link speed is good for about 250 to 300 actual throughput, that is a limitation of how wifi works. Then on top of that your tablet probably cannot process that much data that fast so your speed is further reduced. 160 megs is more than you'll ever use on a tablet anyway.

Wireless throughout on the AC68U is also limited, it depends on what features you have enabled but it will often be lower than what a wired device can achieve. It is a very old router and your 500M plan is pushing its limits on wired, much less wireless. In reality 500M is starting to hit the max you can expect from a typical AC wireless client anyway.

Don't install random unknown desktop apps, who knows what it is doing. Speedtest.net is very accurate and reliable and can be used from pretty much any device.

Long story short, you are getting plenty of speed. If you feel the need to be able to max out your ISP speed on both wired and wifi you should consider upgrading to a router supporting AX or newer wifi (assuming you have devices with support for wifi 6 or later).

Thanks for the reply. That is my dilemma, should I upgrade router to AX or get extender (I have 2 story 3500 sq ft home). I could get AX router and extend it with the AC68U. All devices seem to be running fine but the tech (non-tech) guy in me says the router should be pushing near ISP speeds. Maybe that's not realistic as you say.

Thanks for the reply. That is my dilemma, should I upgrade router to AX or get extender (I have 2 story 3500 sq ft home). I could get AX router and extend it with the AC68U. All devices seem to be running fine but the tech (non-tech) guy in me says the router should be pushing near ISP speeds. Maybe that's not realistic as you say. Or I guess it is pushing near 500Mbps but the devices (no AX) can't process that anyway so there's no point in upgrading? The only benefit would be greater range?
Is there a ratio of router output to device capability? Something like router output 500Mbps/client 100Mbps, router output 1Gbps/client 200Mbps. Or is the client's ability to receive static?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend an 'extender' unless you absolutely need it. (And, certainly not before you've tried the suggestions below).

First, I would suggest the RT-AX68U, GT-AX6000, or RT-AX88U Pro (the latter, only if cheaper in your area and you are prepared to test and return it if not stable in your setup).

Ideally placed, any of the above routers should give you a significant upgrade to your network and better match your current ISP speeds. The GT-AX6000 is usually the least expensive option (when on sale) and will offer you the highest performance for the least cost. Backed up by known stability and reliability (for the past year or so). To me, the RT-AX88U Pro is unknown. It is still in its teething phase. But it may become a good/great Asus/RMerlin-powered router too (in a few month's time). The RT-AX68U is the minimum I would recommend for your network and current ISP speeds, and will also greatly increase your network's performance with higher throughput and lower latency throughout.

With any of these routers, you will have access to the latest firmware level (3.0.0.6.xxx) and therefore expect support for a good long time.

You may also see that an extender is not needed in your home either with these models. Provided you optimally place it and set it up properly too.

The links below may be helpful to get your network running smoothly and as stable as possible.

I wouldn't recommend an 'extender' unless you absolutely need it. (And, certainly not before you've tried the suggestions below).

First, I would suggest the RT-AX68U, GT-AX6000, or RT-AX88U Pro (the latter, only if cheaper in your area and you are prepared to test and return it if not stable in your setup).

Ideally placed, any of the above routers should give you a significant upgrade to your network and better match your current ISP speeds. The GT-AX6000 is usually the least expensive option (when on sale) and will offer you the highest performance for the least cost. Backed up by known stability and reliability (for the past year or so). To me, the RT-AX88U Pro is unknown. It is still in its teething phase. But it may become a good/great Asus/RMerlin-powered router too (in a few month's time). The RT-AX68U is the minimum I would recommend for your network and current ISP speeds, and will also greatly increase your network's performance with higher throughput and lower latency throughout.

With any of these routers, you will have access to the latest firmware level (3.0.0.6.xxx) and therefore expect support for a good long time.

You may also see that an extender is not needed in your home either with these models. Provided you optimally place it and set it up properly too.

The links below may be helpful to get your network running smoothly and as stable as possible.

Thank you for the input, that helps greatly. I purchased the GT-AX6000 and was able to get a great deal on it.

Last edited: