What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.583

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vikesfan80

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.583
(Formal released version of 3.0.0.4.374.573)
Modified:
1. Modified AiDisk setup wizard to prevent a potential security issue.
2. Modified USB LED behavior.
3. Improved openVPN performance.

Fixes:
1. Fixed some UI issues.
2. Fixed parental control schedule issues.
3. Fixed openVPN related issues.
4. Fixed CFE nvram check issue.

Additions:
1. Add support USB hub.
2. Add wireless watchdog.

3.0.0.4.374.573 caused my xbox 360 xbox to loose wifi for a few seconds every 20 minutes. Just enough to kill netflix and disconnect the account... so i reverted to 3.0.0.4.374.542
If there are no changes from 573 to 583 i will sit this one out and wait for the next release.

Last edited:
I loaded .573 on Saturday and its been the most stable f/w release to date. This is just the formal release of the .573 beta so I don't think its necessary to update.

I am running .573 since I bought AC68U on 1/11. There is no issue but I will update to the official .583 tonight. Thank you for posting the update.

Share browsing on the LAN seems to be fixed in this new version. At least the firewall rules preventing it from working properly were gone when I checked.

merlin would you be integrating the usb hub function into your firmware for RT-AC68u?

In due time. The source is not out yet.

It's working fine and I have no issue connecting using both 5Ghz for 802.11AC and 2.4Ghz for 802.11N. The Time Machine is working too on the USB 2.0 port. I have not tried using the USB 3.0 port yet.

Are these updates reversible? So if i wanted to try this new firmware and it caused issues, would i just upload the older firmware? Does this go for the merlin firmware too?

Are these updates reversible? So if i wanted to try this new firmware and it caused issues, would i just upload the older firmware? Does this go for the merlin firmware too?

yes, but it is desirable versions to be close

yes, but it is desirable versions to be close

The AC68U is a very robust router as far as firmware upgrade/downgrade is concerned. It is very hard to brick this router. So you can experiment with whatever firmware version you want including custom firmware such as Merlin's. The firmware versions don't have to be close either. The only thing you have to be aware of is that in most instances you will need to do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade/downgrade and redo your configuration manually to what you had before the upgrade/downgrade.

Still after a couple days need to reboot router. The speed diminishes till no one can get on until you reboot the router. I noticed the 66u I have the upload side had slowed to .20 meg the download was still flying. Next day it all craped out. On both have the latest firmware for 68 and 66.

Still after a couple days need to reboot router. The speed diminishes till no one can get on until you reboot the router. I noticed the 66u I have the upload side had slowed to .20 meg the download was still flying. Next day it all craped out. On both have the latest firmware for 68 and 66.

Not seeing that here (although I still have .573 beta loaded).

The untold changes by Asus (for curious minded folks) in 374.583 ;)

Now when you click on Logout, the web server sets an internal flag that will force it to re-ask you to enter your username/password if you immediately try to access a router webpage without first closing down your browser. This was a change that had been often asked by users, and definitely a good security improvement.

Looks like the URL filter and Keyword Filter no longer force hardware acceleration to be disabled. I haven't tested it, just deducing it from the changes I saw in the code. They also improved the way blocking was made with these two features (connections are now reset rather than just dropped).

Quite a few changes were made to VPNClient, so it might work better for some.

Some of the improvements I made to the OpenVPN support have been integrated by Asus. Exported ovpn configs should be more reliable now (less likely to export a custom CA with an invalid client cert now, due to additional validation).

They also applied the fix that should make network shares once again browsable on your LAN.

The source code also hints at more goodies to come in the future. I'll leave that discovery exercise to the reader however ;)

Dual Wan over 4G seems to be back in 583

Dual wan seems to be working again in 583... Recognized my USB clearspot and connected and got an ip address and seems to be using it...

New to this forum. Found it after trying one on vip.asus.com and it looks like much better activity here so HELLO. I have had the 68U for about 1 month now.

Loaded 583 after trying to correct what seemed like a broken client status and that still looks broken. Have also been experiencing intermittent dropouts of 2.4GHz main and guest signals. I believe I confirmed this both by lost signals on a laptop and Android phone as well as using a wifi signal app on my phone. No such problems before this change.

RMerlin mentions;
"Now when you click on Logout, the web server sets an internal flag that will force it to re-ask you to enter your username/password if you immediately try to access a router webpage without first closing down your browser. This was a change that had been often asked by users, and definitely a good security improvement."

I have not experienced this "FIX". Could that be due to not reseting factory defaults after an update?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!