What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK

I just had an internet failure but not a intranet failure.
I rebooted the router.

When reboot was completed the Internet was not evident.
After waiting a few minutes the Internet connection was established.
I would say that my problem is the ISP Internet connection and NOT a router fault.

John

For what it's worth on my 88U I have been having tons of internet disconnects and wifi goes down with it intermittedly. Last night while I slept network went down ~15 times. I had zero issues before this firmware. Internet goes down and wifi flicks off and back on if you will. Total downtime of 2-3 minutes each time but it's wreaking havoc on my network.

I realize this thread is about 68U but I figure they probably share some similarities in firmware between the two routers. I 100% believe whatever issue I am having is related to this firmware.

I have reached out to Asus, to no avail. Heres to hoping they identify this as a issue and release a fix ASAP.

EDIT: Reading release notes the last note is something about a stand by mode. I am wondering if a bug in that particular part of code is causing router to go into a "standby mode" only to realize it shouldn't be? I can't find anything about the standby mode mentioned in settings?

For what it's worth on my 88U I have been having tons of internet disconnects and wifi goes down with it intermittedly. Last night while I slept network went down ~15 times. I had zero issues before this firmware. Internet goes down and wifi flicks off and back on if you will. Total downtime of 2-3 minutes each time but it's wreaking havoc on my network.

I realize this thread is about 68U but I figure they probably share some similarities in firmware between the two routers. I 100% believe whatever issue I am having is related to this firmware.

I have reached out to Asus, to no avail. Heres to hoping they identify this as a issue and release a fix ASAP.

EDIT: Reading release notes the last note is something about a stand by mode. I am wondering if a bug in that particular part of code is causing router to go into a "standby mode" only to realize it shouldn't be? I can't find anything about the standby mode mentioned in settings?
Do the network and / or wireless outages cause a system log entry?

With my upgrade RT-AC68U I do not notice or suffer any outages.
Besides my wireless "general" settings most of the router is pretty default, with WAN type Automatic IP. The most exotic is a USB stick in the USB 2.0 port for in house file transfers.

Was it also present is ASUSWRT fw? I could only see reports from merlin based fw.
Merlin users were the first to notice and probably only a few stock user are this 'firmware aware' :)
But also stock firmware is impacted, reports are there.

I am currently experiencing Internet failure at about 1 hour intervals.
I checked with ISP and the signal data for the cable modem is withing specifications
I have had two failure since the call, the cable modem remains within spec.

I would like to way out on a limb and say it appears to be a FW issue.

John

I am currently experiencing Internet failure at about 1 hour intervals.
I checked with ISP and the signal data for the cable modem is withing specifications
I have had two failure since the call, the cable modem remains within spec.

I would like to way out on a limb and say it appears to be a FW issue.

John

Every symptom mine exhibited was firmware. I finally went back to stable release prior to this one. Issues are gone so [emoji848] Mine wasn't making it a full hour tho. Maybe 15-30 minutes. But completely random disconnects none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using this firmware for days on my 3100 and have not had a single issue no slow downs and no disconnects.

ASUS Support sent me a prior version of FW and a restoration tool.
The details are in an email that is restricted communication and I am prevented from posting any details.
ASUS has not admitted there is a problem, I did not ask.
However we have established significant doubt.

When I have successfully downgraded my FW and restored functionality I will ask whether I can post the detail.
The instructions have assumed close to zero technical expertise.

John

One thing I noticed when updating to this firmware on my RT-AC5300 was that MU-MIMO was enabled by default. I'm not certain if it was enabled by default with the previous version (not sure if it applies to your model). I was getting some odd behavior with a few wireless devices so I disabled MU-MIMO and they seem to be better (for the time being anyway).

Installed 3.0.0.4.380_7266-g6439257 3 days ago on my 87U and it has been rock solid. Previous version suffered from frequent crashes and reboots

Thank you for the report.
That is the version, I have installed.
Yesterday failed every hour or so.
Stayed up all last night and is still running no Internet drops.

When you cannot predict the outcome, you do not understand the problem.
It appears that I do not understand what is happening so I am not going to try to fix it.

Any suggestions.

It appears that the cable internet modem is happy with things.
At least every time I check.

John

Thank you for the report.
That is the version, I have installed.
Yesterday failed every hour or so.
Stayed up all last night and is still running no Internet drops.

When you cannot predict the outcome, you do not understand the problem.
It appears that I do not understand what is happening so I am not going to try to fix it.

Any suggestions.

It appears that the cable internet modem is happy with things.
At least every time I check.

John

Down grade OS if it's still giving you problems; what I had to do. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that potentially malfunctioning FW has not failed for 48 hours.

I will wait until it start failing again to down grade the FW.
It is likely that I am not the only one to complain to ASUS and I provided them this thread.

This is a genuine question, Do you think ASUS understands there is problem they need to fix.
If someone buys a new router and as a matter of routine upgrades the FW, there is the likelihood a problem which woud not make the purchaser happy.

I asked the question because D-Link has abandoned two of their products which why I no longer buy D-Link anything.

John

The problem is that potentially malfunctioning FW has not failed for 48 hours.

I will wait until it start failing again to down grade the FW.
It is likely that I am not the only one to complain to ASUS and I provided them this thread.

This is a genuine question, Do you think ASUS understands there is problem they need to fix.
If someone buys a new router and as a matter of routine upgrades the FW, there is the likelihood a problem which woud not make the purchaser happy.

I asked the question because D-Link has abandoned two of their products which why I no longer buy D-Link anything.

John
I am lost for what exact your questions are.
Be sure any firmware version (old, recent and future) has issues.
To see or not see an issue is mostly a matter of a magic combination out of the few thousand (or more) possible personal setting combinations one can make for his router.
I cannot find, or overlooked the previous firmware version of your router, nor did you state how often you already upgraded the firmware the past time.
A very generic solution for random issues is to revert the router to Factory defaults and manual make all your personal setting changes again. You may complain that is not nice or should not be the case, it is anyhow how the practical world proved.
Another very generic advise is to start with a minimal required configuration that only allows you Internet access, thoroughly test this setup before you go on with more exotic settings and features.

Anyone else using the latest version of Chrome on a Windows 10 x64 box? I notice that the WebUI has a large gap when using this particular version of Chrome. It wasn't present prior to flashing 7266 though. Works fine in IE and Edge and even with Chrome on a Mac. Very odd indeed, most likely a Chrome issue?

This happens on multiple computers BTW, not just one :D Also happening in several menus, including traffic analyzer and wireless settings.

upload_2017-2-24_12-50-18.png

i have this same bug in chrome

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!