What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7378

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A factory reset is a good idea if your coming from older firmware and reconfigure manually.

Is there a new Wi-Fi driver in .7378? Or is it the same as the previous firmware releases?

I assume WPS in my router was set to ON after the upgrade to 7266.
I didn't check that one after the upgrade and I did not revert to factory defaults after the upgrades to 7266 and later on 7378, otherwise I would have noticed because this setting is in my list of changes from default.
When pointed out here I have set it to OFF and it stayed OFF so far, I cannot imagine it will randomly be enabled.

I'm on a RT-AC66U who upgraded from .4180 to .7378 and I noticed the WPS toggled to ON as well after the upgrade. I don't think it's just a .7266 issue.

My 2 cents.

AC66U_B1 running the firmware for AC68U .7378, six days up with no issues. Yes, the WPS was turned on after upgrade. Airtime Fairness turned off and 2.4 set to 20 mhz.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Upgraded our RT-AC68U to .7378 today with no problems. Thought it was prudent considering the security fixes. Simply unmounted USB, updated firmware, rebooted router using GUI, remounted USB and everything looks good. Even the WPS setting stayed OFF, so not sure about WPS defaulting to ON with just a reboot as others I think have reported.

Had 54 days on .7266 with no issues. Yes, we had to reset WPS to OFF because it did default to ON after the .7266 upgrade. That was not totally unexpected since we did a factory reset on .7266, so a different default could be expected.

Hope we have as good of luck with .7378 as we did .7266. Time will tell :)

All good for me with 7378 as well. I flashed using the auto-update feature and did not reset to factory defaults. Nothing was mysteriously enabled after the update, and totally stable.

Fought a randomly rebooting RT-AC66U B1 for two weeks. Reboots randomly in less than 24 hours. 2 & 5 ghz Wireless is off and so is almost every option. Thanks for your post, because I know I can upgrade firmware to .7378 even though ASUS doesn't list the upgrade for the AC66U B1. Did not do a factory reset. Hope this works. Will report back after a few days if stability success.
UPDATE #1: ASUS .7378 firmware still had random reboot within 20 minutes of install. CHANGED TO MERLIN 380.65. we shall see how that works.
UPDATE #2 ( 4/23/17): No random reboots for more than two days since Update to Merlin 380.65 firmware. YEAH! Did not do a factory reset when installing because updated to Merlin remotely.
UPDATE#3 Went four days without a random reboot, but random reboot happened today. Bummer. Will do a factory reset and see if that helps.
UPDATE#4 (4/28/17) With Merlin 380.65 installed, I installed Merlin 380.65 firmware after which I did factory reset and manually reentered all configuration parameters. Also, at same time, installed an APC battery backup UPS just for the router and cable modem. Now system log shows various activities during day where, before, none would show, it would just random reboot.
UPDATE#5 (5/9/2017) Problem solved. Thirteen days and no random reboots after procedure in Update#4. Factory reset is important! Thanks to all for suggestions.
UPDATE #6(6/20/2017) More than 60 days with no issues..no reboots or any other problems.

Likely solution is:

1.) install Merlin 380.65;
2.) do factory reset and re-enter parameters
3.)install a UPS battery backup for cable modem and router

Last edited:
[EUROPEAN UNION RELATED]

After updating to this firmware, is anyone among the Europeans still experiencing the disconnections / reboots / connection hiccups caused by the automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive introduced with the previous release (3.0.0.4.380.7266)?

I'm stuck to 3.0.0.4.380.4164 (december 2016) because I'm afraid to update...

[EUROPEAN UNION RELATED]

After updating to this firmware, is anyone among the Europeans still experiencing the disconnections / reboots / connection hiccups caused by the automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive introduced with the previous release (3.0.0.4.380.7266)?

You appear to have concluded that 1. there is an broad issue with disconnections/reboots/hiccups and 2. Those are linked to or a consequence of this implementation.

I haven't experienced any of these issues while running the latest fw (alpha, beta and rs). And I don't find direct evidence supporting the linkage.

And since the activation must be EU limited, why don't you just change this country setting is the fw?

You appear to have concluded that 1. there is an broad issue with disconnections/reboots/hiccups and 2. Those are linked to or a consequence of this implementation.

I haven't experienced any of these issues while running the latest fw (alpha, beta and rs). And I don't find direct evidence supporting the linkage.

And since the activation must be EU limited, why don't you just change this country setting is the fw?

I didn't want to conclude anything, I only cut the whole discussion short to make myself more clear...

I wasn't aware that it was possible to switch country in the settings, but only to switch language. I must have read about it when I tried to avoid the EU regulations about the signal WiFi networks' signal strength, but it looks like that leak was fixed 2-3 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong).

I didn't want to conclude anything, I only cut the whole discussion short to make myself more clear...

I wasn't aware that it was possible to switch country in the settings, but only to switch language. I must have read about it when I tried to avoid the EU regulations about the signal WiFi networks' signal strength, but it looks like that leak was fixed 2-3 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong).
US has more strict rules on output :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-all-region-channels-max-tx-power-how-to.19262/

I just got this same version (380.7378) for my RT-AC56R. What's nice is since the previous version, I can now directly upload and install from the Asus site rather than having to do it manually. Installation went smoothly and the router works the same as it always has..PERFECT!

I encounter random reboots on this (every 2-3 days). Any ideas how to fix it?
do you use AIProtection send mail function ?

I was running 7266 in the AP mode without much issues.
After updating the firmware to the current version 7378, wifi was a bit flaky even after a few reboots. My NestCam was not able to keep the connection reliably to the guest wifi connection.

The issues continued for a couple days, I was going to do the factory reset, but decided to do a manual power cycle (unplug the power for about a minute, plug it back in)
The wifi has been working great as before since the power cycle.

So you might want to try this first before the firmware factory reset or rollback to older builds.

[EUROPEAN UNION RELATED]

Me and my router are in Europe and of European origin.
The router never suffered disconnections / reboots / connection hiccups.
Not with the current version 7378 and not with previous versions.

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7378
Security fixed
- Fixed CVE-2017-5891.
- Fixed CVE-2017-5892.
- Fixed CVE-2017-6547.
- Fixed CVE-2017-6549.
- Fixed CVE-2017-6548.
- Added log message for brute force attack.

Bug fixed
- Fixed bandwidth limiter bugs.
- Fixed UI issue when using Chrome 56.
- Fixed smart sync bugs.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_30043807378.ZIP

If any of you are curious like I was to know what those security fixes are, check it out:

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-5891#vulnDescriptionTitle

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-5892#vulnDescriptionTitle

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-6547#vulnDescriptionTitle

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-6549#vulnDescriptionTitle

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-6548#vulnDescriptionTitle

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!