What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7743

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Link from Windows 8/8.1 64bit so far https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/
Code:
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7743
Security fixed
- Fixed CVE-2017-8828 (XSS vulnerability special for Yair Amit’s https://www.linkedin.com/in/yairamit/ contribution)
- Fixed CVE-2017-5892 (JSONP Information Disclosure)
- Fixed CVE-2017-7494 (Samba remote code execution vulnerability)
- Improved brute-force protection for SSH, Telnet connection.

Bug fixed
- Fixed URL filter, keyword filter, network filter time related issue.
- Fixed USB Modem/ Tethering UI issue.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 057f361e0431ed56c7b9ca876c773269

ASUS engineering certainly needs to be more responsible. They really need a better regression test so that frequent updates do not break people's life. Since I upgraded to 7743, my LAN devices come on and off, causing printers (both printers behave the same way) not to print -- I have to reboot the router for printers to show up as online again.

I am going to go back to a much earlier stable version. I think ASUS should release much fewer updates each year and spend time testing., otherwise users are using beta quality product all the time.

hey really need a better regression test so that frequent updates do not break people's life. Since I upgraded to 7743, my LAN devices come on and off, causing printers (both printers behave the same way) not to print -- I have to reboot the router for printers to show up as online again.

Disable Airtime Fairness.

Disable Airtime Fairness.

Thanks Rmerlin. Tried that. Now with Airtime disabled. Still my printers toggle between online and offline randomly. This router has good wifi coverage, but not a good/reliable router. I wonder if I should use it simply as an access point and put a real router in front of it.

Thanks Rmerlin. Tried that. Now with Airtime disabled. Still my printers toggle between online and offline randomly. This router has good wifi coverage, but not a good/reliable router. I wonder if I should use it simply as an access point and put a real router in front of it.

Update: after downgrade to version 7266, things seem to have gone back to normal. Looks like ASUS engineers fixed a lot of bugs by introducing a lot more - why do companies do this?

I would refuse to upgrade to any newer versions for quite a while, and ignore that annoying flashing orange light reminder.

Did you disable airtime fairness for both 2.4 and 5 ghz?

If you want stability go to John's fork of Merlin. Not as doesn't have all the features of newer firmware but it works! I have two AC68U's in small business use that work fine!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I was having wireless issues and disabling airtime fairness helped. I only use it as an AP so not sure about the other issues.

Firmware 7743 is still stable for me, with excellent wireless behaviour at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
I noticed the first radar log entry after I put the router in service December last year, DFS seems to do something (5 GHz auto on channel 100):

Code:
Jun 24 15:14:18 kernel: SKIPPED false Type 1 Radar Detection. min_pw=16 pw_delta=0 pri=59889 fm_min=0 fm_max=0 nconsecq_pulses=3. Time from last detection = 627130, = 10452min 10sec. Detected pulse index: 0

Perhaps this was added before this firmware version but I noticed something new on the firmware upgrade page.

Anyone know what this is for?

Capture.JPG

Perhaps this was added before this firmware version but I noticed something new on the firmware upgrade page.

Anyone know what this is for?

View attachment 9651

These are the signatures used by the Trend Micro engine to identify traffic type, for the Traffic Analyzer page and Adaptive QoS.

Firmware 7743 is still stable for me, with excellent wireless behaviour at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
I noticed the first radar log entry after I put the router in service December last year, DFS seems to do something (5 GHz auto on channel 100):

Code:
Jun 24 15:14:18 kernel: SKIPPED false Type 1 Radar Detection. min_pw=16 pw_delta=0 pri=59889 fm_min=0 fm_max=0 nconsecq_pulses=3. Time from last detection = 627130, = 10452min 10sec. Detected pulse index: 0

The AC68U supports DFS? I'm on 7743 and don't see a channel 100 option.

I have tried Merlin's latest beta firmware based on 7743 and the issue previously reported still occurs: wireless and wired speed are capped to 250 Mbps, so there's definitely something changed in Asus' code, at least for my PPPoE gigabit connection.

I have tried Merlin's latest beta firmware based on 7743 and the issue previously reported still occurs: wireless and wired speed are capped to 250 Mbps, so there's definitely something changed in Asus' code, at least for my PPPoE gigabit connection.
I have had that issue occur a few times after a firmware update and the ONLY solution that worked for me (every time it happened) was to clear NVRAM via SSH command line. Even the built in factory default reset did not work for me. Not sure why that is different but both times it happened I was limited to like 250 or so download and as soon as I cleared it via SSH things resolved. As you (or someone) stated it seems to only affect download, upload seems to be unaffected when this occurs. *Disclaimer if you choose to try this be sure to use the correct command for your particular model as to not clear the wrong area rendering your router useless.

I have had that issue occur a few times after a firmware update and the ONLY solution that worked for me (every time it happened) was to clear NVRAM via SSH command line. Even the built in factory default reset did not work for me. Not sure why that is different but both times it happened I was limited to like 250 or so download and as soon as I cleared it via SSH things resolved. As you (or someone) stated it seems to only affect download, upload seems to be unaffected when this occurs. *Disclaimer if you choose to try this be sure to use the correct command for your particular model as to not clear the wrong area rendering your router useless.
Would you, please, give me more details on clearing NVRAM via SSH command? If I remember well, I sort of did this after a factory reset, then restoring my previous settings via NVRAM User Save/Restore Utility, which asks for a NVRAM restore. How will I find the correct command for my model? Thanks in advance for your support.

7743 admin page accessed by ip started redirecting to router.asus.com (7378 did not)

Is there any way to disable this? It's mostly useless and reduces security. It should be clear from the url where you're sending your admin credentials. The public dns entry for router.asus.com (which is what gets used if you change your dns server to something other than the router) could be hijacked.

7743 admin page accessed by ip started redirecting to router.asus.com (7378 did not)

Is there any way to disable this? It's mostly useless and reduces security. It should be clear from the url where you're sending your admin credentials. The public dns entry for router.asus.com (which is what gets used if you change your dns server to something other than the router) could be hijacked.

a hosts file entry of:
Code:
0.0.0.0 router.asus.com
will prevent the redirect because the probe of router.asus.com will fail, but ideally some pref should control this

Is there any way to disable this?

I have not found a way to do this with stock firmware.

Merlin firmware has the option in the UI.

Capture.JPG

Would you, please, give me more details on clearing NVRAM via SSH command? If I remember well, I sort of did this after a factory reset, then restoring my previous settings via NVRAM User Save/Restore Utility, which asks for a NVRAM restore. How will I find the correct command for my model? Thanks in advance for your support.
Sorry for delayed response. Turns out there was an issue with PPPoE and the latest firmware apparently. Check out the Merlin 380.67 beta thread. Seems his latest beta has resolved that issue for certain routers using PPPoE connections. As for nvram clearing. There is a write-up in a main thread with information regarding that but perhaps that's not the issue currently. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Last edited: