What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81049

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I believe that the RT-AC2900 is the the same as the RT-AC86. You should probably move your question/comment to that thread instead.
(on that note though, I had the same experience as you. but reverted back to 81039, that actually works better for me than the 45717.)

Upgraded my RT-AC68U from 3.0.0.4.384.45717 to 3.0.0.4.384.81049.
So far so good.
Clients do connect and stay connected without issues, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
No CPU spikes.
The USB drive attached to the USB2 port functions well over SAMBA and by accessing it from Windows 10.
The system log only shows the auth/de-auth messages for connecting and disconnection clients, but not other then as can be explained by what really happens.

Upgraded my RT-AC68U from 3.0.0.4.384.45717 to 3.0.0.4.384.81049.
So far so good.
Clients do connect and stay connected without issues, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
No CPU spikes.
The USB drive attached to the USB2 port functions well over SAMBA and by accessing it from Windows 10.
The system log only shows the auth/de-auth messages for connecting and disconnection clients, but not other then as can be explained by what really happens.
Great! Did you do a clean or dirty install?

Great! Did you do a clean or dirty install?

In my case I did a WPS reset when I installed 45717 so that one was clean. I skipped 81039 and then did a simple firmware upgrade to 81049 and rebooting, so not clean.

The Mesh Node is WPS reset and re-added every time.

I have a spare RT-AC66U B1 standing by with a clean WPS reset installation of 81049 if anything strange crops up but so far no need.

same problem here, it's a pain in the behind transferring files with many folders.

Just had a conversation with ASUS.

They wrote that this Bug (Error 0x8007010B when creating a new folder) will be fixed in the next FW release.
They also wrote that in their opinion it is only a cosmetic bug cause the new folder is created nevertheless.

in my eyes it's NOT only a cosmetic bug cause transferring a folder with several sub-folders is really not possible any more (as you said).

So let's hope that the release comes out ASAP

Just had a conversation with ASUS.

They wrote that this Bug (Error 0x8007010B when creating a new folder) will be fixed in the next FW release.
They also wrote that in their opinion it is only a cosmetic bug cause the new folder is created nevertheless.

in my eyes it's NOT only a cosmetic bug cause transferring a folder with several sub-folders is really not possible any more (as you said).

So let's hope that the release comes out ASAP

Sounds like something I fixed a few months ago in my firmware. It was actually caused by an upgrade to the Tuxera NTFS driver. A config change was required in Samba to work around the issue. Just surprised to see the issue still there on stock firmware since they had another Tuxera driver update with that release.

Seems the openvpn server really unstable and I got something like cert. error at the "Export OpenVPN configuration file" field.
I tried restart on vpn server and even regenerated another new cert key pairs but the problem came back for less than a day.

Not yet, I need to borrow a friend's laptop. It seems that by giving away my desktop PC last year I'm now left without any devices that can make a wired connection. :-/
Buy a wired network dongle. A must have for a number of years!

Interested to see if anyone is seeing any additional abnormalities with this new fw release on the 68u now that it has been in the wild for almost a month now.. Seems nothing but problems on the 86u but this thread for the 68u has been somewhat silent which I'm assuming is a good thing.

Last edited:
Interested to see if anyone is seeing any additional abnormalities with this new fw release on the 68u now that it has been in the wild for almost a month now.. Seems nothing but problems on the 86u but this thread for the 68u has been somewhat silent which I'm assuming is a good thing.
My RT-AC68U runs smooth without issues after the upgrade at September 19.
It is setup straight forward, with a USB drive attached which I can access from W7 and W10 without a problem.
Wireless 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients do connect without interruptions, speed is ok.
The client list seems ok.
Only the system log gets loaded with Auth, Assoc, Reassoc and Deauth messages of the different clients that come and go.

Last edited:
It is setup straight forward, with a USB drive attached which I can access from W7 and W10 without a problem.
Wireless 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients do connect without interruptions, speed is ok.
Only the system log gets loaded with Auth, Assoc, Reassoc and Deauth messages of the different clients that come and go.
Well then you're not really running "smooth" are you if your log is filled up with Assoc/Reassoc and Deauthorize messages, all caused by the crappy firmware

Well then you're not really running "smooth" are you if your log is filled up with Assoc/Reassoc and Deauthorize messages, all caused by the crappy firmware
Not necessarily "crappy firmware". One could argue that even those normal events should be logged. However I wish the log-level was adjustable so it was optional.

Last edited:

Running smooth here as well. No unexplained disconnects. For me 81049 is extremely stable.

Similar "issues" here on RT-AX88U, or logs. Seems sometimes when I watch some streaming it stops, some kind of network interrupts. Because it happens also when i copy files over the network.

Not necessarily "crappy firmware". One could argue that even those normal events should be logged. However I wish the log-level was adjustable so it was optional.
Those aren't normal events. They are events CAUSED BY the router.

Those aren't normal events. They are events CAUSED BY the router.
Not as he described. They are caused by normal activity - "the different clients that come and go". Like when a mobile device goes out of area or AiMesh handoff to another router.

My RT-AC68U was bricked by the 3.0.0.4.384.81049 firmware, but apparently I'm the only one to experience such an occurrence. I've had the RT-AC68U for years, and my RT-AC86U updated to 3.0.0.4.384.81049 without issue. I applied the 3.0.0.4.384.81049 firmware as I always do, via the web UI. My 68U was a mesh node that connected to my 86U. Now it's dead. :-(