What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81049

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My RT-AC68U was bricked by the 3.0.0.4.384.81049 firmware, but apparently I'm the only one to experience such an occurrence. I've had the RT-AC68U for years, and my RT-AC86U updated to 3.0.0.4.384.81049 without issue. I applied the 3.0.0.4.384.81049 firmware as I always do, via the web UI. My 68U was a mesh node that connected to my 86U. Now it's dead. :-(

Did you upgrade all AiMesh nodes at once (automatically), or did you upload one at a time (manually)?

OE

try to load firmware with Asus restauration tool or via Mini-Web.

I've tried the ASUS restoration tool, but for the life of me I can't get it into rescue mode. I've tried everything (e.g. holding reset while powering on; holding WPS while powering on, holding both reset and WPS while powering on, etc.) and nothing worked. The power LED needs to be flashing slowly to indicate that the router is in rescue mode. Mine is flashing fast, which I've read indicates that it's in WPS processing mode. Even after trying all of the above to get it into rescue mode, the restoration tool states that "The wireless router is not in rescue mode."

I'll look into Mini-Web since that's something I've never heard of, but the ASUS restoration tool is a no-go so far. :-(

Did you upgrade all AiMesh nodes at once (automatically), or did you upload one at a time (manually)?

OE

All nodes at once, which I'm pretty sure is the only option available via the web UI. TBH I didn't know there was a manual option.

And yes, I know the RT-AC68U is one of the hardest routers to brick, but I think I did it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I really appreciate them! Especially as I was hoping to give the 68U to my Grandma.

All nodes at once, which I'm pretty sure is the only option available via the web UI. TBH I didn't know there was a manual option.

Then that precludes the possibility that you uploaded the wrong firmware to the 68U.

But raises the concern that AiMesh auto upgrades can mess up a node.

OE

A minor silly thing I noticed in the client overview:
upload_2019-10-12_16-30-2.png

One or more clients telling me "2 clients are connecting to the RT-AC68U through this device" while there really is nothing behind it.
One is an iPhone, the other is a PS4 in above example picture.

Untill some time ago I had an old RT-N66U as Media Bridge connected to the router, with a DVD player wired to the RT-N66U: then the DVD player showed the "2 clients are connecting to the RT-AC68U through this device" bullet while it should be the RT-N66U showing it.

Ah well, if that is all I am very happy.

Hm...and I noticed this in the system log, what does it mean?

Code:
Oct 12 08:43:59 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 890c91d
Oct 12 08:43:59 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18
Oct 12 08:44:01 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Oct 12 08:44:01 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Oct 12 08:44:15 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)

Hm...and I noticed this in the system log, what does it mean?

Code:
Oct 12 08:43:59 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 890c91d
Oct 12 08:43:59 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18
Oct 12 08:44:01 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Oct 12 08:44:01 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Oct 12 08:44:15 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)

It beans the TrendMicro engine just finished loading and initializing.