What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20585

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I use the firmware upgrade "onboard" it downloads, goes through the installation per the progress bar and then abort to the login screen. I've rebooted the node after that and it still shows the old firmware and will repeat the above describe process.

I've tried this on two separate nodes. Same results.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE - Manual DL and upload worked. Sorry, just wasn't thinking before the 2nd cup of coffee ;)
Version 3.0.0.4.385.20585
2020/06/19
36.74 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20585
- Fixed Let's encrypt certification renew bugs.
- Improved web history page loading speed.
- Fixed OpenVPN related bugs

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Last edited:
If I use the firmware upgrade "onboard" it downloads, goes through the installation per the progress bar and then abort to the login screen. I've rebooted the node after that and it still shows the old firmware and will repeat the above describe process.

I've tried this on two separate nodes. Same results.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE - Manual DL and upload worked. Sorry, just wasn't thinking before the 2nd cup of coffee ;)
When I first discover the upgrade as download, I download and upgrade manually; that is what I did for this version and without another reboot and no fresh start with factory defaults.
Other times I first notice the exclamation sign in the router GUI and do the upgrade right from there.

I got the following notice on my iPhone Asus app for my 68U....Is it the same 585 firmware?

upload_2020-6-20_10-7-44.jpeg

@netmann, who really knows? I would not update a router via an 'app', ever.

I got the following notice on my iPhone Asus app for my 68U....Is it the same 585 firmware?

View attachment 24182
It looks more like a corrupted firmware file (can not imagine it is something non genuine).
I expect to somehow be able to recognize the updated firmware version build number 3.0.0.4.385.20585 or at least 20585.

I suggest use a PC, download the firmware update file from the Asus website, login from the PC to the router and perform a manual update through the router GUI.

It looks more like a corrupted firmware file (can not imagine it is something non genuine).
I expect to somehow be able to recognize the updated firmware version build number 3.0.0.4.385.20585 or at least 20585.

I suggest use a PC, download the firmware update file from the Asus website, login from the PC to the router and perform a manual update through the router GUI.

Thank You!
Stay Safe from Covid-19

FYI

Even after I had upgraded to the 3.0.0.4.385.20585 version using the file download from the website listed in the first post of this thread, when I performed a router reset after successfully upgrading, during the initial setup I would be prompted that there is a firmware upgrade available even though I am already running the latest firmware. If I clicked the upgrade button, it would fail with an error within about 20 seconds.

Same issue will occur in the GUI if I go to Administration > System > Firmware and click the Check button. If I click the Firmware upgrade button, it appears that it has applied the new firmware, but when I log into the router, it is still on the old version.

Obviously a mismatch is on the ASUS server verses the website firmware for RT-AC68U.

Last edited:
FYI

Even after I had upgraded to the 3.0.0.4.385.20585 version using the file download from the website listed in the first post of this thread, when I performed a router reset after successfully upgrading, during the initial setup I would be prompted that there is a firmware upgrade available even though I am already running the latest firmware. If I clicked the upgrade button, it would fail with an error within about 20 seconds.

Same issue will occur in the GUI if I go to Administration > System > Firmware and click the Check button. If I click the Firmware upgrade button, it appears that it has applied the new firmware, but when I log into the router, it is still on the old version.

Obviously a mismatch is on the ASUS server verses the website firmware for RT-AC68U.
Maybe it is time to revert the router to factory defaults and manual configure the router again to clear up odd issues.

[EDIT]
I just ran the Update Checker on my router, it is happy with the latest firmware version:
upload_2020-6-21_10-45-55.png

Last edited:
Maybe it is time to revert the router to factory defaults and manual configure the router again to clear up odd issues.

I did and I still encountered the problem that others and myself have reported in this thread regarding being prompted for firmware upgrade that fails. You would still get prompted for the firmware upgrade even after you have installed the 3.0.0.4.385.20585 version.

During every firmware upgrade, I perform the following:
  1. Download the latest firmware from ASUS website.
  2. Sign-on to the router and manual upload the extracted firmware file to begin upgrade.
  3. Complete the firmware upgrade and sign-on to the router to check that the version number changed appropriately and quick review customized settings.
  4. Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router until power LED begins flashing and wait until router is ready for setup. This resets the router to default settings while using the current firmware.
  5. Perform router initial setup.
  6. Perform customized settings.
  7. Reboot router.
  8. Check all customized settings are still set properly.
  9. Save configuration file.
  10. Sign-out of router.

I did and I still encountered the problem that others and myself have reported in this thread regarding being prompted for firmware upgrade that fails. You would still get prompted for the firmware upgrade even after you have installed the 3.0.0.4.385.20585 version.

During every firmware upgrade, I perform the following:
  1. Download the latest firmware from ASUS website.
  2. Sign-on to the router and manual upload the extracted firmware file to begin upgrade.
  3. Complete the firmware upgrade and sign-on to the router to check that the version number changed appropriately and quick review customized settings.
  4. Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router until power LED begins flashing and wait until router is ready for setup. This resets the router to default settings while using the current firmware.
  5. Perform router initial setup.
  6. Perform customized settings.
  7. Reboot router.
  8. Check all customized settings are still set properly.
  9. Save configuration file.
  10. Sign-out of router.
Does step 3 show the proper firmware version after the upgrade?
Instead of step 4, why not revert to Factory defaults using the button in the GUI?
Wat are the differences between steps 5 and 6?
How do you perform step 7?

Does step 3 show the proper firmware version after the upgrade?
Yes. That is why I check that the version number changed appropriately in the GUI.

Instead of step 4, why not revert to Factory defaults using the button in the GUI?
Force of habit to use the reset button on the back of the router as more of a hard reset and hopefully clear/reset the NVRAM.

Where is the factory reset in the GUI and does it clear/reset the NVRAM?

Wat are the differences between steps 5 and 6?
How do you perform step 7?
Step 5 is the initial setup of setting-up the SSIDs and login/password to the router.
Step 6 is changing certain default settings to customized settings.
Step 7 is performed within the GUI to reboot the router.

Last edited:
[EDIT]
I just ran the Update Checker on my router, it is happy with the latest firmware version:
View attachment 24197

Using the 3.0.0.4.385.20585 version firmware and running the Firmware Check Update is now no longer offering a new firmware upgrade unlike on Saturday afternoon when it would offer a new firmware upgrade.

It appears that ASUS has synchronized their servers with the website firmware.

Last edited:
Yes. That is why I check that the version number changed appropriately in the GUI.

Force of habit to use the reset button on the back of the router as more of a hard reset and hopefully clear/reset the NVRAM.

Where is the factory reset in the GUI and does it clear/reset the NVRAM?

Step 5 is the initial setup of setting-up the SSIDs and login/password to the router.
Step 6 is changing certain default settings to customized settings.
Step 7 is performed within the GUI to reboot the router.
Alright, some more answers and suggestions:

Factory defaults:
Advanced Settings>Administration>Restore/Save/Upload Setting: in the Factory default area, set the checkbox to Initialize all settings ... and hit the Restore button.

Saved settings:
Be aware that Saved settings shall ONLY be used to Restore settings to an identical router with exactly the same firmware version as the settings was saved with.
It is wise to keep a self made text file (or screen shots) of settings you have made different from the factory defaults (keep it simple is the key word).

If you after a firmware upgrade set the router to factory defaults you shall NOT use the saved settings file from an old firmware version.
In this forum are ways described to otherwise save and restore your settings (those are not GUI tools).
For the poor man like me, the safest way is to manual enter your settings (with my text file of changes it is a 5 minutes job).

Suggested controlled firmware update method:
Note: many (personal) variations are possible and may be valid.
  1. Read the firmware release notes.
  2. Download the firmware update file for your router from the Asus website.
  3. Unpack the .trx file.
  4. Advanced Settings>Administration>Firmware Upgrade>In the Manual firmware update section, select: Upload
  5. Select the unpacked .trx file and go.
  6. Sit back and relax, wait until the upgrade has been finished.
  7. Usually an additional reboot nor revert to factory defaults are required.

When to reboot and revert to factory defaults:
  • Reboot when the router asks for it.
  • Reboot the router when odd issues occur.
  • Revert to factory defaults and manually enter your settings when a reboot does not fix your odd issues.
  • Revert to factory defaults and manually enter your settings when you skip a few firmware versions or changed firmware branch (e.g. Stock v.s. Merlin) with an upgrade.
  • If issues occur after you made a settings change, revert to the previous settings, make new changes one by one and test the result.

Could also verify the downloaded firmware file MD5 checksum value... and use a UPS to protect power while flashing. :)

OE

I had the same issue where the version number in the GUI Firmware Check Update appeared corrupted when it was initially released, I didn't update so I'm not sure if the actual firmware was corrupt.
Anyway it appears to be working normally now.

Great post wouterv and thank you for how to reset to defaults within the GUI.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1000925/

I use a NotePad text file for my router setup and customize settings for umpteen years.

I still plan to reset my router after each firmware upgrade and reapply my settings to avoid any upgrade issues. I do not wish to spend time troubleshooting an upgrade issue that was the result of needing to reset to factory default settings and reapply the custom settings. I understand my approach will not be for everyone.

For people that prefer to download the firmware update from the ASUS website, there is a YouTube simple explanation of how to verify the checksum of files using Windows PowerShell without having to install additional software. You first need to extract the firmware file before verifying the checksum of the extracted firmware file.

NOTE TO MODS: Please forgive me if external links are not allowed for educational purposes of this discussion and delete my link.

Last edited: