What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_48262

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After a Firmware Upgrade from the latest working Merlin Firmware i upgraded to 3.0.0.4.386_48262 and get 980 Mbps but after a factory reset all Problems are back and i only get 485 Mbps. Any ideas whats now wrong?
Insert the usb drive on the working firmware, login ssh, enter the following commands:
Code:
cd /tmp/mnt/sda1 # Go to the root directory of your usb drive
nvram show | sort > ./1000.txt

Then re-dump nvram on the buggy firmware
Code:
nvram show | sort > ./500.txt

Now compare the differences between the two files
Code:
diff 1000.txt 500.txt

Then you can try to find out which nvram variable is affecting the speed, maybe you can save a lot of AC68U users before the official solution is provided.

AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_48262 is a bad version for aimesh!!always disconnetcted .Downgrade to early version for all ok aimesh funciotanility.​

Insert the usb drive on the working firmware, login ssh, enter the following commands:
Code:
cd /tmp/mnt/sda1 # Go to the root directory of your usb drive
nvram show | sort > ./1000.txt

Then re-dump nvram on the buggy firmware
Code:
nvram show | sort > ./500.txt

Now compare the differences between the two files
Code:
diff 1000.txt 500.txt

Then you can try to find out which nvram variable is affecting the speed, maybe you can save a lot of AC68U users before the official solution is provided.
i'll try to reproduce his issue when I have availability and I'll report my findings here (might take a couple of days).

EDIT:

I just tried to reproduce it and I can't. It keeps having the max speed.

I'll still share the differences of the nvram settings between a dirty flash and the node re-added after resetting it once I clear all privacy sensitive data from it. It's going to take a while since the amount of differences is not trivial.

Last edited:
Upgraded my 2 node RT-AC68U mesh running over 5GhZ backhaul and my Mesh node didn't come back online.
Can't get it to join the mesh over WiFi, only ethernet, and if I then disconnect the ethernet cable, the node goes offline from the mesh regardless of what backhaul preferences I set - even if I set 5GhZ as preferred.
Anyone know how to get the mesh working again over WiFi connection? The node is in a location where I can't easily run a cable to it.

Thanks.

Upgraded my 2 node RT-AC68U mesh running over 5GhZ backhaul and my Mesh node didn't come back online.
Can't get it to join the mesh over WiFi, only ethernet, and if I then disconnect the ethernet cable, the node goes offline from the mesh regardless of what backhaul preferences I set - even if I set 5GhZ as preferred.
Anyone know how to get the mesh working again over WiFi connection? The node is in a location where I can't easily run a cable to it.

Thanks.
Additional note - I have downgraded both nodes to 3.0.0.4.386_46065 and my WiFi mesh functionality has returned. I hope this is a bug in the new code and not a "feature".

Additional note - I have downgraded both nodes to 3.0.0.4.386_46065 and my WiFi mesh functionality has returned. I hope this is a bug in the new code and not a "feature".
I wrote a few posts above that it does not work with wireles backhaul.

someone else wrote about it too

I wrote a few posts above that it does not work with wireles backhaul.

someone else wrote about it too

Thanks. Does anyone know if this is a bug that is likely to be fixed or have ASUS done this by design? I guess I should try to file a bug report and see what the response is (if any).

This is a bug and must be reported. I've already done it. The more people report it, the sooner Asus will fix it.

I have also done so.
ASUS asked for some logs which I sent them, and their response was that I needed to upgrade to 48262 again, then factory default both routers and rebuild my network config by hand without using a previously saved config file.
I have neither the time nor the inclination to do this and I told them so, their answer was that they couldn't offer any further help.
So I am sticking with the previous version and very unimpressed with their response given that (many) previous upgrades have been totally problem free.

Most likely some of the updates may have tightned up security and maybe has new protocols for the mesh to talk to each other. Without the reset to defaults, it may try to use protocols that have been deprecated due to security.

Most likely some of the updates may have tightned up security and maybe has new protocols for the mesh to talk to each other. Without the reset to defaults, it may try to use protocols that have been deprecated due to security.
HI Andy, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure I buy into this line of thinking.

If I had only upgraded one router in the mesh I might be convinced - but as I had upgraded both to the same code version I would expect that to work.
If the configuration (or a saved configuration file) specified a deprecated version, I would expect the new code to handle that eventuality and set both switches to use a suitable version of the protocol.
I think this is just a simple bug that needs fixing by Asus.

ASUS asked for some logs which I sent them, and their response was that I needed to upgrade to 48262 again, then factory default both routers and rebuild my network config by hand without using a previously saved config file.
I have neither the time nor the inclination to do this and I told them so, their answer was that they couldn't offer any further help.
So I am sticking with the previous version and very unimpressed with their response given that (many) previous upgrades have been totally problem free.
i made factory default for aimesh router and node....not help.

I hope Asus fix wireles backhaul in the next firmware release...factory reset for principal and secondary router didn't give me any help!

i made factory default for aimesh router and node....not help.
Do you have syslog output when you did this?
ASUS have sent me a form to complete to escalate to 2nd level support. I don't have syslogs from when I was trying to join mesh under 48262. If someone can post syslog from an attempt to join a Mesh under 48262 after a factory default, that would be really helpful.

Unfortunately I do not have.

Do you have syslog output when you did this?
ASUS have sent me a form to complete to escalate to 2nd level support. I don't have syslogs from when I was trying to join mesh under 48262. If someone can post syslog from an attempt to join a Mesh under 48262 after a factory default, that would be really helpful.
Same problem here. My AX-58U suddenly stopped working on the 5Ghz WiFi backhaul. Plugging it into the router with an ethernet backhaul works, but as soon as I remove the ethernet it won't reconnect nor switch back to wireless. I tried to shut down one, then both routers but it didn't resolve. Interesting is that the auto setting for how to connect a mesh router is simply ignored and it stays on ethernet and when I set it to WiFi manually it stops working as well. Strange that is worked for more than 2 weeks on the latest firmware and suddenly stopped today.

Same problem here. My AX-58U suddenly stopped working on the 5Ghz WiFi backhaul. Plugging it into the router with an ethernet backhaul works, but as soon as I remove the ethernet it won't reconnect nor switch back to wireless. I tried to shut down one, then both routers but it didn't resolve. Interesting is that the auto setting for how to connect a mesh router is simply ignored and it stays on ethernet and when I set it to WiFi manually it stops working as well. Strange that is worked for more than 2 weeks on the latest firmware and suddenly stopped today.
If you have a syslog from your system please upload it and I'll send it to Asus as part of my existing support case.

I'm at work right now, but can send it later today.

I don't want to disrupt the trouble-shooting, but I'd like to share my experience when first upgradin my aimesh units to 4.0.0.4.386: when resetting a node in order to add it, the wait-time before the node shows up in the available node list is abnormally long compared to earlier versions. I assume now that this is because of:
1) Added default log-in which supports BOTH http and https on lan. I believe that the node tries to fetch a valid https certificate after boot. The http-deamon has to timeout these requests, which can take many minutes, before it completes startup.
2) for https to work, correct time and dates may be required on both devices. On a reset node, this might be a faulting error.
3) Depending on build default settings (or inherited from last install), https might be set as required for wireless admin access. This might not be possible until a valid certificate is available online.

I recommend to login to the node and verify that either http-only is accepted as login via wifi, or that date and time is set manually after a reset. Also wait a lot (more than 8 minutes after boot).