What's new

Asus RT-AC68U Mapped Drives Windows 10 error/disconnects constant Error 0x8007010B

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xbones

New Around Here
So ever since the latest Windows 10 update and the lastest Merlin firmware 384.9, there have been more and more reports of users getting error 0x8007010B when transferring or trying to connect to their mapped drives via Asus router usb.

I'm not that technical with all the jiber jaber of what is the cause but I did find a solution and I was hoping you could implement it in the next version of your Amazing Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

The error is when you try transferring a folder to a mapped drive:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from moving the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.
Error 0x8007010B: The directory name is invalid."

I click Try again and it works fine. But every folder I receive this error.

The fix is here!!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/error-0x8007010b-on-rt-ax88u.54205/

Can you implement to next firmware or is this something the end user has to do manually?

Thank you for all your work!

Last edited:
BUMP any word on a fix for this? I reverted back to 384.7 and the problem went away, definitely firmware issue.

I am using Windows 10 to access ext4 filesystems via Samba version 2 only. The smb defaults have worked flawlessly for me.

I infer that the original poster wants the smb.conf firmware default to change as if their circumstance is universal. The default in question might be changing "store dos attributes = yes" to "no".

I suspect that changing the default from yes to no may cause as many problems as it may solve. However, after hours of web searches, I have not found informed, concrete arguments either way. Whether it is an SMBv1 (deprecated), NTFS issue or something else, who knows.

I am using Windows 10 to access ext4 filesystems via Samba version 2 only. The smb defaults have worked flawlessly for me.

I infer that the original poster wants the smb.conf firmware default to change as if their circumstance is universal. The default in question might be changing "store dos attributes = yes" to "no".

I suspect that changing the default from yes to no may cause as many problems as it may solve. However, after hours of web searches, I have not found informed, concrete arguments either way. Whether it is an SMBv1 (deprecated), NTFS issue or something else, who knows.
I'd agree with this. I was also curious as to why this change has suddenly become necessary. I spent probably more hours than was sensible trying to get to the bottom of it but never did.

It appears to be an NTFS-only issue. It doesn't appear to be related to the SMB protocol particularly. The current setting for "store dos attributes" appears to be correct, and has been working for many years without problem. So I'd be reluctant to change the router's default as that would be a"work around" to an unidentified problem rather than a fix.

I suspect it's a compatibility problem with the NTFS driver on the router, but I can't prove that as I can't reproduce the problem. If anybody can reproduce it that might help.

I'd agree with this. I was also curious as to why this change has suddenly become necessary. I spent probably more hours than was sensible trying to get to the bottom of it but never did.

It appears to be an NTFS-only issue. It doesn't appear to be related to the SMB protocol particularly. The current setting for "store dos attributes" appears to be correct, and has been working for many years without problem. So I'd be reluctant to change the router's default as that would be a"work around" to an unidentified problem rather than a fix.

I suspect it's a compatibility problem with the NTFS driver on the router, but I can't prove that as I can't reproduce the problem. If anybody can reproduce it that might help.

Indeed, my drives are formatted with NTFS. Thanks for taking the time for the above replies, appreciate the efforts!

@RMerlin I think this problem is connected to an update of the Tuxera NTFS driver (tntfs.ko).

Reports of this problem on the RT-AC68U started appearing after release of 384.8_0. This coincides with a change from the old driver (3015.1.29.8_1) to 3018.6.22d.

Reports of the problem on the RT-AC86U go back as far as the initial commit of GPL 3.0.0.3.382_15098. The driver back then was 3016.7.1.2.3 and has subsequently also been updated to 3018.6.22d.

So my guess is the problem was introduced somewhere between versions 3015.1.29.8_1 and 3016.7.1.2.3.

Do you have any thoughts? I know these are binary blobs so you can't fix them. Does your crystal ball see any updated drivers appearing in the near future? Perhaps it's a problem with Samba. I see that Tuxera ship a modified version of smbd, but it's not used as far as I can tell.

To anyone else with this problem: Have you tried the current stock Asus firmware? Does that have the same problem?

Disclaimer: This is all speculation on my part as I don't run any of the effected firmware versions.

I don't. I have no info regarding the Tuxera drivers.
OK Thanks anyway.

I wonder how "stand alone" the driver is? I'm wondering whether it's possible to rmmod the current driver and insmod the old one, for testing purposes. Then again, presumably there's a reason Tuxera updated the driver, bug fixes etc.

this is my big problem with AC68U right now.. in the middle of anything (watching movie, copying..) suddenly my usb 3.0 disk just disconnects & i cant even connect to routers gui (most of the time after this)

this wasnt as bad as it is now, what is wrong suddenly? I am on 384.11_2

this is my big problem with AC68U right now.. in the middle of anything (watching movie, copying..) suddenly my usb 3.0 disk just disconnects & i cant even connect to routers gui (most of the time after this)
If you can't connect to the router's GUI then you've got a bigger problem than the one discussed in this thread. Try looking in the router's syslog (once you're able to log back in) for error messages around the time the problem occurred. It sounds like it might be a hardware issue rather than software.

this wasnt as bad as it is now, what is wrong suddenly? I am on 384.11_2
Switch the USB3 port to USB2 operation. Don't complain about loosing speed just try it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

well for those few days it seems that keeping it on usb2.0 mode is working...
question is, what can be done about fixing usb3.0 mode? because it´s slow as hell

question is, what can be done about fixing usb3.0 mode? because it´s slow as hell

On the RT-AC68U router, USB 3.0 mode is hit and miss. Depends on how the drive is used and how it is being accessed too.

You can try to get a very well shielded USB cable and ends to see if it helps, but the real solution is to get a router that is properly designed (RF insulated) for USB 3.0 operation.

ok, so like is it not the firmware thing? some faulty driver or something? because my first impression was, this doesnt happened so often as is now with the last fw..

Invest in a good NAS! You and your router will be much happier.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!